Keith J. Hackerson's DUNE BLOG / tehKJA's Blahg(kjablog.com)

Moderators: Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ, Omphalos

SandRider
Watermaster

Keith J. Hackerson's DUNE BLOG / tehKJA's Blahg(kjablog.com)

Post by SandRider »

DUNE BLOG
Saturday, November 29, 2008

Mexico to Los Angeles
On the night after leaving Guatemala we had a roller-coaster ride over seas that the captain classified as "very rough" -- 12-18 ft swells -- which made for interesting sleeping as well as a staggering challenge to go get coffee for me and Rebecca in the morning. Heading up the coast of southern Mexico, we stopped in the sheltered bays of a newly developed resort area, Huatulco. The ship docked only for the afternoon, but we walked through the small town, looked in some shops, and had a lovely table on the beach where we were served margaritas, fresh-fried tortilla chips, guacamole, a local salsa, and sweet fried plantains. It was wonderful (and only underscored my disappointment that none of the tours in the other Central American countries had served the local cuisine).

From Huatulco, we had three at-sea days sailing northward to Los Angeles. I enjoyed the time to read, edit, and watch movies. I edited another short story for a horror anthology, and Rebecca and I spent a lot of time walking around the decks, brainstorming Terra Incognita 2 as well as a new kids' adventure series we're planning. Even with all the relaxing aboard ship, I managed to spend an hour in the gym almost every day (trying not to lose too much ground!). Each night in the dining room we've been taken care of by two excellent servers (George from Romania and Veronica from Mexico). We've eaten way too much over the past 14 days.

For movies, we watched The Golden Compass, 21, The Cooler, American Gangster, Horton Hears a Who, and The Martian Child -- based on the short story, then novel, by David Gerrold ("The Trouble with Tribbles"), who as a single dad had himself adopted a troubled young boy and raised him; Rebecca and I have known David for years, and we watched him go through many of those experiences.

Early tomorrow morning we dock in LA and go through the chaos of customs, retrieving our luggage, and then being picked up by Rebecca's brother Mark. We're all staying with Mark and his family Sunday and Monday until we fly home Monday night. (It's not easy getting a flight home at the end of Thanksgiving weekend.)

We've seen a lot of things, recharged our batteries, did some relaxing and energizing, and I even got a fair amount of work done -- proofed the galleys for ENEMIES & ALLIES, finished the edit of JESSICA OF DUNE, polished two new short stories, and developed the detailed outline for the second Terra Incognita novel. But it'll be good to be sleeping in our own bed again. It remains to be seen if the cats remember us!

-- KJA

>> edited 03May2011 to amend topic title
Last edited by SandRider on 03 May 2011 02:23, edited 1 time in total.
................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
how to fully interact with people.
~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008
Rakis

Post by Rakis »

You know, KJA's blogs are exactly like his books : Low on content, boring, irrelevant for the most part and the part that is relevant could be summarise in 5 or 6 words instead of a paragraph... :)
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

"Finished the edit ..."

I'll translate that:

"I let Brian think he's making a few changes, then just hit un-do. It's 500 pages of pure Kevin, baby."
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
Frybread

Post by Frybread »

Boring! I'd almost rather read PoD than this blog!
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

Frybread wrote:Boring! I'd almost rather read PoD than this blog!
I know. But we've got folks here who won't darken dunenovels.com's door.
I'm a Democrat : I believe in equal opportunity suffering.
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
Frybread

Re: Keith J. Hackerson's DUNE BLOG

Post by Frybread »

SandRider wrote:
DUNE BLOG
Saturday, November 29, 2008

Mexico to Los Angeles
On the night after leaving Guatemala we had a roller-coaster ride over seas that the captain classified as "very rough" -- 12-18 ft swells -- which made for interesting sleeping as well as a staggering challenge to go get coffee for me and Rebecca in the morning. Heading up the coast of southern Mexico, we stopped in the sheltered bays of a newly developed resort area, Huatulco. The ship docked only for the afternoon, but we walked through the small town, looked in some shops, and had a lovely table on the beach where we were served margaritas, fresh-fried tortilla chips, guacamole, a local salsa, and sweet fried plantains. It was wonderful (and only underscored my disappointment that none of the tours in the other Central American countries had served the local cuisine).

From Huatulco, we had three at-sea days sailing northward to Los Angeles. I enjoyed the time to read, edit, and watch movies. I edited another short story for a horror anthology, and Rebecca and I spent a lot of time walking around the decks, brainstorming Terra Incognita 2 as well as a new kids' adventure series we're planning. Even with all the relaxing aboard ship, I managed to spend an hour in the gym almost every day (trying not to lose too much ground!). Each night in the dining room we've been taken care of by two excellent servers (George from Romania and Veronica from Mexico). We've eaten way too much over the past 14 days.

For movies, we watched The Golden Compass, 21, The Cooler, American Gangster, Horton Hears a Who, and The Martian Child -- based on the short story, then novel, by David Gerrold ("The Trouble with Tribbles"), who as a single dad had himself adopted a troubled young boy and raised him; Rebecca and I have known David for years, and we watched him go through many of those experiences.

Early tomorrow morning we dock in LA and go through the chaos of customs, retrieving our luggage, and then being picked up by Rebecca's brother Mark. We're all staying with Mark and his family Sunday and Monday until we fly home Monday night. (It's not easy getting a flight home at the end of Thanksgiving weekend.)

We've seen a lot of things, recharged our batteries, did some relaxing and energizing, and I even got a fair amount of work done -- proofed the galleys for ENEMIES & ALLIES, finished the edit of JESSICA OF DUNE, polished two new short stories, and developed the detailed outline for the second Terra Incognita novel. But it'll be good to be sleeping in our own bed again. It remains to be seen if the cats remember us!

