DUNE by:Frank Herbert illustrated by:SC -commentary

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

Simon

Post by Simon »

inhuien wrote:Oh you're such a tease, Just a preview of Chapter 3. :( :wink: :lol:

It looks like some of your most detailed work yet, how long have you been drawing? Do you have any interest in making it your career?
Well, I've been drawing since sometime before I was two (as I hear it told, I don't remember honestly). Sorry about the tease, this page took FOREVER :shock: due to the rain, and I wanted to share. Maybe I'll just post as I complete the pages, I don't think I have the patience to hold these pages back :lol:

As for a career doing this.... I'm trying! :P 8)
Simon

Post by Simon »

orald wrote:Nice! Am I correct in assuming you draw alot of the design style from the Lynch movie?
Some of the designs are really not what I've imagined, but no one imagines the same anyway.

Yeah, one thing I've learned here is that no two of people imagine the exact same thing. As to the question of style, it's actually my own, but the David Lynch DUNE (for better or worse) was a major influence on me over all (for me it's right up there with old school Star Wars).

I'm not consciously trying to lift Lynch's style but I, like he, or even because of him (who knows?), saw a darker Duniverse when I read.

Also I wanted this thing to appeal to all Dune fans, so in certain instances I went with certain items of Duniverse apparel that seem to be universally accepted as they've been depicted similarly by several artist (for example: Feyd's "shirt" as I depicted it has been featured in both Dune film versions (worn by Sting and Paul Smith in the 84 version and by Atherton as Idaho in the CoD mini-series) also in other illustrated images by various artist over the years.

I want to get as close to the book as one person can get, but there will never be a hands down 100% everyone thinks it's just perfect illustrated or filmed adaption of DUNE, bringing it all back to that we all see different stuff when we read thing.

I listen though. I have been paying attention to the extensive thopter debates on these boards since July. Next time I draw a thopter in the comic it will be very different from the "no frills" cargo thopter we see at the beginning of chapter one.

I feel that thopters like cars or glo-globes would vary greatly in design, the thopter Leto, Liet and Co. take out to the desert in section one would look very different than the thopter/space transport the Guild would provide a RM for a short drop off pick up run, one being for repeated atmospheric escapes and reentries and the other for on earthbound transport...
orald

Post by orald »

Simon wrote:I'm not consciously trying to lift Lynch's style but I, like he, or even because of him (who knows?), saw a darker Duniverse when I read.
Even if you wanted to draw directly from the movie's design, there's naught wrong with it.
I do believe Dune should have a partially "gritty" and "low tech" design to the technology, but also with lots of "officialness" to it, like for example uniforms not being just camoflague, but more like medieval up to 19th century period uniforms(imagine Napolionic uniforms- so elaborate, stuffy and complicated yet they went to war with such). I'd imagine them as modern armies fighting with ceremonial uniforms(and I guess that's what the Lynch designers saw too).
I listen though. I have been paying attention to the extensive thopter debates on these boards since July. Next time I draw a thopter in the comic it will be very different from the "no frills" cargo thopter we see at the beginning of chapter one.
Well, there are several types of 'thopters for different rolls, though FH never went much byond the basic design and size.
Like the big troop carrier holds 300(?) soldiers- that's friggin' huge!
It'd have to be the size of a 747, or maybe bit stockier.

Personally I think the pictures I've posted show what a basic type should look like(though this one is a bit prettied up and fancy).
You can see by the name what it's supposed to be- the body of a helicopter with flapping, flexible wings made of lots of small scales and "feathers".
That's what I hated about the Lynch and miniseries ones, they look like unerodynamic blocks with fixed, stocky wings.
I feel that thopters like cars or glo-globes would vary greatly in design, the thopter Leto, Liet and Co. take out to the desert in section one would look very different than the thopter/space transport the Guild would provide a RM for a short drop off pick up run, one being for repeated atmospheric escapes and reentries and the other for on earthbound transport...
I thought she got into the 'thopter at the Caladan space port, there's never a mention of 'thopter being space capable(their wings and jets wouldn't really work anyway until they've reached several dozen Km altitude at least due to the air being too thin and by that time they'll be frying or breaking their wings with the air ressistence-it'd be much fiercer than a coriolis storm).
Also, in GEoD, when the Guild sends malky, they use something akin to a rocket, using thrusters to slow down.
Also, in HoD and ChD the BG use only shuttle\rocket like vehicles for space to surface transportation.
I see 'thopters as being limited to roles of helicopters to fighter jets.

