"And we're big fans ourselves."

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

inhuien wrote:Image
Would this do?
Excellent

TheDukester wrote:Everything that's going to be between the covers of PoD is basically a story that doesn't really need to be told...It'll just be 90 chapters of set-piece battles.
4/5 Battles end with a stone burner. I bet we get a "Curiously Ironic" Ixian selling Muad'dib his invention of a "weapon to nicely defeat your enemy with the minimum of damage, called a "Stone Burner". "Stone Burner! Its Pacificationirific!" On its field test Muad'dib drops it on the Planet Shimhiroa, and it burns through to the core EXPLODING TEH ENTIRE PLANET! OH THE P.R. NIGHTMARE! Paul feels dark because the planet was home to a special kind of rodent that Chani thought was "cute". Regardless, Stone Burners get fixed and Muad'dib drops them every time Stilgar asks to take some one's water. Like a drinking game, but with writing.

I forgot, Paul renames Shimhiroa as Harmonthep, to fill a continuity error.

I bet Norma shows up in a vision to Paul and suggests "the Golden Path"
Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Ampoliros wrote:[Paul feels dark because the planet was home to a special kind of rodent that Chani thought was "cute".
:lol:

(I don't think there's anything Paul can do to retcon Harmonthep. Remember, Daddy Leto travels through its system. Creating a second planet named Harmonthep that gets confused with the one in the Delta Pav system what went phooop...that's one for the post-Legends/pre-Houses "Great Schools" pentalogy!)

(It will be at least a pentalogy, won't it? WHO do they have to explain: Guild, BG, Swordmasters of Ginsu, Mentats, that wacky C.E.T. lot? Am I forgetting anyone?)
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
orald

Post by orald »

SandChigger wrote:Am I forgetting anyone?)
Obviously.

You haven't mentioned all the believers of all the old religions in that C.E.T business. Lots and lots of death and destruction on lots and lots of different planets! Endless possibilities! :o
In memory of Perach, who suffered and died needlessly.

I wish I could have been with you that one last time.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Um...right.

Found another YouTube "interview"; someone caught Kevvy alone recently:
August 25, 2008

Keven Anderson discusses his next novel, the sequel to the original Dune, which intends to fill in the time between Dune and Dune Messiah the original sequel.

Suvudu caught up with author Kevin Anderson during a break at Comic Con San Diego 2008.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TttC9ytpEIc
Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

"Star Wars Comics which are a big science fiction story set in a science fiction universe..."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kucQfcNf ... re=related

Kevin, its okay to think a second before you speak. It might help you write more intelligenter! To his credit he does pause after he says this as if he realizes, damn, that sucked.

"I understand Batman, he's a guy with a lot of neat toys..."
:roll:

Nevermind, he's an idiot.
Laphtiya

Post by Laphtiya »

Of course they are big fans! They will be as long as it makes money that goes without saying. You wouldn't write something you didn't like or were a fan of thats just silly.
Anathema

Post by Anathema »

Those two are insufferable.

Paul an optimistic young guy at the end of Dune, after wich there's a dramatic shift in charater before the beginning of Dune Messiah? :evil:

"he left about 15,000 years of history to cover"

And yet these two decided to cram the formation of just about every faction in Dune in a couple of decades at most (what is the timeframe of the LoD trilogy, actually?), leaving 15,000 mostly uneventful years until Paul's era.
orald

Post by orald »

LoD...? About 100 years tops, I think.
In memory of Perach, who suffered and died needlessly.

I wish I could have been with you that one last time.
Laphtiya

Post by Laphtiya »

Yeah don#t forget the 3500 years between Children and God Emperor and they squeese this into the 10 years between the two (thats assuming its 10 lol)
Jakob von Gunten

Post by Jakob von Gunten »

My merit is not to be totally ineffectual but to have wanted to be.
- E.M. Cioran
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

Okay, I'm totally stepping on Chigger's territory here, but I just can't resist: KJA's latest blog entry is just too hysterical.

Here's the entry:

http://www.dunenovels.com/blog/page054.html

Let's go over the checklist (again, with apologies to Chigger, who is, bar none, the 21st century's finest author of KJA blog criticism):

*Barely mentions Dune at all: Check!

*Mentions how "exhausting" it is to be, you know, an artist: Check!

*Shameless name-dropping: Check!

*Condescension toward the Great Unwashed: Check! (those damn fans trying to steal his book!)

*A "Dune" entry that, mysteriously, is actually a plug for some other piece of shit that he's writing: Check!

*Huge ego: Check! ("never been done before")

*A mind-numbing recitation of his schedule: Check!

My God. What a complete and total asshole. Seriously, HLP, congratulations on letting the world's biggest douchebag set fire to a great literary treasure.
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Excellent.

Before lunch and recording the podcast today, I accessed his MySpace blog and read some of it out to Teg. After about the third line of the first paragraph, I started skipping stuff, saying, "Name dropping, name dropping, he keeps name dropping, blah blah blah." :lol:

Great minds do think alike. ;)
Seraphan

Post by Seraphan »

I think the name duchebag is too lean for him, skid mark is more apropriate.
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.p ... =skid+mark
"The beginning of knowledge is the discovery of something we do not understand." - Frank Herbert
“This tutoring is dialectical. Literature makes us better noticers of life; we get to practice on life itself; which in turn makes us better readers of detail in literature; which in turn makes us better readers of life. And so on and on.” - James Wood
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Enh, whatever.

The HLP seems content to just mirror his MySpice/Wordfur blawg on their site (which, remember, is run by Kevin's uncle), exercising no editorial/content control whatsoever.

Whatever it is Kevin has on them, whether some deviously binding contract or incredibly damaging dirt on Brian or other members, it MUST be pretty damned good for them to let him run all over them like this.

Or maybe it's something as boring as simple venality? They let him have his way as long as the BIG BUCKS keep rollin' in? :roll:
sparafucile

Post by sparafucile »

Oh god *puke* I really hope Brian Sanderson doesn't/didn't take any advice from kev or reb about writing, because damn, I don't want the last WoT book to end up any more worse than it can end up being.

Can't say I've ever read any stuff by Brian Sanderson, and obviously, he won't be able to write on Robert Jordan's level, but there's still a chance he can do an acceptable job (plus he has RJ's wife acting as a creative consultant or something of sorts for help with content, not two and a half page of 'notes'), and any advice KJA gives will only harm A Memory of Light further :(
Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

sparafucile wrote:Oh god *puke* I really hope Brian Sanderson doesn't/didn't take any advice from kev or reb about writing, because damn, I don't want the last WoT book to end up any more worse than it can end up being.

Can't say I've ever read any stuff by Brian Sanderson, and obviously, he won't be able to write on Robert Jordan's level, but there's still a chance he can do an acceptable job (plus he has RJ's wife acting as a creative consultant or something of sorts for help with content, not two and a half page of 'notes'), and any advice KJA gives will only harm A Memory of Light further :(
But if KJA doesn't help, how will he know what superweapons to use?!?!?!
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

I thought it was pretty telling that KJA seemed so excited to talk with Sanderson. After all, who is the world's foremost expert in making money off of writing about the worlds created by other authors? Yeah, you got it.

The difference, of course, is that Sanderson just might have an ounce of talent.
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
GamePlayer
70mm God

Post by GamePlayer »

Ampoliros wrote: But if KJA doesn't help, how will he know what superweapons to use?!?!?!
LOL :lol: :lol: :lol:
"They can chew you up, but they gotta spit you out."
Robspierre

Post by Robspierre »

As I recall, Sanderson was also picked by Jordan himself.

Rob