Admin approval for new regs

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

Mandy
Cat Herder

Admin approval for new regs

Post by Mandy »

Is it really necessary to make new members wait for approval?
GamePlayer
70mm God

Post by GamePlayer »

I always hated that about signing up to a new message board. I mean, it's not like the admin is running a credit check :) Though I suppose it does cut down on spam significantly.
Tleilax Master B

Post by Tleilax Master B »

I think it has to be done to cut down on spam.

Mandy: Do you have someone who is waiting for approval? We can email or PM Freak and he is usually pretty quick about it.
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

That it does. But mostly individual spammers, and not bots (and yes, those guys are still out there).

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
Mandy
Cat Herder

Post by Mandy »

Yeah koantin is waiting, he's already emailed Freak. Perhaps Freak should let one of you guys help with approving new members.

Having it set up for approval doesn't really do much to keep spammers away if you have the board set up to block the bots already. Individual spammers look just like regular members, unless they're using bad emails. It's just as easy to ban them once they get in as it is to approve every single person who joins. In fact it's easier since you won't have that many human spammers joining in the first place. Another way to keep them out is to use the MOD that forces members to have a certain amount of posts before they can post a link anywhere.
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Mandy wrote:Yeah koantin is waiting, he's already emailed Freak. Perhaps Freak should let one of you guys help with approving new members.

Having it set up for approval doesn't really do much to keep spammers away if you have the board set up to block the bots already. Individual spammers look just like regular members, unless they're using bad emails. It's just as easy to ban them once they get in as it is to approve every single person who joins. In fact it's easier since you won't have that many human spammers joining in the first place. Another way to keep them out is to use the MOD that forces members to have a certain amount of posts before they can post a link anywhere.
Those are good ideas, Mandy. FYI, I sent Freak a note earlier today. Ill talk to him about what he wants to do.

Goodnight Golden Path!
Mandy
Cat Herder

Post by Mandy »

Cool. He's probably going to laugh when he gets the email from koantin.. a blast from the not so distant past :P
Fantômas

Post by Fantômas »

Mandy wrote: Another way to keep them out is to use the MOD that forces members to have a certain amount of posts before they can post a link anywhere.
BRIGHT, REALLY BRIGHT!
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Mandy wrote:Cool. He's probably going to laugh when he gets the email from koantin.. a blast from the not so distant past :P
Another old Dod'er or something? I dont think I know the name.

Goodnight Golden Path!
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

I switched acount activation to "user".
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Freakzilla wrote:I switched acount activation to "user".
Take a look at your inbox, Freak. There are some additional changes we can make so that its safer for user activation. I put them in a PM to you.

Goodnight Golden Path!