This Upcoming Pall of Dune Travesty

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

This Upcoming Pall of Dune Travesty

Post by Omphalos »

Who here thinks that the bumbling duo are going to try to make something out of the first son that Paul and Chani had. Like he was a god, or something?

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
Phaedrus

Post by Phaedrus »

Wow, good point. That's going to be just disgusting. I'm sure they're going to draw some parallel to Serena Butler's splatter.
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

I think they're going to try to link some of Paul's early childhood events to his terrible purpose. Also, I think they're going to change what Frank's intent for the terrible purpose is. I'm sure Jessica will train him in some forbidden art/technique that Duncan or Gurney will frown upon.
Tleilax Master B

Post by Tleilax Master B »

God I hope you are wrong Omph. This is going to really, really suck. I'm not sure I will be able to bring myself to read it. :cry:
SimonH

Re: This Upcoming Pall of Dune Travesty

Post by SimonH »

Omphalos wrote:Who here thinks that the bumbling duo are going to try to make something out of the first son that Paul and Chani had. Like he was a god, or something?
:D the cult of Leto one-and-a-half

I think these upcoming books are really going to stick the knife into any substantial meanings of the originals.
BH and KJA have a great ability of swallowing something with multiple meanings and crapping out something that is both shallow and incorrect to a surprising degree.
Rakis

Re: This Upcoming Pall of Dune Travesty

Post by Rakis »

Omphalos wrote:Who here thinks that the bumbling duo are going to try to make something out of the first son that Paul and Chani had. Like he was a god, or something?
You mean we will learn that Paul has an ancestor from the Muadru and Chani has one from a clone of Serena Butler and the resulting offspring will be the Ultimate Erasmudarach ??!! :shock: :shock: :shock:
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Rakis...dude....nice! :D
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
Rakis

Post by Rakis »

SandChigger wrote:Rakis...dude....nice! :D
I just hope i did not gave KJA a last minute inspiration... :cry:
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

Nekhrun wrote:I think they're going to try to link some of Paul's early childhood events to his terrible purpose. Also, I think they're going to change what Frank's intent for the terrible purpose is. I'm sure Jessica will train him in some forbidden art/technique that Duncan or Gurney will frown upon.
I just had an image of Steve Martin as The Jerk in Dune!

Chani: "(she lies down on the bed) You know what I'd like to do?"
Paul: "What?"
Chani: "Guess your future."
Paul: "Hey, that would be interesting for me, no one has tried to guess my future! You see, I guess their futures..."
Chani: "Put your arms up."
Paul: "This will give me a whole different perspective on this. (Chani squeezes Paul's thighpads) Hey! You're really trying to be accurate! Is it getting hot in here? Wait a minute - what's happening to my special purpose?"
Chani: "What's your special purpose?"
Paul: "Well when I was a kid my mom told me... there goes my special purpose! And someday I'd find out what my special purpose was!"
Chani: "Today's the day!"
Paul: "(the whole stiltent shakes) Hey, this is like a ride!"

:lol:
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

:D

Don't forget that some part of the book is going to take place on Ecaz. Maybe a steamy encounter for Young Paul with a jungle babe?

After all, it doesn't say explicitly in Dune that he's a virgin, right?

(To be fair, I'm assuming the Ecaz scenes take place after the events in Dune, but with The Hacks Twain, who knows!)
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

:lol: :lol:

Upon the appearance of the Baron: "He hates these boys!"

Goodnight Golden Path!
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

I can totally see some delegation from Arrakis that happens to include the Emperor's Judge of the Change. A young Paul sneaks out of his room and catches a glimpse of the Judge's daughter, then proceeds to have visions of her until they one day meet on the sands. How romantic!
inhuien

Post by inhuien »

I thought P (Piece) o (of) D (Dung) is going to be set between FHs Dune and Dune Messiah, However reading the comments above I’m not so sure. Can anyone confirm where in the timeline their planning to dump it (get it ;) ).
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

I think that's it, inhuien. Those supposed scenes could happen in that time frame.

