Frank Herbert's worst novel

Moderators: Mr. Teg, Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

martinburo

Frank Herbert's worst novel

Post by martinburo »

I'd be interested to know what you all think is the worst novel by Frank Herbert. I think it's Direct Descent, which are two story lines that aren't really connected, and neither of them goes anywhere.

After that I'd probably say The White Plague, though that's actually a well written book, with an interesting idea behind it, and it's an exploration of one of the themes that run's through much of FH's work: that the energy that a single person can wield has been steadily increasing since the agricultural revolution, and he's extrapolated that trend in several interesting ways, in TWP with biological "warfare". But I guess this book was too much of a detective story for me (though not a who done it, which is always clear).
orald

Post by orald »

This thread is an abomination in the eyes of God and his prophet, Frank Herbert! I say we lock it and burn the infidel! :x

From those I've read, definetly The God Makers- quite lame overall IMO, and with no point whatsoever.
In memory of Perach, who suffered and died needlessly.

I wish I could have been with you that one last time.
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

orald wrote:This thread is an abomination in the eyes of God and his prophet, Frank Herbert! I say we lock it and burn the infidel! :x
Didn't see that coming :roll:

The Green Brain, it just wasn't that good. I honestly think that if it didn't have FH on the cover no one would think very much of it.
Phaedrus

Post by Phaedrus »

orald wrote:This thread is an abomination in the eyes of God and his prophet, Frank Herbert! I say we lock it and burn the infidel! :x
So are you saying that all of Frank Herbert's books are equally good?

Wouldn't that mean that the books without Lord Leto are just as good as the ones with him?
You aren't thinking or really existing unless you're willing to risk even your own sanity in the judgment of your existence.
orald

Post by orald »

Of course! All of FH's words are GODLY! :evil:

Phaedrus

Post by Phaedrus »

So, we finally find the truth...there is a greater God than Leto in Orald's mind.
You aren't thinking or really existing unless you're willing to risk even your own sanity in the judgment of your existence.
Spicelon

Post by Spicelon »

Now that's just carzy talk.
Poop is funny.
MetaCugel8262 is not.
orald

Post by orald »

You're kinda annoying, Phaed, ya know? Can't you just let me praise FH and God Leto? What's it to you? Are you some damn preek trying to earn some credit to get into bed with Kevin?

Phaedrus

Post by Phaedrus »

orald wrote:You're kinda annoying, Phaed, ya know? Can't you just let me praise FH and God Leto? What's it to you? Are you some damn preek trying to earn some credit to get into bed with Kevin?
Me, a preek? Ha. Going to accuse SandChigger and Freakzilla next?

No, I just thrive on breaking down the inconsistencies and contradictions in other people's worldviews.
orald

Post by orald »

Phaedrus wrote:other people's worldviews.
Oh yes, now it's a "worldview".

:roll:

Phaedrus

Post by Phaedrus »

Was it ever not?
TheDukester

Re: Frank Herbert's worst novel

Post by TheDukester »

martinburo wrote:After that I'd probably say The White Plague, though that's actually a well written book ...
I certainly haven't read them all, but I'd agree that TWP was a difficult slog.
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

I haven't read them all, but I thought The Heaven Makers was a little painful.
Spicelon

Post by Spicelon »

After Destination: Void, I think the followups with Bill Ransom were pretty weak.
Poop is funny.
MetaCugel8262 is not.
A Thing of Eternity

Spicelon wrote:After Destination: Void, I think the followups with Bill Ransom were pretty weak.
:shock: This emoticon does nothing to explain how shocked I am that someone just made that statement. SHOCKED. :shock:
Spicelon

Post by Spicelon »

A Thing of Eternity wrote:
Spicelon wrote:After Destination: Void, I think the followups with Bill Ransom were pretty weak.
:shock: This emoticon does nothing to explain how shocked I am that someone just made that statement. SHOCKED. :shock:
I know, I am badd.
Poop is funny.
MetaCugel8262 is not.
orald

Post by orald »

Indeed! :x

Mr. Teg

Post by Mr. Teg »

Same here.
CHOAM
Combine Herbert Ober Anderson Mercantile, Narf!
Brian, Kevin & Byron :? :cylon101: :roll: The HLP
A Thing of Eternity

Mr. Teg wrote:
Same here.
You guys are killing me! How can you not love those books just for the style of prose alone? I can grasp not loving Lazarus or Ascension, but TJI? Was there anything in particular you guys didn't like or was it just an over sense of not being drawn in/liking it? I know you guys have good taste (you like Dune, hate new Dune - that prooves it in theory :D ) I'm just curious as to why you didn't like these, because they come in close second for me.
Spicelon

Post by Spicelon »

Mr. Teg wrote:
Same here.
You guys are killing me! How can you not love those books just for the style of prose alone? I can grasp not loving Lazarus or Ascension, but TJI? Was there anything in particular you guys didn't like or was it just an over sense of not being drawn in/liking it? I know you guys have good taste (you like Dune, hate new Dune - that prooves it in theory :D ) I'm just curious as to why you didn't like these, because they come in close second for me.
To be honest, it's been a long, long time since I read them, and I wouldn't
rule out a re-read.

From what I remember, after D:V the books resembled more of an
sinister/adventure story and weren't really presenting any new BIG ideas,
something I prefer from FH. I could be wrong, though. I firmly DO
remember not being drawn in when I read them, for whatever reason. I
have read the White Plague and Dosadi, and I distinctly remember liking
them more than the DV books.
Poop is funny.
MetaCugel8262 is not.
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

I didn't much like TJI. I guess I was expecting more of Ship to be in it. Other than that I can't really put my finger on anything. It's been so long since I read the rest of that series I can't remember them.

Now that I've finished reading all six of FH's Dune books at the same time, I may pick up where TJI left off.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Baraka Bryan wrote:
Freakzilla wrote:I didn't much like TJI. I guess I was expecting more of Ship to be in it. Other than that I can't really put my finger on anything. It's been so long since I read the rest of that series I can't remember them.

Now that I've finished reading all six of FH's Dune books at the same time, I may pick up where TJI left off.

the D:V books have been elusive to me. I've tried to get them out of either library system i'm in and they have no copies. and having just moved to Toronto, i don't know where a good used book store is. AToE... you're in TO right, do you know of any?
I think I have them all in electonic format.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Baraka Bryan wrote:
Freakzilla wrote:
Baraka Bryan wrote:
Freakzilla wrote:I didn't much like TJI. I guess I was expecting more of Ship to be in it. Other than that I can't really put my finger on anything. It's been so long since I read the rest of that series I can't remember them.

the D:V books have been elusive to me. I've tried to get them out of either library system i'm in and they have no copies. and having just moved to Toronto, i don't know where a good used book store is. AToE... you're in TO right, do you know of any?
reaaalllllyyyyy... 8)
I don't have them here at work but I'll try to send them to you tonight. If you don't get them by morning, remind me.
~Pink Snowman
Spicelon

Post by Spicelon »

Freakzilla wrote:
Baraka Bryan wrote:

PM sent.
Poop is funny.
MetaCugel8262 is not.
A Thing of Eternity

Baraka Bryan wrote:

No, I'm in Van. Sorry.