Dosadi

Moderators: Mr. Teg, Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

orald

Post by orald »

Gowachin law does indeed seem to represent this "culling" PoV, as only the better lawyers and judges survive long.
Dosadi was defenitely a case of studying natural selection.

In fact their whole culture is very much based on natural selection.
In memory of Perach, who suffered and died needlessly.

I wish I could have been with you that one last time.
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

Which do you cull, the homosexual or the drunk?

Old Army joke:

Which would you rather have in a foxhole with you, a homosexual or a drug addict?

The homosexual, at least you can count on him covering your ass.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
orald

Post by orald »

I have my eyes on the hot ass of a 16 y-o working at a pet shop near us, is that bad? :oops:
Actually he's a tad bit shy of 16.

A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

orald wrote:I have my eyes on the hot ass of a 16 y-o working at a pet shop near us, is that bad? :oops:
14 is legal as you could want it to be here (or in Alberta anyways, not sure about BC), so instead of giving you my opinion, you can have the opinion of our people en-mass : 14 and over is fair game.

So say the people. :lol:

I like to hold myself to a higher standard personally, but I can't argue with the law now can I?
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

A Thing of Eternity wrote:
orald wrote:I have my eyes on the hot ass of a 16 y-o working at a pet shop near us, is that bad? :oops:
14 is legal as you could want it to be here (or in Alberta anyways, not sure about BC), so instead of giving you my opinion, you can have the opinion of our people en-mass : 14 and over is fair game.

I like to hold myself to a higher standard personally, but I can't argue with the law now can I?
Not for adults, surely. Better verify that before you hook up. :wink:

I believe the age of consent in Georgia is 16, raised from 14 recently, but anyone under 18 is statutory rape for an adult.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Baraka Bryan wrote:
Freakzilla wrote:

I believe the age of consent in Georgia is 16, raised from 14 recently, but anyone under 18 is statutory rape for an adult.
in canada it recently changed from 14 to 16 as well. and there is a clause for for a difference in years for anyone under 18.. can't remember the exact details
I think they're trying to pass a law here against minors with more than a three year age difference doin' it.
~Pink Snowman
A Thing of Eternity

Baraka Bryan wrote:
Freakzilla wrote:

in canada it recently changed from 14 to 16 as well. and there is a clause for for a difference in years for anyone under 18.. can't remember the exact details
How recently? It was 14 a couple years ago in Alberta, and that was legal for anyone, not just under 18. You could be 40 and have a 15 year old girlfriend as long as you weren't in a position of authority in their life (parent, teacher).

EDIT: not saying I aprove of that, but that is what the law was last time I checked, and I did check, not just hear it on the street. (I had a 17 year old girlfriend when I was 20).
SimonH

Post by SimonH »

in Aus it varies by state, but 16 is generally the age of consent and it doesn't matter how old the person you are screwing is :D

BUT if you are male and gay (how is that for discrimination) you can't do it with someone until you are 18. No-one has had the balls to oppose this one yet.
A Thing of Eternity

SimonH wrote:in Aus it varies by state, but 16 is generally the age of consent and it doesn't matter how old the person you are screwing is :D

BUT if you are male and gay (how is that for discrimination) you can't do it with someone until you are 18. No-one has had the balls to oppose this one yet.
Wow, that's weird.
SimonH

Post by SimonH »

no shit. "bring on the 16 year old lesbians, but forget my son touching another man until his old enough to avoid making that mistake"

we are pretty backwards in some ways down here :D
A Thing of Eternity

SimonH wrote:no shit. "bring on the 16 year old lesbians, but forget my son touching another man until his old enough to avoid making that mistake"

we are pretty backwards in some ways down here :D
Oh well, hopefully their working on that. We all have some crazy backwards stuff in our countries.
SimonH

Post by SimonH »

sure. you guys seem to have the better regulations in regards to pot though.

I never understood how you could make a plant illegal.
A Thing of Eternity

SimonH wrote:sure. you guys seem to have the better regulations in regards to pot though.

Well, to be fair I think any intoxicating substance should be controlled. Alcohol, pot, mushrooms, acid, heroin, coke, it all has some danger. That said, I just think it should quasi-legal like alcohol, not banned entirely.

Don't forget too, pot is still illegal here, the cops just pretend to forget about it. :wink:
SimonH

Post by SimonH »

SimonH wrote:sure. you guys seem to have the better regulations in regards to pot though.

Well, to be fair I think any intoxicating substance should be controlled. Alcohol, pot, mushrooms, acid, heroin, coke, it all has some danger. That said, I just think it should quasi-legal like alcohol, not banned entirely.

Don't forget too, pot is still illegal here, the cops just pretend to forget about it. :wink:
I guess so. When it comes to driving or working especially. I don't like what pot does to people who have tendencies toward mental illness either.

The best situation IMO would have alcohol and pot classified similarly.
A Thing of Eternity

SimonH wrote:

I guess so. When it comes to driving or working especially. I don't like what pot does to people who have tendencies toward mental illness either.

