Some new Peter Berg quotes about new Dune (be warned!)

Moderators: Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ, Omphalos

Lisan Al-Gaib

Post by Lisan Al-Gaib »

I think HPL didn't even search about him.

Probably, Peter Berg make his moves toward HPL because he was jealous about the other director doing great adaptations of classic book or HQ's. And DUNE was his first choice because he had "read" the book when he was child (whether he understood the themes and the intention of the characters it's another story...)
So, Mr. Berg didnt want to be passed away, he had to search for his own "LoR blockbuster".

Now, how can we take this guy seriously if he keep acting like that DUNE was only a book for children and teenagers?

"Adventure story"??
The singular multiplicity of this universe draws my deepest attention. It is a thing of ultimate beauty.

-- The Stolen Journals

halcyo

Post by halcyo »

In my view, doing the Dune movie is not just a way for him to cash in. It's really not that simple. There are much easier franchises to cash in on, with more ticket selling power, I'm sure. In fact, the only credit I'll give him, if he did indeed chase down the project, is that he must realize that this is a VERY RISKY proposition - at least in the movie industry sense. Keep in mind that Dune on screen has NOT been received all that well. Lynch's film is widely considered a P.O.S. by critics, AND it was an epic commercial failure. The Mini's were 'sort of' well liked by fans and critics, but they certainly didn't make enough money for the Sci-Fi people to stick around for more either.

My point is, this is no LoTR. The studio isn't gonna turn the face of America into Arrakis like they did promoting the world of LoTR EVERYWHERE... No matter what you say, for better or worse, Dune is NOT LoTR and it is not as sure a bet as that phenomenon was. Peter Jackson went beyond passion to finish those films, and besides, Dune is much more complicated, and much more subtle at the same time - it's just not so 'good guy/bad guy' and it will be harder to connect with a wide audience even if you do it right.

By process of elimination, I've come to the conclusion that Peter Berg is either brave as shit, and has something surprising hidden up his sleeve that will make his career (like Peter Jackson), or he is just delusional, or stupid, and it will be an even more expensive, bigger mess than Lynch's attempt.

Man, it just so obvious that Dune is not an easy story to take on. The only reason I can think of that Berg would want this is that he really thinks he can pull it off. We'll see.

Again, my biggest fear is that it will be way off the mark, but people will still love it. It will drive more new fans to the prequels and sequels, and it will water down the original series even more. Then I think the original 6 Dune books, and Frank's work, will have officially been raped and ravaged....
Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

the more i think about it, the more i WANT them to interject a lot of prequel nonsense. That way when the film fails horribly, The OH can gloat even more.
Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
halcyo

Post by halcyo »

I don't disagree, but what do you think they would add? They certainly won't get the whole original Dune as it is - you think they'll ADD nonsense!?

Oh god..... :shock:
Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

most likely some turd reference to Normacle or a preface that tells of Serena and the Blowjob-jihad. Norma probably would show up when Paul undergoes the spice trance. Expect it to happen.
orald

Post by orald »

Or an expo' about the Fremen, showing their "ancestors" during the Legends era.

So...what stage of production are they in anyway? Do we have any kind of cast yet?
In memory of Perach, who suffered and died needlessly.

I wish I could have been with you that one last time.
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

Ampoliros wrote:most likely some turd reference to Normacle or a preface that tells of Serena and the Blowjob-jihad. Norma probably would show up when Paul undergoes the spice trance. Expect it to happen.
That would be doubly funny since that scene wasn't in the book.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

What?!? of course it was in the book! Page 353, Chapter 210 of Irulan of Dune! C'mon Freak I thought you were our Dune Librarian! I mean, they wouldn't put the scene in BOTH films already made if it wasn't in the book. Dur. :roll:
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

Chapter 210? :lol:
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Ghost

Post by Ghost »

It is the new prequel-sequel writing style, 1 or 2 pages per chapter, very chick :lol:
cmsahe

re:

Post by cmsahe »

Ghost wrote:It is the new prequel-sequel writing style, 1 or 2 pages per chapter, very chick :lol:
Hey that's a great idea to write a novel! You can write a chapter while having breakfast, another one at lunch and another one at dinner. Do you remember the "My big thick novel" skits in Saturday Night Live?
Only the books written by Frank Herbert are canon.

Who We Are and What We Stand For
viewtopic.php?p=79778#p79778
----
Carlos Santillan, aka cmsahe
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Freakzilla wrote:
Ampoliros wrote:most likely some turd reference to Normacle or a preface that tells of Serena and the Blowjob-jihad. Norma probably would show up when Paul undergoes the spice trance. Expect it to happen.
That would be doubly funny since that scene wasn't in the book.
I dont care if it was in the book or not! We gotta put this blowjob-jihad down like a dog in the street NOW!

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
Sole Man

ON NEW dune MOVIE

Post by Sole Man »

Based on that qoute (And sort of on HANCOCK) This movie's going to be utter garbage. And I've made garbage, They can't fool me.

No, I shouldn't be an action movie. If I was directing it, I'd stick close to the book, but I probably would thorw some stuff in there that really didn't matter. Like Muad'dib looking out at the dessert, thinking about something, or I would leave the orgies out, and for seemingly no reason have Paul crouching on a rock jutting out from the ground and his Jubba cloak billowing in the wind, with only his blue-within-blue eyes visble...Hun, What'd you say? I must've drifted.
halcyo

Post by halcyo »

One of the most interesting qualities of the book is how often Frank finds a way to SKIP the action parts altogether! If done right, it could be kind of effective for a great movie as well, but there's no way Berg (or Paramount in general) will skip any chance for a battle they can find!

halcyo
DuneFishUK

Post by DuneFishUK »

It does look that way, but I still really want to work on this film though!

And if it's really all that bad, I could always turn up to work wearing a chigger t-shirt and get fired by one of the co-producers :P
- http://www.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - http://dunefont.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; -
Rakis

Post by Rakis »

DuneFishUK wrote:It does look that way, but I still really want to work on this film though!

And if it's really all that bad, I could always turn up to work wearing a chigger t-shirt and get fired by one of the co-producers :P
Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

you wouldn't get fired (instantly). Just tell them its a Dune reference and your showing your spirit. They wouldn't know what it means. It would be funny to see KJA's reaction throwing a fit and trying to get you fired. I'm sure the Stage Manager would just laugh at him.

too bad we cant get ahold of any OH's in the special effects department. A couple of Sandchigger's scurring across the desert in scene 3 would kick ass. that or some visual reference to Ming the Merciless.

Or maybe just have the letters OH show up on everything.
Rakis

Post by Rakis »

Ampoliros wrote: Or maybe just have the letters OH show up on everything.
Yes! Like a subliminal thingy :P
Sole Man

on Subtke DUNE affects

Post by Sole Man »

Yeah! Or we could somehow refrence the Sole Man!

Why is everyone staring at me?
Rakis

Post by Rakis »

Sole Man wrote:Yeah! Or we could somehow refrence the Sole Man!

Why is everyone staring at me?