"And we're big fans ourselves."

Moderators: Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ, Omphalos

SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

"And we're big fans ourselves."

Post by SandChigger »

"Box-Batter Tongue" (arnoldo) has evidently posted a link to this "Paul of Dune Interview with Herbert and Anderson" on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LY4joRGNJ8g

Interesting. Much smoother and more polished than their earlier efforts. No "Dune 2" slips from the B that I noticed. (But I've only listened to it once so far.) Guess they've got him on better meds now? He didn't seem as befuddled as usual, but his eyes certainly are shifty.

One thing I've noticed in recent interviews is Brian is now making explicit references to conversations he had with his father about the books. Took 'em long enough to come up with that, huh?

And Kevin...what can one say about the consummate snake-oil salesman? :roll:
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
GamePlayer
70mm God

Post by GamePlayer »

"and we're big fans oursleves"

Who wouldn't be? I'm a big fan of money :wink: :P
"They can chew you up, but they gotta spit you out."
Serkanner
Administrator

Post by Serkanner »

DAMN! I got scared shitless today when I visited the local "American Book Center"... my personal favourite store to find English literature. They already had copies of Pile of Dung!!!

I almost left the shop screaming, but I contained myself and treated myself with some Peter F. Hamilton to get over the scare.
"... the mystery of life isn't a problem to solve but a reality to experience."

“There is no escape—we pay for the violence of our ancestors.”

Sandrider: "Keith went to Bobo's for a weekend of drinking, watched some DVDs,
and wrote a Dune Novel."
TheDukester

Re: "And we're big fans ourselves."

Post by TheDukester »

SandChigger wrote: Much smoother and more polished than their earlier efforts.
A bit of media training, perhaps? It's pretty common, and even learning the basics (posture, enunciation, eye-contact, etc.) can help a poor interview subject become at least average.
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Baraka Bryan wrote:i love the reference to how closely fans will be reading it.

you better fucking believe it. closely reading/analyzing/ripping apart!
I really liked that bit, too.

And, yeah, they better KNOW it.

(I think they do. I hope they're having to keep Brian in Depends. :lol: )
Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

notice how at :52 seconds when they show Paul of Dune between Dune and Dune Messiah, both of Franks works move away from the camera as KJA's erec...er Paul of Dune gets larger. Mmm I Loves me some subtle marketing.

"he has to justify decisions to sterilize entire planets and engage in horrible bloody battles because he can see through his prescience that it will be worse if he doesn't"

W
T
F
?

Paul justifies the jihad? What? What? Ha ha ha I must have imagined that. Or maybe this is a joke.

Man, Kevin sure looks pretty athletic in that interview. Has he been hacking more? (heh heh heh I meant to write hiking...i'll leave it that way).
Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

That asshole anderson talks exactly like he writes.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

I've converted the file to mp4 and plan to transcribe it tonight.

Sometimes I just like to hurt myself....
inhuien

Post by inhuien »

Omphalos wrote:That asshole anderson talks exactly like he writes.
That's because they're one and the same :) or should that be :(
Mr. Teg

Post by Mr. Teg »

Brian's new hair dew kinda shaped like a squire from medieval times.
CHOAM
Combine Herbert Ober Anderson Mercantile, Narf!
Brian, Kevin & Byron :? :cylon101: :roll: The HLP
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Side-effect of the electroshock, maybe? :?
chanilover

Post by chanilover »

"It's dark but dark in a dark way that readers may find kind of dark with dark characters and a dark plot which is kind of dark."

"Some readers wondered why Paul started off good but ended up as a tyrant. We have written this book for those readers who are too fucking stupid to work it our for themselves."
"You and your buddies and that b*tch Mandy are nothing but a gang of lying, socially maladjusted losers." - St Hypatia of Arrakeen.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

:D

Great minds!

I was working on another DuneDemotivator entitled . . . "Dark" . . . but set it aside to do the one above.

I don't know, it was just too . . . dark. :lol:
Mr. Teg

Post by Mr. Teg »

chanilover wrote:"It's dark but dark in a dark way that readers may find kind of dark with dark characters and a dark plot which is kind of dark."

"Some readers wondered why Paul started off good but ended up as a tyrant. We have written this book for those readers who are too fucking stupid to work it our for themselves."
:lol: Exactly!

Well, in the last interview Kevin did say he wrote the books targeting his Star Wars fans (so apparently Brian wasn't part of that decision then :D could've written the books for his Sidney's Comet fans oh wait...are none. )
CHOAM
Combine Herbert Ober Anderson Mercantile, Narf!
Brian, Kevin & Byron :? :cylon101: :roll: The HLP
Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

Omphalos wrote:That asshole anderson talks exactly like he writes.
mmm dictation

Notice also how Brian talks to the camera, while everything Kevin says is "told" to Brian. The only time Kevin actively acknowledges the camera is when he quickly interjects "we're big fans ourselves!" Can't forget to get in that or people might think he's only in it for the money.