But I agree different roles would have slightly different designs.
Military would be more robust(they also have lasguns and some have shield generators), some have to be the size of passenger planes and the carryall even bigger.
In memory of Perach, who suffered and died needlessly.

I wish I could have been with you that one last time.
Rakis

Post by Rakis »

orald wrote:Nice! Am I correct in assuming you draw alot of the design style from the Lynch movie?
Some of the designs are really not what I've imagined, but no one imagines the same anyway.

But I think something like this is more suitable for 'thopters.
Don't know who made this, I think I got it from 'Keen a long time ago, but I think it's a very good interpentation of 'thopters(I'd rather have it a bit more rectangularish though, to make it look less smooth and advanced, grittier).
Nice looking, but a bit Star Trekkich... :?
orald

Post by orald »

You mean clean and high-techish? Frankly, ST would die to have a design as good as this, their design is bulky and stupid even when they try to appear high-tech.

Rakis

Post by Rakis »

orald wrote:You mean clean and high-techish? Frankly, ST would die to have a design as good as this, their design is bulky and stupid even when they try to appear high-tech.
It's too Romulan-like for me...not Federation style. :P
valys

Post by valys »

Imagine that thopter out of that setting, with a more sandy colouring and flying over the desert :D
Like I said before, I never repeat myself.
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

I think it's awesome. I'd guess it's corrino judging by the lions.
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

I love it too. Organic lines, and it makes use of just as much high tech as it needs to do the job right.

Though Ive looked closely and damned if I can see the giant clams that power the thing. :P

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
orald

Post by orald »

Giant clams? Doon? Or was it the DE? :P

I need to read the first someday...but won't bother with the DE.

Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

The DE said thopters were powered by a "land mollusk". :roll:
orald

Post by orald »

Yea, I thought as much. And people still take some refrences from the DE? :lol:

Probably P&B do even if they contradict it to cover it up.

Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

That is the stupidest thing in the entire DE, so that is as bad as it gets. But I like that book.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
GamePlayer
70mm God

Post by GamePlayer »

I agree. As silly as the DE can get, if you read it like a proofreader/editor, it works brilliantly as a resource. There's plenty of solid reference in the book despite the fanon invented for it. An edited/abridged version would be ideal, but I'll take the DE as it is in the absence of that.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

It's better than the pulp the HLP is mass producing.
GamePlayer
70mm God

Post by GamePlayer »

Freakzilla wrote:It's better than the pulp the HLP is mass producing.
That too. It also has the virtue of being Frank Herbert-exclusive; an encyclopedia without any prequel crap in it. This is very valuable to a fan of the Frank books since it doesn't force the fan to acknowledge and accept anything beyond Frank's original writings.

Hehehe, no doubt that very reason was a big contributing factor in the HLP's decision to prevent reprinting of the DE :) Too bad for them that we're in the age of the internet, biatches :)
Rakis

Post by Rakis »

GamePlayer wrote:
Freakzilla wrote:It's better than the pulp the HLP is mass producing.
That too. It also has the virtue of being Frank Herbert-exclusive; an encyclopedia without any prequel crap in it. This is very valuable to a fan of the Frank books since it doesn't force the fan to acknowledge and accept anything beyond Frank's original writings.

Hehehe, no doubt that very reason was a big contributing factor in the HLP's decision to prevent reprinting of the DE :) Too bad for them that we're in the age of the internet, biatches :)

HARUM ! :P
Simon

Post by Simon »

Freakzilla wrote:I think it's awesome. I'd guess it's corrino judging by the lions.
Looked like a red Atreides hawk to me... :P
orald

Post by orald »

Shh, don't tell him! :o

Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

The statues on either side of the thopter look like lions to me.
orald

Post by orald »

More like lionesses, but anyway, the big red hawk on the wall and on the pad beneath the 'thopter(where you can see part of it peeping) would make this an Atreides pad.

Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

D'oh! I did't notice those before.
orald

Post by orald »

Smokin' that shit does that to you... :lol:

Rakis

Post by Rakis »

For what we saw on screen so far, i like the Thopter of the mini series, nice insect-like design and movement.

It beats the Lynch design that look like they stole it from a B-movie of the fifties like...

Plan 9 from Outer Space ! :lol: God i love that movie...
orald

Post by orald »

Actually, I don't recall the miniseries having anything better, they both sucked in 'thopter design. Hopefully Simon won't.