Jessica of Dune

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Jessica of Dune

Post by SandChigger »

According to KJA's blawg over on MySpace, he has already hiked out eight "chapters" of the next "Hero" book. (With two of them being women, shouldn't the series title be "Heroes and Heroines of Dune"? Or is "hero" like "actor" now, and can be used for either? Hey...maybe that's why they added the Leto book...symmetry? :P )

I wonder how many micro-chapters Brian has gotten finished? Or if he has even started. Or is still sharpening his pencils. Or poking at the lint in his navel....

Let's see, supposedly this one takes place between Messiah and Children, right? How much of a time gap was that again?

I suspect (and we shall soon see with Paul, either way) that these books are not strictly interquels but actually overlap the time periods of FH's originals.

Nothing is sacred. Everything sells.
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
GamePlayer
70mm God

Re: Jessica of Dune

Post by GamePlayer »

SandChigger wrote:According to KJA's blawg over on MySpace, he has already hiked out eight "chapters" of the next "Hero" book.
It's amazing how much work he gets done while sitting on the toilet :)

So, is there a nice big scan of the cover out yet? Demotivators wait for no man :)
Seraphan

Post by Seraphan »

GamePlayer wrote:
SandChigger wrote:According to KJA's blawg over on MySpace, he has already hiked out eight "chapters" of the next "Hero" book.
It's amazing how much work he gets done while sitting on the toilet :)

So, is there a nice big scan of the cover out yet? Demotivators wait for no man :)
That explains the shit found in his novels, it's his toilet paper. Weird how someone can shit out letters like he does :?
"The beginning of knowledge is the discovery of something we do not understand." - Frank Herbert
“This tutoring is dialectical. Literature makes us better noticers of life; we get to practice on life itself; which in turn makes us better readers of detail in literature; which in turn makes us better readers of life. And so on and on.” - James Wood
inhuien

Post by inhuien »

SandChigger wrote:Let's see, supposedly this one takes place between Messiah and Children, right? How much of a time gap was that again?
8 years or so IIRC.
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

SandChigger wrote:I wonder how many micro-chapters Brian has gotten finished?
None, of course.

But he has signed the piece of paper that gives KJA the right to do, for the eighth time, whatever the hell he wants with Frank Herbert's legacy.
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Um...tenth?

(3 Houses, 3 Legends, 2 Dune 7s, and this is the 2nd Hero. :shock: )
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

:lol:
GamePlayer
70mm God

Post by GamePlayer »

Ten? Wow, that's an entire order of magnitude more mediocre lameness than there was before! :)
Nebiros

Post by Nebiros »

When you read Paul of Dune please tell me if Norma and Erasmus make appearances. That will be the factor in my decision to buy the book or not. If they are, I will not buy the book, because I read Sandworms and I know they have totally gotten carried away with these two.

The last book without a robot and super Norma was I believe House Corrino. That includes The Road to Dune with the short stories.

That reminds me, I still am angry at Brian and Kevin for their dirty horrible trick at releasing an earlier version of The Road to Dune with four short stories which I bought and then a few months later releasing another edition with a fifth short story Sea Child in it. I am to waste my money on a second book just to get it or subscribe to some silly sci-fi magazine I have no interest in just to read it. How can they do this to loyal fans like me!?

I am a collector of Dune literature so I will not just read it in the store and put it back. I really will take a camera into the store and take a picture of every page so i can get it for FREE!
Serkanner
Administrator

Post by Serkanner »

If you are a Dune literature collector you don't need it. Stick to the original six and you are good. Burn the rest and make a movie of it.
"... the mystery of life isn't a problem to solve but a reality to experience."

“There is no escape—we pay for the violence of our ancestors.”

Sandrider: "Keith went to Bobo's for a weekend of drinking, watched some DVDs,
and wrote a Dune Novel."
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

(^^^ What they said. And never you mind that this was the thread for Jessica of Dune. :roll: )
Nebiros

Post by Nebiros »

I meant everything written taking place in the Dune Universe. I honestly did like the House series. But when I read Sandworms I really felt that Kevin and Brian had finally reached their limits with their ideas for Dune.

Trust me if you all dislike Kevin so much, support my scheme to bring a tiny camera into a Borders book store and take pictures of the pages of Sea Child in The Road to Dune. Oh and if they did release Treasure in the Sand in a later edition of Hunters that one also. It will mean that their marketing tactics fail. And you all want to see that happen right?
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Nebiros, you're not missing anything in that story. If you've read the first part on that website AND Sandworms then you know the story is about that CHOAM-sponsored group of treasure-hunters that Waff runs into when he returns to Rakis with his super amazing hard-armor worms. (The group in Sadworms is minus the Rakian priest, whatever his name was, from the short story.)