The best situation IMO would have alcohol and pot classified similarly.
That's what I'd like to see.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

SimonH wrote:I never understood how you could make a plant illegal.
I've heard it's not illegal to have the seeds here.

They're in some bird seed mixes even, evidently. :shock:

Some guy was arrested just a while back when someone noticed him coming out of a wooded area with a bag full of leaves. When the police went back in with him, they found he had a nice little weed farm going. Said he'd got the seeds out of bird seed.

Such an odd country....
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
SimonH

Post by SimonH »

Baraka Bryan wrote:
SimonH wrote:in Aus it varies by state, but 16 is generally the age of consent and it doesn't matter how old the person you are screwing is :D

anal sex (for any gender mix) is illegal in Canada for anyone under 18.

that said, it's just an old law that hasnt been changed and no one would get charged with it ever
that's quite funny if you think about it. was it running rampant and had to be outlawed?
orald

Post by orald »

I was kinda joking...I know what the age of concent here is(16), and I do believe minors have to be in a range of several years at best from their adult lover.
But I'm not touching any minors, TYVM.

Well, ok, I kinda smacked him in the ass today, but he started it(no, he's straight and it's a joke)! :o

Besides, he's a typical 16 y-o, he's an idiot, albeit a good looking one.

Drunken Idaho

Post by Drunken Idaho »

The cops up here seem to find small amounts of pot to be too much paperwork to charge anyone for it, and that's probably the main reason they ever decriminalized small amounts of the stuff. That, and all the small charges probably took the attention away from the dealers and distributors. If they find less than an ounce (which is a LOT just to be carrying around) then they'll likely just take your shit, which is pretty bad too! Otherwise, it's considered trafficking.

But back on topic...

I finally finished The Dosadi Experiment!

It took me a while because I started it in the beginning of the summer, then stopped to re-read Jurassic Park for perhaps the fourth time, then started The Road, then started re-reading Heretics. But finally I forced myself to finish the bitch, and last night I did it!

It was pretty good, if not a little bit confusing. I definitely enjoyed The Whipping Star more. I just found it more of a solid story all-in-all. I was kind of disappointed that Fannie Mae had such a small part in Dosadi. I was half expecting her and McKie to hook up romantically by the end, but Jedrik served that purpose I suppose.

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one to be confused by the guilty/innocent thing in the Gowachin arena.

I think I definitely liked the first act more than the rest of the book. Frank took his time more with the prose in the beginning, and I quite liked that.

Some similarities to Dune are hard to miss. The way the Dosadis read eachother a la the Bene Gesserit, the immense populace of fierce fighters conditioned by a brutal planet, the breeding programs, lots more. I wasn't surprised to see McKie refer to Jedrik's inner presence as "Jedrik-within." He does the same thing with Odrade-within and O'Neill-within in The White Plague. Actually, now that I think about it, Dosadi came first, so this would be the first X-within reference that I'm aware of. Unless someone knows of an earlier book where he used the term...

I was relieved to see Bildoon finally do the ego-transfer. You see, I had read A Matter of Traces, The Tactful Saboteur, Whipping Star, and Dosadi all in order :D and pretty much all through the latter two, I was wondering why Bildoon wasn't changing egos, since I'm pretty sure McKie said he was about to at any time.

Did anyone else notice the similarity between the Trial of Trials in Dosadi Experiment and the trial at the end of White Plague? Both climactic trials, in which one member of the jury is found to be suddenly "dead" (Herity, Bildoon)... I wonder what that's all about.

I also can't help but wonder if Frank planned a third novel. It would have been cool to see McKie/Jedrik as head of the BuSab in a changing consentiency. Perhaps with Fannie Mae as his secretary? :P What do you think? Was it meant to be the consentiency trilogy? Would make an interesting bit of fan-fic... Maybe I'll give it a shot.

Needless to say, it was no match for Dune, but a very interesting story nonetheless.
"The Idahos were never ordinary people."
-Reverend Mother Superior Alma Mavis Taraza
Drunken Idaho

Post by Drunken Idaho »

Oh and also, any ideas what the picture on the cover of my Tor edition represents? The classic cover is pretty obvious (the fetus-city busting out of the God-Egg), but this is rather confusing:

Is it a jumpdoor? Or maybe Pcharky's cage? And is that McKie? If it is, that's not how I pictured him.
inhuien

Post by inhuien »

It's not Pcharky's cage I'm sure of that was his cage not said to have been rusty?
Drunken Idaho

Post by Drunken Idaho »

Well, the bars were described as glowing with some kind of energy. I suppose the picture could possibly be the machine which performed the body-transfer. Notice the two bars coming out from either side?
inhuien

Post by inhuien »

"Well, the bars were described as glowing with some kind of energy."

Aye you're right, ma heeds up ma arse these says, soz.
Drunken Idaho

Post by Drunken Idaho »

inhuien wrote:"Well, the bars were described as glowing with some kind of energy."

Aye you're right, ma heeds up ma arse these says, soz.
It honestly seemed to me that Tor just picked an extremely generic sci-fi illustration.
distrans

Re: Dosadi

Post by distrans »

howd he let fannie talking him into this jump again?