There was a man who sat each day looking out through a narrow vertical opening
where a single board had been removed from a tall wooden fence. Each day a wild
ass of the desert passed outside the fence and across the narrow opening --
first the nose, then the head, the forelegs, the long brown back, the hindlegs,
and lastly the tail. One day, the man leaped to his feet with the light of
discovery in his eyes and he shouted for all who could hear him: "It is
obvious! The nose causes the tail!"

-Stories of the Hidden Wisdom, from the Oral History of Rakis

An acolyte wakens Odrade to inform her that Taraza will arrive soon. She new she would come. Taraza accusses Odrade of thinking she's been clever, Odrade says she simply had no alternative now that she knows what Taraza's plan is. Taraza agrees that survival of the Sisterhood is the most important thing. Odrade suggests that the Tleilaxu axlotl tanks may actually be surrogate mothers. She reports that Waff has admitted to killing the previous Idaho gholas because they didn't live up to expectations, a success would have created a visible disturbance among them. Also, the Honored Matres have surpassed the abilities of their imprinters. She suspects that the Tleilaxu have modified the Duncan ghola to be the equivalent of a male Honored Matre and this is what prompted their attack on the keep at Gammu. Taraza recounts her reports on Teg, Lucilla and Duncan.

Taraza does not see the change that has occured in Odrade, she expected her to act indepenantly but expected her to do it within limits. Taraza wonders if Odrade should have been promoted above herself but Odrade remids her they all have their roles to play. Taraza orders Sheeana brought in to decide whether or not to abort that part of the project. Sheeana is brought in and Taraza questions her then dismisses her. She is impressed with her natural Voice and ability to withstand Mother Superior's scortching examination. Odrade thinks she's a potential Mother Superior. Odrade realizes that Taraza does see through her to her rebellious thoughts, she wants her opposition. Taraza orders Waff brought to them and while they wait, she notes how the ghola had leaped ahead of his education even before the attack on the keep, there's no telling what he's become by now.
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Re: Chapter 36

Post by Freakzilla »

Revised.

I deleted a two page discussion here, once I took out the spoilers the rest didn't make sense.

Please don't spoil!
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman