Who do you want to be President?

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

Crysknife

Who do you want to be President?

Post by Crysknife »

Any thoughts on the upcoming Presidential elections? I am at least glad to see McCain leading for the Republicans because he seems to be a bit more moderate, although it sickens me that Huckabee got as far as he did. McCain can pander to the Right all he likes now, but I think if he wins, he'll still be a breath of fresh air compared to Bush.

Now, I want Obama to win this thing and I hope it works out that way. He has been the most consistent in his voting record and his campaign. Just looking at Hillary's recent breakdowns in her campaign management doesn't give me any faith that she can run this country. Don't get me wrong, I think a woman President would be great, but its got to be the right woman, and while Hillary is close, she's not it.
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

I love what Robin Williams said about a woman president. There would never be any more war, though there would be some pretty intense negotiations every 28 days.

On topic, I gotta admit that Obama is not looking like so much the newbie any more. Though I still have a long way to go to accepting him and feeling confident in his abilities. But he is slowly winning me over. Unfortunately, Clinton has decided to try to make every one happy, and is quickly losing me.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
Robspierre

Post by Robspierre »

I want Lex Luther, not even Superman can get rid of him :D

Rob
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Yeah, Ole Hill is starting to lose her appeal.

I guess I basically switched to Obama the other night. Doesn't mean I won't write in Cthulhu at the last minute, tho. ;)
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

shes a pretty crafty bitch though. I wont write her out yet.

Goodnight Golden Path!
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

I guess I like McCain. Hopefully he'll do what's needed to get us out of Iraq with a little bit of honor. Other than that he's a little too communist for me. Speaking of, I think Hillary would be a horrible president but Obama seems to have character, I hope he gets the nomination.
Mandy
Cat Herder

Post by Mandy »

I like McCain but his recent endorsement by John Hagee has made me wonder just how deep into the religious nut jobs' pockets he is. John Hagee, is one of those televangelists and some of his views line right up with Westboro Baptist Church's. I was all for McCain.. but now I don't know if I can get past that. McCain says he doesn't agree with all of Hagee's views but he isn't rejecting the endorsement. I dunno, it's probably no big deal, but Hagee makes me sick to my stomach.
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Unfortunately it seems that a Republican cannot coalesce his or her party without getting the religious nuts to approve. But this does warrant a further look.

Goodnight Golden Path!
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

I didn't have CNN or any news on today at all. Is that talk show asshole in Cincinnati still getting air time? :roll:

(First there was the crap with the last election, now this brouhaha...it's getting so I'm embarrassed to admit I'm from Ohio.)
Mandy
Cat Herder

Post by Mandy »

Yeah, and I think that's Reagan's fault. I loved Reagan, but at the time I really had no idea what the "Moral Majority" was. Ever since then the religious right has taken over the Republican party.

Edit: Oops, this was in response to Omph's post. The Chig is fast! :P
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Sorry 'bout that.

Mine was actually in response to the mention of endorsements in yours, the one that backfired for McCain.

Just do what I do whenever there's a problem: Blame Omph! :D

I wasn't particularly fond of Reagan, being an undergrad when his student grant cuts kicked in. I thought "Star Wars" was an idiotic waste of money as well. (Still do, of course.)

I cringe every time I hear a politician invoke The Boojum or mention any religious issue. Religion shouldn't have any place in the political process. There oughta be a law about it!

Oh, right, there is...the Constitution. Oh well....
Rakis

Post by Rakis »

I think Obama could win this.

I wonder who he will pick for vice-president? Edwards?
Phaedrus

Post by Phaedrus »

Out of the candidates that are available, I think I'm for Obama.

My economics are generally more conservative, but in a sudden realization, I noticed that the "conservative" presidents spend just as much money as the liberals, but the liberals tend to try to spend the money on things that might be useful.

I detest Hillary, even if her policies are basically the same as Obama's. I don't know what I'm going to do if she wins the nomination. Probably a write-in for someone.
Crysknife

Post by Crysknife »

I think Hillary would make a damn fine President, but Obama has that "it" factor when it comes to getting people to come together and get something done. He's also the most liberal of them all, and that is a good thing in my book.

And now that we have a Democratic controlled congress, he has a chance to do some great things.
Mandy
Cat Herder

Post by Mandy »

Have you noticed, though, that when we get a president from one party we almost always elect a congress of the opposite? In a way I think that is a very good thing.
Phaedrus

Post by Phaedrus »

Unless I'm mistaken, Clinton came in with a Democratic Congress, and somewhere in his term, it became a Republican majority. And until recently, Bush had a Republican Congress.

I think it's an ok thing. Bush and the Democratic Congress haven't done anything, though. Bush basically summed it up in his State of the Union Address this year:

"Do what I want, or I pull out my veto and executive orders."
Simon

Post by Simon »

The last few elections should all have used the tag line from AVP:

NO MATTER WHO WINS, WE LOSE!

I thought McCain then I looked into his M/O and was like "hell no!"

I thought Obama and looked into his past and had to say "no thank you!"

