More proof that they never read Dune

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

Laphtiya

More proof that they never read Dune

Post by Laphtiya »

I've found yet some more proof that they didn't read Dune. In House Atreides, they say the spice allows a person to live to about 200. However!!!!

"Not without reason was the spice often called "the secret coinage." Without melange, the Spacing Guild's heighliners could not move. Melange precipitated the "navigation trance" by which a translight pathway could be "seen" before it was traveled. Without melange and its amplification of the human immunogenic system, life expectancy for the very rich degenerated by a factor of at least four. Even the vast middle class of the Imperium ate diluted melange in small sprinklings with at least one meal a day. ”

Alia Atreides, Children of Dune

Yet again more proof that they haven't even read the previous books. I think I stated before, that after reading the prequals it just seems as if they glanced over the first book and the last one.
Sole Man

Re: More proof that they never read Dune

Post by Sole Man »

Laphtiya wrote: "Not without reason was the spice often called "the secret coinage." Without melange, the Spacing Guild's heighliners could not move. Melange precipitated the "navigation trance" by which a translight pathway could be "seen" before it was traveled.
See Freak? There was something about "Tranlight speeds"...
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

OK :?
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

So what?

We know from the deleted chapters/passages in The Road to Dune that FH originally conceived of space-folding travel as taking a certain amount of time. His reconceptualization of it (it doesn't seem to be portrayed as a technological development between the first and last books, right?) as instantaneous is obviously something which happened after Children was written. (Especially if he was working on all of the first three novels at essentially the same time.)

The use of "translight" [sic, Sloey] here is not significant. It just means the time taken to traverse the distance is faster than light could do it. Which is uninteresting true with instantaneous spacefolding.
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
cmsahe

Post by cmsahe »

But we all know that the books written by Frank Herbert are being de-canonized by Pinky & The Brain :(
Laphtiya wrote:I've found yet some more proof that they didn't read Dune. In House Atreides, they say the spice allows a person to live to about 200. However!!!!....
Only the books written by Frank Herbert are canon.

Who We Are and What We Stand For
viewtopic.php?p=79778#p79778
----
Carlos Santillan, aka cmsahe
Laphtiya

Post by Laphtiya »

cmsahe wrote:But we all know that the books written by Frank Herbert are being de-canonized by Pinky & The Brain :(
Laphtiya wrote:I've found yet some more proof that they didn't read Dune. In House Atreides, they say the spice allows a person to live to about 200. However!!!!....
Yeah I know I just wanted to point out something else I randomly found.