The short story doesn't really add anything to the Duniverse. It's certainly nothing to get your panties all bunched up over. And definitely not something to risk breaking the law over. (I believe taking a camera into a store and photographing the pages of copyrighted books must violate some statute somewhere.)
Nebiros

Post by Nebiros »

It is illegal. But I'm not going to mass fotocopy it and sell it for my own profit. They don't deserve the payment of TWO books from me so I can have a few extra pages of story on my bookshelf. I can read it in the store sure, but again I WANT the short stories on my bookshelf.

But to get back on topic, I agree with you this time that it is stupid to keep publishing so many Dune books at such fast a rate by dictating them into a recorder while hiking. The results of a hastily cobbled together book can be terrible as I have learned by reading Sandworms.

I thought they would take their time on the Heroes of Dune series. But it looks now that they will keep releasing one Dune book every year. Even Frank took the time of a few years in between each of his Dune novels before publishing the next one. He took time to gather ideas, double or even triple check his work and make several drafts before releasing his books. With the exception of Heretics and Chapterhouse.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

I watched an episode of The Simpsons this evening: the one where Marge gets it into her head to write a novel. (I know you can relate to that. ;) ) Near the end, when she figures out that Homer hasn't really read her finished first effort and accuses him of lying when he told her he had, he replies, "I was writing fiction with my mouth!"

Your comment about dictation reminded me that I thought of Kevin when I heard that. :D
Nebiros wrote:I thought they would take their time on the Heroes of Dune series. But it looks now that they will keep releasing one Dune book every year.
But why would you think that? After eight books in almost the same number of years, all evidently written in the same by-the-numbers/on-a-schedule way, why would you expect anything different now?

When they were first talking about this series (remember, that means KEVIN talking/blawgging about it) and announced their "Smellhole" original series, they were supposedly going to alternate the books in the two series, one year a "Dune" book, the next a "Smeller". But somewhere along the line that plan got changed and now it appears Jessica will come out before the first "Smellhole". They can't even stay consistent to their own schedules! :roll:
Frybread

Post by Frybread »

SandChigger wrote:According to KJA's blawg over on MySpace, he has already hiked out eight "chapters" of the next "Hero" book. (With two of them being women, shouldn't the series title be "Heroes and Heroines of Dune"? Or is "hero" like "actor" now, and can be used for either? Hey...maybe that's why they added the Leto book...symmetry? :P )

I wonder how many micro-chapters Brian has gotten finished? Or if he has even started. Or is still sharpening his pencils. Or poking at the lint in his navel....

Let's see, supposedly this one takes place between Messiah and Children, right? How much of a time gap was that again?

I suspect (and we shall soon see with Paul, either way) that these books are not strictly interquels but actually overlap the time periods of FH's originals.

Nothing is sacred. Everything sells.
Why can't these two take their time with these novels? It took FH six years to write the original Dune! Granted, the other FH books didn't take as long but they also are much better than KJA and BH's garbage.

If BH and KJA took their time maybe they would have more interesting plots and characterizations than what they had in the laughable SoD.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Because time is money.

The more time Kevin spends on a given book project, the less time he has to be "working" on the next one(s). There's no percentage in it for him to take more time to polish.

Besides, he says he dictates "perfect prose" from the start. :roll:

They talk about it taking a year to do one of these books, but in actual fact it's probably only about three months or so. (I think I went back through Kevin's blahg and found the dates for when they started and completed writing the manuscript of Paul of Dune, but can't recall what it was now. NOT very long, though.)

If they were great writers, the little time they're putting into the books wouldn't be an issue. Since the books are shit, it is.
GamePlayer
70mm God

Post by GamePlayer »

SandChigger wrote:Because time is money.

The more time Kevin spends on a given book project, the less time he has to be "working" on the next one(s). There's no percentage in it for him to take more time to polish.

Besides, he says he dictates "perfect prose" from the start. :roll:
Hahaha, now that's a phrase that belongs in a demotivator :)

The prequels are definitely the fast food version of book publishing, there can be no mistaking it. It's why the analogy is so fitting, because they really are written ready to serve, with all the unhealthy crap that goes along with refusing to prepare it the right way :)
"They can chew you up, but they gotta spit you out."
Serkanner
Administrator

Post by Serkanner »

By banning the image of the McDune they even acknowledge that the books are indeed nothing more then fast food ... just not for thought.
"... the mystery of life isn't a problem to solve but a reality to experience."

“There is no escape—we pay for the violence of our ancestors.”

Sandrider: "Keith went to Bobo's for a weekend of drinking, watched some DVDs,
and wrote a Dune Novel."