Do anyone of you practices Martial Arts?

Moderators: Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ, Omphalos

cmsahe

Do anyone of you practices Martial Arts?

Post by cmsahe »

If so, what's your opinion about their representation in the Dune novels? They are an important part in the mithology of the saga, I can draw conmparisons:
Fencing is represented by Duncan Idaho and the krysnive duels of the Fremen.

And the Prana Bindu that seems to synthesize several martial arts.

And Has Dune motivated to study Martial Arts?

Best Regards,
Carlos
Only the books written by Frank Herbert are canon.

Who We Are and What We Stand For
viewtopic.php?p=79778#p79778
----
Carlos Santillan, aka cmsahe
Illogical Banana

Post by Illogical Banana »

I love martial arts, I studied Jujutsu here for about 6 months. But most of the places are just McDojos so I've resigned myself to independent study. You bring up some interesting things to think about :D
“But what is the good of friendship if one cannot say exactly what one means? Anybody can say charming things and try to please and to flatter, but a true friend always says unpleasant things, and does not mind giving pain. Indeed, if he is a really true friend he prefers it, for he knows that then he is doing good.” -Oscar Wilde
Mr. Teg

Post by Mr. Teg »

Unique the way Frank integrated fighting arts into Dune considering the time.

(Yes, started in high school and still train with the help of a little vitamin I in the morning :wink: )
CHOAM
Combine Herbert Ober Anderson Mercantile, Narf!
Brian, Kevin & Byron :? :cylon101: :roll: The HLP
Tleszer

Post by Tleszer »

I used to practice Taekwondo when I was younger but stopped by the time I started college.

What I like about Dune is that for all of the sci-fi elements (navigators, lasguns, shields) it was equally about the past (shield-fighting, prana bindu, feudal houses).

Its a shame this world can't be accurately reproduced on film.
DUNE, as interpreted by a blue man with a green tushie
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

Mr. Teg wrote:Unique the way Frank integrated fighting arts into Dune considering the time.

(Yes, started in high school and still train with the help of a little vitamin I in the morning :wink: )
What's vitamin I?
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Mr. Teg

Post by Mr. Teg »

Freakzilla wrote:
Mr. Teg wrote:Unique the way Frank integrated fighting arts into Dune considering the time.

What's vitamin I?
Ibuprofin :wink:
CHOAM
Laphtiya

Post by Laphtiya »

I follow Kendo and Iaido. Just convinced my brother to john, I wouldnt say Dune was the reason that I joined these. But I can understand why Dune could make people want to join a Martial Art
Mr. Teg

Post by Mr. Teg »

Laphtiya wrote:I follow Kendo and Iaido. Just convinced my brother to john, I wouldnt say Dune was the reason that I joined these. But I can understand why Dune could make people want to join a Martial Art
I had the opportunity awhile back to train in kendo with the local police inside their station dojo for a couple of months. Good training, very intense stuff! (If you need inexpensive gear there's a company in L.A. that sells the whole set for arond $400 if I remember correctly, even people in Japan order from them).
CHOAM
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Re: Do anyone of you practices Martial Arts?

Post by Nekhrun »

cmsahe wrote:If so, what's your opinion about their representation in the Dune novels? They are an important part in the mithology of the saga, I can draw conmparisons:
Fencing is represented by Duncan Idaho and the krysnive duels of the Fremen.

And the Prana Bindu that seems to synthesize several martial arts.

And Has Dune motivated to study Martial Arts?

Best Regards,
Carlos
I practice T'ai Chi and Jeet Kune Do. Dune has neither reminded me of them nor inspired further study of Martial arts, though I'm sure the Sisterhood's style follows a similar philosophy to that of Bruce Lee, and they look better in black unitards.
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

Mr. Teg wrote:
Laphtiya wrote:I follow Kendo and Iaido. Just convinced my brother to john, I wouldnt say Dune was the reason that I joined these. But I can understand why Dune could make people want to join a Martial Art
I had the opportunity awhile back to train in kendo with the local police inside their station dojo for a couple of months. Good training, very intense stuff! (If you need inexpensive gear there's a company in L.A. that sells the whole set for arond $400 if I remember correctly, even people in Japan order from them).
The police in Japan must be scary as hell. If I'm not mistaken the laws are pretty strict concerning violence and other serious crimes are they not?
Nekhrun wrote: I practice T'ai Chi and Jeet Kune Do. Dune has neither reminded me of them nor inspired further study of Martial arts, though I'm sure the Sisterhood's style follows a similar philosophy to that of Bruce Lee, and they look better in black unitards.
T'ai Chi is only a martial art if you're planning on fighting coma patients. :wink: (I actually love it, but it sure as hell ain't a fighting technique)
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Coma patients?

:cry:

There went my post in this thread....