I'm going Libertarian this time. Not in with any hope of a win but to send the message that I'm fed up with a this two party bullshit, especially when the differences between the two is so scant. :x
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

What about Obama's past bothered you?

You're there in Cincinnati. What's the low-down on this Cunningham buffoon? (They haven't mentioned him at all—yet—this morning on CNNj.)
Crysknife

Post by Crysknife »

Obama has been nothing but superb in everything he has done. He has been the most consistent and ethical person in this race. Plus he's a social liberalist. How the hell can you get better than that?

And I can only thank god(figuratively, not literally), that we've had a Democratic congress for some of the time Bush has been in office. I only care about having the congress be the opposite of a President when that president is a Republican. People wonder what's wrong with this country and they keep electing the same conservatives into power. Bush will go down as one of the worst Presidents in history. Lewis Black said it best.........Having the Democrats not find someone to beat Bush in the last election was like a normal person losing in the Special Olympics.
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

SandChigger wrote:What about Obama's past bothered you?
How about all of the times in the Illinois state legislature when he voted undecided or claims to have pushed the wrong button? Or the votes he hasn't shown up for so that he won't have a voting record for the Republicans to criticize? There's also the fact that any of his ideas lack specific details. Also, why work so hard to say you're going to reach across the aisle when you think the other side is absolutely wrong on the issues? Anyway, I guess you all know how I feel about him now. :) I miss Edwards.
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

I agree with you Crys that Obama seems to have some pretty strong ethics. But fairness and consideration for others are not the only skills a president needs to have. And granted, there is a big ass learning curve to the job, no matter who you are. But times are not pleasant, and the world does not look to us for leadership as much as it used to. I need some indication that Obama can play with the big boys out there. From what I know about him so far, I wouldn't put it past him to say something like "Ive looked into his eyes, and seen that he will be a good ally," to cover up novice ineptness. Look where that got us last time.

Anyway, we should know if less than a week who its going to be. Maybe. If its Obama, Ill almost certainly vote for him.

Goodnight Golden Path!
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Nekhrun wrote:I miss Edwards.
Me too.

Goodnight Golden Path!
Robspierre

Post by Robspierre »

Omphalos wrote:
Nekhrun wrote:I miss Edwards.
Me too.
Me three.

Rob
Crysknife

Post by Crysknife »

Yes, Edwards was the man, but even he voted for the war, Obama at least stood his ground when everyone was against him, including much of his party.

I think Obama has been pretty straightforward about his plans when he reaches office. Everyone makes promises during races that never seem to pan out, but I think he genuinely believes in what he's saying, and has the energy to give it his best shot. The guy just can't be stopped, either by bad press, or slander because there just isn't anything against him. He doesn't accept money from special interest groups, has the best green energy plan, and believes in the separation of church and state. He’s the only one who has acknowledged that this country also stands for people without faith. He's just a fuckin' moral bastard.......and I love the man.

People in my state can’t understand why our public schools are failing, we have shit public transportation, and our police forces work out of crumbling buildings. Well, when you elect people that don’t support those things(people like Romney) then you set yourself up to fail. Private schools run rampant here, and people give car dealership owners and the church more respect than elected officials. I can’t take it anymore. I don’t want business giants deciding my health care, I want my elected officials deciding my health care. Any yahoo can own a business, that doesn’t mean I want them to be my leader as well.
Spice Grandson

Post by Spice Grandson »

Crysknife wrote:Yes, Edwards was the man, but even he voted for the war, Obama at least stood his ground when everyone was against him, including much of his party.

I think Obama has been pretty straightforward about his plans when he reaches office. Everyone makes promises during races that never seem to pan out, but I think he genuinely believes in what he's saying, and has the energy to give it his best shot. The guy just can't be stopped, either by bad press, or slander because there just isn't anything against him. He doesn't accept money from special interest groups, has the best green energy plan, and believes in the separation of church and state. He’s the only one who has acknowledged that this country also stands for people without faith. He's just a fuckin' moral bastard.......and I love the man.

People in my state can’t understand why our public schools are failing, we have shit public transportation, and our police forces work out of crumbling buildings. Well, when you elect people that don’t support those things(people like Romney) then you set yourself up to fail. Private schools run rampant here, and people give car dealership owners and the church more respect than elected officials. I can’t take it anymore. I don’t want business giants deciding my health care, I want my elected officials deciding my health care. Any yahoo can own a business, that doesn’t mean I want them to be my leader as well.
I think Crysknife and I finally have a common understanding. This country needs to be run like a business THROUGH our leadership, not BY big business. That's why Clinton was such a successful President. He didn't let god decide where to lead him, he let the economy dictate that and adjusted accordingly. That's why we had a budget surplus when he left office ...and now what do we have with Bushy-wushy?

I'd like to see Obama in the White House if for no other reason that to see a charismatic, young, black man with minimal political experience (this can actually be a good thing, folks) shake up our current world views and government. Those white-bread mid-westerners who vote for the pale old guy in the pin-striped suit every four years must be sweating it big time. I love it.
Keep it civil. Keep it cool.

ImageImage

http://www.filmreviewstew.com