My concerns

Moderators: Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ, Omphalos

Secher_Nbiw

Post by Secher_Nbiw »

Laphtiya wrote: Is it me or do any of you get a hint that they watched the 1985 movie and used that in their books?
personally, i think the books may have turned out better had they used the film in their books, because that was a hell of a lot better than the tripe they've pumped out!
I am a mortal god.
Laphtiya

Post by Laphtiya »

Ixian fighting machines, Sapho juice mentioned all the time the complete over the top scenes. Just screams of the '85 movie lol
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

dunaddict wrote:But you have... Is it any good? Who do you think is the 'better' writer?
I have read some KJA, actually ... very little, but some. I struggled through part of Brian's Timeweb, but that's about it.

Picking the "better" writer is like picking the "better" venereal disease. I guess I'd say KJA only in the sense that he is a "professional" writer: he writes, he gets paid, and he knows how to get it done quickly.

Brian, OTOH, strikes me as living proof that not everything is passed down genetically. As I've made clear in many of my other posts, I don't think he does any of the writing for these books. His job is to have the correct last name ... the HLP knows that sales of KJA-only "Dune" books would be one-fifth of their current level (at best) without "Herbert" somewhere on the cover.
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

I truly wonder if they actually cut out any editor whatsoever on the grounds that KJA reads and approves the final draft - and since he's so great there's no need for an editor. :roll: There are just to many grammatical errors and internal inconsistencies (never mind between books) for me to believe that they actually had an editor.
Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

I'll say it again, KJA is a scene writer, and any external rules, even ones he's made in previous paragraphs, are secondary to what ever is happening at that moment. He pretty much assumes that as the author he is the authority, and any inconsistencies stem from other people's mental failings, not his own. Seriously, can you imagine how different our response to these books would be if we called them on an inconsistency, and they apologized and redacted it? KJA isn't that big of a man, he knows 90% of his fans are fanboys who will take his words as gospel.

BTW I don't know if this has been discussed yet: Repetition is a very old tool of oral historians and performers. Its no surprise that with KJA's oral fixation he uses this much repetition.

Don't get me started again on editing. KJA probably gave up looking for editiors after his 500th rejection slip came back as: "My first edit of your book leaves 4 pages. Stop sending me this shit. Enclosed is a bill for my therapy sessions incurred because my job forces me to read this."
Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
Laphtiya

Post by Laphtiya »

Ampoliros wrote:
Don't get me started again on editing. KJA probably gave up looking for editiors after his 500th rejection slip came back as: "My first edit of your book leaves 4 pages. Stop sending me this shit. Enclosed is a bill for my therapy sessions incurred because my job forces me to read this."
If I were a Bene Gesserit I would say there was something in that response :wink:. Were you one of those editors? lol