History of trying of Dune to film

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

Robspierre

History of trying of Dune to film

Post by Robspierre »

http://www.duneinfo.com/unseen/timeline.asp

Pretty neat site, they even have a bunch of the David Lynch script drafts.

Rob
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Cool.

I found it interesting that Frank Herbert's own script was deemed "unsuitable". Maybe the novel writing talents didn't translate?

Hmmm. A lesson no doubt lost on the wrong people. ;)

Then again, since they're such shitty writers of books, maybe Kevin and Brian [snicker] could be excellent screenwriters?! :shock:

They can't possibly suck at everything, can they? :?

(Yeah, they probably can. Kevin should go back to waiting tables and Brian to cleaning hotel rooms or selling insurance! :P )
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
orald

Post by orald »

I bet insurance salemen get more money than I do, and for an easier job too. :cry:
In memory of Perach, who suffered and died needlessly.

I wish I could have been with you that one last time.
trang

Post by trang »

I have no problem with them going back to what the hell ever they were doing before. If KJA wants to write his own crap and people by it, fine by me, let them suffer. BH can go back to his nonsese also. Just leave well enough alone.

Anyway, I had never heard the Audio interview by waldenbooks posted by one of our gracious members here. FH himself answers the question on his script compared to lynch's, and script writing in general. He stated that to take a novel and adapt to a scipt was like translating into another language, the visual language. He did say after the initial attempt he felt he could write a worthy script, has it was a large learning curve.

I found that part of interview very interesting, imagine the page, half page or maybe a few pages (sometimes just a paragraph for masters like FH) it takes to describe a scene in the book. Where on the big screen the visual can be a couple of seconds. A hard task indeed to accomplish.

Reverse it, you see a car crash, a few seconds of action at most, then you try describe it to your friends, doesnt always translate well, or as well as you intended.

Can go even further take sounds, described in words never compares to the actual, or vice versa.

The one thing about the translation either way that has yet to be accomplished, is consistancy, for Dune anyway. I wish someone would take great care and create the translation to script, but be as accurate and in timeline with the written book, as humanly possible.

I know somethings dont translate well from the book (uniforms, vehicles, etc) and some interpretation is needed. This does not however mean the story timeline has to be changed at all. The events can take place in the multithreaded way they do in the book, without change.

Examples, Lynch film has the scene where paul is tested by the reverend mother, in the castle on caladan, which was good, I like that scene, almost verbatum from book, and visually satisfying as I saw it in my mind. Why though did the SCi-fi minseries feel it necessary for it to be done on a ship in orbit as they were loading the highliner? the scene is cold, dry, and visually unappealing, not to mention the acting was poor.

A friend of mine said once, if they made 100 different visual Dune's, he would watch them all, just to see how they did. I tend to agree, good bad or indifferent, eventually someone will get it write. The epic feel and look, with accuracy and reverence to the story. The complexity of the concepts and the flow of the story. Hopefully the visual/audio appeal will be striking as well.

I guess we will wait and see, I fully expect BH/KJA will completely blow this movie project out there ass's, and we will be on to the next incarnation Im sure.

On the visual note, I have become a Dune Gif/Jpg hor of late, collecting various pictures from any source when Im rambling across the web. I have about 100 images now, and its kind of fun seeing what is out there. I luv the images here that have been added, great to look at.

Fairday,
Trang
"Long Live the Fighters", "Dragon.....the other white meat."

SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

(Ah...I've downloaded those but not listened to them all the way through yet. :oops: The part about translation to another (visual) language I've seen before, though. ;) )
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"