(Feah notto za porisu ob Japan, Mistah Sang. Rike eburi-wan erusu, zey smellu rike—yessu, you guest it—FEESHu! :lol: )
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
A Thing of Eternity

SandChigger wrote:Coma patients?

:cry:

There went my post in this thread....

(Feah notto za porisu ob Japan, Mistah Sang. Rike eburi-wan erusu, zey smellu rike—yessu, you guest it—FEESHu! :lol: )
Good good, I'll mention that to my black panther buddies! :wink:
Mr. Teg

Post by Mr. Teg »

A Thing of Eternity wrote:
Mr. Teg wrote:
The police in Japan must be scary as hell. If I'm not mistaken the laws are pretty strict concerning violence and other serious crimes are they not?
Nekhrun wrote: I practice T'ai Chi and Jeet Kune Do. Dune has neither reminded me of them nor inspired further study of Martial arts, though I'm sure the Sisterhood's style follows a similar philosophy to that of Bruce Lee, and they look better in black unitards.
T'ai Chi is only a martial art if you're planning on fighting coma patients. :wink: (I actually love it, but it sure as hell ain't a fighting technique)
Outside the dojo they're more like keystone cops (of course not the guys I trained with :wink: ).

Taichi is a fighting art if you find the right teacher.
However, with that said, I know a couple of gentlemen who are very good at jujutsu because they train in taichi on the side (taichi helps improve their movement).
CHOAM
trang

Post by trang »

Judo when in the Marine Corps, not much of anything since I got out in 1996.

As for Dune influence not specifically, but added to my general interest in War, Military, and such, it definatly fits in. Prana Bindu seems like the pinacle of the combined martial arts. Ultimate control of mind and body, so I can see how it would attract anyone.

Trang
"Long Live the Fighters", "Dragon.....the other white meat."

Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Mr. Teg wrote:
Freakzilla wrote:

What's vitamin I?
Ibuprofin :wink:
Oh, :lol: That's been a regular supliment for me for a long time now too.

When I was a kid, we called LSD vitamin A (Acid).
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

I've taken lessons in Tae Kwon Do, Hapkido and the Judo-type style they teach in the army but I've never gone beyond the basics.

One of these days I'd like to study knife fighting.
~Pink Snowman
Laphtiya

Post by Laphtiya »

There is also a nice site www.ninecircles.co.uk which is good for Kendo, Iaido, Aikido and other Japenese arts. If Dune has influenced me in anyway, it might be down to the need to defend myself. Especially when you can easily make the link between Spice and Oil :wink: Once the Oil is gone I'd rather be prepared to fight and not need to than the other way around lol!
chanilover

Post by chanilover »

I did Karate for a few years but stopped. It's great exercise.
"You and your buddies and that b*tch Mandy are nothing but a gang of lying, socially maladjusted losers." - St Hypatia of Arrakeen.
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

It most certainly is. Each movement of the form can be delivered as a strike or redirection.
A Thing of Eternity

Nekhrun wrote:
It most certainly is. Each movement of the form can be delivered as a strike or redirection.
:lol:
orald

Post by orald »

All this talk of martial arts remind me of the scene in Indianna Jones and the lost cabinat thingy, where some arab dude spins his swords all fancy like that...so Indy shoots him down with one bullet. Get my meaning? :wink:

Also, look at Taraze- cut down with a simple lasgun beam...or Nayla for that matter.
In memory of Perach, who suffered and died needlessly.

I wish I could have been with you that one last time.
Mr. Teg

Post by Mr. Teg »

orald wrote:All this talk of martial arts remind me of the scene in Indianna Jones and the lost cabinat thingy, where some arab dude spins his swords all fancy like that...so Indy shoots him down with one bullet. Get my meaning? :wink:
Wingate Institute of Physical Education, Israel? Get my meaning? :wink:
CHOAM
orald

Post by orald »

What meaning? I was there exactly once, to deliever some oils or somesuch.
We didn't get any help offloading that shit from the truck from any of the supposedly fit guys there, so they can go bugger themselves for all I care.

But seriously, what meaning? Sure, that Indy bit was a joke, I can perfectly understand, and wouldn't mind trying in the future, the interest in martial arts, but there's only so much it can help.
In memory of Perach, who suffered and died needlessly.

I wish I could have been with you that one last time.
cmsahe

re:

Post by cmsahe »

And also, my question is influenced by the Children of Dune miniseries, where Martial Arts are blatantly represented, I love the way in which Leto II kicks Alia's guards using Taekwondo chagguis (kicks) :)

Tleszer wrote:I used to practice Taekwondo when I was younger but stopped by the time I started college.

What I like about Dune is that for all of the sci-fi elements (navigators, lasguns, shields) it was equally about the past (shield-fighting, prana bindu, feudal houses).

Its a shame this world can't be accurately reproduced on film.

----
cmsahe

re:

Post by cmsahe »

I disagree watch this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X254e0JZuuU

----