Oh crap, I'm "nitpicking the 'writers'" again.
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

This is the first time I've heard either of them talk - Brian sounds a lot more lucid than he looks in pictures. After hearig them talk about it, I think Brian honestly thinks they're doing a good job and that their books are a necessary addition to the duniverse. If anything that interview made me less angry at Brian, but the sheen of snake oil could be seen on KJA.

I did get a laugh out of KJA's "preshiance" :?
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Ampoliros wrote:Oh crap, I'm "nitpicking the 'writers'" again.
YESS, Luke! Give in to the DARK SIDE.

The side which is dark...but a different kind of dark. :roll:

Brian looks a lot more lucid than he has looked in a while in interviews as well.

Better or different meds, I tell you. :lol:

And I'm not so sure he was looking at the camera so much as at the cue cards someone was probably holding up for him. :roll:
GamePlayer
70mm God

Post by GamePlayer »

A Thing of Eternity wrote:After hearig them talk about it, I think Brian honestly thinks they're doing a good job and that their books are a necessary addition to the duniverse.
The best salesman is the one who believes his own bullshit :)
"They can chew you up, but they gotta spit you out."
trang

Post by trang »

OMFG!!! what a pair of twits!!!

Did ya notice that it took Brian 1minute 51 seconds to say "dad" instead of Frank Herbert? Like he is a stranger or something?? Man can ya feel the luv?

Brian's eyes are constantly shifting around up and down as he speaks, a little fucking guilty maybe?? Maybe he feel's the spirit of FH watching and anticipating a soul shock?

KJA is just a complete ass... they both drone on about "some fans" not understanding the shift from Dune to Messiah. I think the "some fans" start with these two morons. Brian says it himself, FH gave interview, discussion, and DETAILED explanation why the change. That effectively nullifies POD.

We dont need paul's younger years created out of thin air.

"dark and dark and dark, a lot of interplay between dark and dark." Butholes.

POD inbetween Dune and Messiah raises forward as you mentioned, but also KJA mentions "OUR TEN BOOKS and FH's six books" again their drival is rising at you from the screen as the smaller collection of FH falls away. KJA saying its hard to know where to start, hey why not start with the book that started it all you fuckhead, DUNE!!

I had never really scene them in an interview like thi (listened to others) and I am even more unimpressed.

AAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

Trang
"Long Live the Fighters", "Dragon.....the other white meat."

Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

Dude, dont you know? ever since Empire Stikes Back the middle book always has to be Dark. As it is in Star Wars, so shall it be in Dune. Amen.

You know, like Dark

I bet Paul feels like really Dark in this book. I bet he starts wearing Dark black stillsuits, and gets his nose pierced with the Dark ring of House Atreides. He'll moan about how Dark and sad he is and that no one gets him. (Wait thats Emo, not Dark.) I bet he hooks up with his Dark brother Dark Victor who is now a Dark Spice Vampire and fights the new Dark Sardaukariva Lupineiva Agressiva Ultramarineivas. Dark Paul Darklydumps Chani for Irulan "Daarkla" Corrino because she "gets him" and now dresses in tight Dark clothes all the time. Chani cuts herself and almost dies but is saved by the Dark ghola Dark Leeto.

Thats what the kiddies want now right?

heh heh heh, Spice Vampires. what a :croc: (we need a croc emote)
inhuien

Post by inhuien »

Would this do?
Hunchback Jack

Post by Hunchback Jack »

Brian's whole bit about "fans not understanding what happened to Paul" between Dune and Dune Messiah is consistent with his introduction to the Dune Messiah Ace hardcover. So I really do think he's serious about "clarifying" things for fans.

Of course, what makes the Dune series so remarkable is that it's *challenging*. Explanations aren't handed to you on a plate; you have to work things out, and it's not always obvious. Heck, you may need to read the books more than once to pick up subtleties you missed the first time.

Perish the thought that fans should have to do some work.

I've love to see these guys' responses to a Gene Wolfe book, which are pretty damn impenetrable unless you really pay attention.

HBJ
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

I didn't think that was a hard change to grasp at all, it was obvious that Paul wanted to avoid the Jihad more than anything, and that he was going to crash mentally when he had to go through with it - and it was obvious that people were going to hate him.

What exactly did people have a problem with? It would have been a complete surprise if everything was peachy in Messiah.
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

Everything that's going to be between the covers of PoD is basically a story that doesn't really need to be told. Frank Herbert was a good enough writer to understand this, so he kept the actual action off-stage.

But look at it from the Hiking Hack and the Brain-Dead Offspring's perspective: Awesome space battles! Bitchin' technology! Cool Jedi stuff! And that's all they have to come up with, over and over again, while they're out hiking or, in Brian's case, adding his signature to the document that gives KJA complete control over his father's legacy.

I'll bet this one was the easiest one of the 10 for the Hack Twins to "write." It'll just be 90 chapters of set-piece battles.
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
orald

Post by orald »

Heh, maybe they're ASoIaF fans? :P

Men call me Dark-Paul, and I am of the night.
In memory of Perach, who suffered and died needlessly.

I wish I could have been with you that one last time.