As I believe Nehkrun said, new editions of Dune will have "Insert Paul here" in the later chapters where appropriate.

Goodnight Golden Path!
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Yeah, they're going to make a shitburger out of Dune, with their crap as the buns. (Buns from their bums? Nevermind.)

Half of it will be about Paul's childhood and early training, half about events after he becomes Emperor. Something about the way Kevin has described it in his blahgs almost makes me wonder if the parts won't be reversed chronologically from what you'd expect; just a feeling, though.
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

SandChigger wrote:Half of it will be about Paul's childhood and early training, half about events after he becomes Emperor. Something about the way Kevin has described it in his blahgs almost makes me wonder if the parts won't be reversed chronologically from what you'd expect; just a feeling, though.
Do you mean kind of like a Lost flashback?
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

I guess. It was something he wrote about the book beginning with Paul interring his father's skull in the shrine (the "Skull Tomb") at Harg Pass.

Let's see...got it:
Friday, June 22, 2007

... And I dictated the first two chapters in PAUL OF DUNE, starting with Paul constructing the shrine of his father's skull. After so much fine-toothed-comb work on the other two books, it felt great just to be creative again.
Um...missed the problem with this the first time around, it looks like: That takes place within the time period covered by Dune. So they're not confining themselves to the periods before and after the original books, they're actually going to weave their shit INTO them as well.

Crap. :evil:

Anyway, if they're starting there, they would have to use flashbacks or a discontinuous chronology, no?
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Something else from my search of the blahg files:

They've been planning this series since 2000, while they were working on the Legends books, jotting down ideas for the three books all along. Supposedly Pall will also contain unpublished events from Paul's childhood and info from various character sketches by FH.

As with everything else, I'd really just rather see a compilation of those original materials, without the superfluous crud of inferior minds.
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

It was my belief that they were going to find a way to seamlessly weave their wordsmithing around Frank's garbage to finally make those first two books readable. How many Dune fans are missing a good chunk of the story because they simply cannot decipher that FH nonsense?

Can't wait. :P
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Me, either.

I'm so glad Kevin took Brian in hand and made him write the new books. Them thangs by his dad are awful hard to figure out. Their style is so clear and exciting!

:mrgreen:
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

These new books truly will have all the "good parts" reinstated, and will fix FH's "mistakes."

Goodnight Golden Path!
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

Omphalos wrote:These new books truly will have all the "good parts" reinstated, and will fix FH's "mistakes."
I can't even tell what's a FH mistake/inconsistency and what isn't because it's all so complicated. You guys must just say he's a good writer because even you don't know what he's saying, so he must be smart.
Phaedrus

Post by Phaedrus »

Omphalos wrote:These new books truly will have all the "good parts" reinstated, and will fix FH's "mistakes."
Dune: Frank Herbert's Classic Tale of Jihad and High Adventure, The "Good Parts" version, abridged(and entirely rewritten) by Kevin J. Anderson and (sometimes) Brian Herbert
Nekhrun wrote:
I can't even tell what's a FH mistake/inconsistency and what isn't because it's all so complicated. You guys must just say he's a good writer because even you don't know what he's saying, so he must be smart.
I don't know about the rest of these schmucks, but I know what Frank Herbert had in mind. Kevin J. Anderson told me.
You aren't thinking or really existing unless you're willing to risk even your own sanity in the judgment of your existence.
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

Phaedrus wrote:I don't know about the rest of these schmucks, but I know what Frank Herbert had in mind. Kevin J. Anderson told me.
I can easily see that coming up in the future. We'll have to debate some new generation of preeks who think we have it all wrong because what we say doesn't jive with the KJA books.
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

The day that the KJA fanboys undergoe a schism and we have two camps arguing over the true meaning of Anderson's prose is the day I turn off my computer and never return.

Goodnight Golden Path!