-- KJA
So he's finished editing JoD, huh? What's the point when -- since FH's books are all in-universe texts -- Comb-over and The Other Guy's books don't have to be accurate.
GamePlayer
70mm God

Post by GamePlayer »

I'm not reading that crap. Someone give me the executive summary :) :P
"They can chew you up, but they gotta spit you out."
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

Blah, blah, blah...more stupid. There you go.
Seraphan

Post by Seraphan »

Your typical saturday morning cartoon villain rant.
"The beginning of knowledge is the discovery of something we do not understand." - Frank Herbert
“This tutoring is dialectical. Literature makes us better noticers of life; we get to practice on life itself; which in turn makes us better readers of detail in literature; which in turn makes us better readers of life. And so on and on.” - James Wood
GamePlayer
70mm God

Post by GamePlayer »

Thanks. That saved me the effort.
Drunken Idaho

Post by Drunken Idaho »

This is the most exciting part. FUCKING RIVETING!

WSBVGSo;jarg0[9qW34[ NGT;QAEVEIO[ARGNSDL;ZFBNA'KD FZ
"The Idahos were never ordinary people."
-Reverend Mother Superior Alma Mavis Taraza
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

GamePlayer wrote:I'm not reading that crap. Someone give me the executive summary :) :P
I came. I sailed. I barfed. I bitched. (he had to do one better than Caesar).

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
Sole Man

On KJA's blog

Post by Sole Man »

*You guys hear a gunshot, follwed by me yelling "And Stay dead!" (But its all misspelled somehow) *

Anyway, why are we giving Kevin the attention he desperaretly wants? You're just feeding him, making him think that people read his blog. That bastard...

He is the comb in the darkness. He is the Dark Hack on his Dark toilet. He is the breaking wind. He is silent but deadly. He is a watchful series destroyer. A mencace to Free-lancers everywhere...A Super-Hack.

*Credits roll*
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Omphalos wrote:I came. I sailed. I barfed. I bitched. (he had to do one better than Caesar).
:lol:

Gawd, don't give him any ideas! Next he'll be writing sequels and prequels to Commentaries on the Gallic War. (Turns out all of Caesar's works were actually written by his "nephew secretary", who was a young and handsome time-traveling scifi author who just happened to have minored in Latin at uni.)

A longer, more accurate summary in the same vein:

I sailed. I hiked. I met Juanito. I c.... You get the picture. ;)
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
Nebiros

Post by Nebiros »

More short stories?!!! I knew they would try to trick fans out of their money again.

How dare they publish a book knowing they have devout fans that will immediately buy their books and then publish the SAME thing only with a short story added to it so fans are forced to buy the same crap again?!

I used to be a fan of the new Dune novels. Now after their dastardly trick with the short stories and the horrible Sandworms ending, I have switched sides to the haters.

I can't emphasise enough how betrayed I feel. Like most other Dune fans I'm just waiting until they STOP.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

What exactly are you ranting about now? Did I miss something?
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Seriously, Bill? Did it finally sink in? Or are you really just pissed off at the BG and decided to take it out on Kevie and his lil daughter, BH?

Goodnight Golden Path!
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

SandChigger wrote:
Omphalos wrote:I came. I sailed. I barfed. I bitched. (he had to do one better than Caesar).

Gawd, don't give him any ideas! Next he'll be writing sequels and prequels to Commentaries on the Gallic War. (Turns out all of Caesar's works were actually written by his "nephew secretary", who was a young and handsome time-traveling scifi author who just happened to have minored in Latin at uni.)

A longer, more accurate summary in the same vein:

I sailed. I hiked. I met Juanito. I c.... You get the picture. ;)
I can see it now. Caesar sucks his blood from the Senate floor back into his body, looks up and says, "Nunc tu, Brute!"

Goodnight Golden Path!
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

Keith's 06 December 2008 Dune Blog entry { http://www.dunenovels.com/blog/page075.html }
"Cruise Scrapbook" is one picture of a boat and a link { http://www.wordfire.com/scrapbooks/scra ... og061.html }
to his wordfire blog. Keith is as lame a landscape photographer as he is a "writer",
but there are a few pictures of him that might provide demotivator material or some
pics for another "Life of Brian". (Which is overdue again, Chig. What happend to the
weekly schedule ? Don't work well under pressure with a deadline, you say ? You wait
for inspiration and a creative idea, instead of slapping some shit together, you say ? Well,
you'll never make in this business, then.) There's one picture of him
standing on the railing of the ship wearing a Paul of Dune T-shirt.
ImageImage

Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

Nebiros wrote:More short stories?!!! I knew they would try to trick fans out of their money again.

How dare they publish a book knowing they have devout fans that will immediately buy their books and then publish the SAME thing only with a short story added to it so fans are forced to buy the same crap again?!

I used to be a fan of the new Dune novels. Now after their dastardly trick with the short stories and the horrible Sandworms ending, I have switched sides to the haters.

I can't emphasise enough how betrayed I feel. Like most other Dune fans I'm just waiting until they STOP.

Good. I can feel your anger... Give in to your anger. With each passing
moment, you make yourself more my servant... Give yourself to the dark side.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
GamePlayer
70mm God

Post by GamePlayer »

Hehehe :)

"Use your feeble talents, Kevvy. Let the lame flow through you"

:)
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

KJA even takes boring photographs.

His power to control the forces of boredom is simply breathtaking.
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
Drunken Idaho

Post by Drunken Idaho »

"The Idahos were never ordinary people."
-Reverend Mother Superior Alma Mavis Taraza
GamePlayer
70mm God

Post by GamePlayer »

I think I'm took much of a film geek to understand that one. I never have trouble following dialog in a film, even the ultra-cheese dialog.