The Unabomber Manifesto and TBJ

HoosierDaddy

The Unabomber Manifesto and TBJ

Post by HoosierDaddy »

Many years ago before the Unabomber was arrested and jailed in the US, he wrote a manifesto that was published by various news organizations.

When I skimmed through it back then, I was surprised that it was well written, and that it struck of Frank Herbert's prediction of a future jihad against technology.

http://cyber.eserver.org/unabom.txt

Not an easy read, but skimming through the section titles will give an idea of what he was railing against. Maybe an easier read is the wiki on him:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theodore_Kaczynski

I wonder if he ever read FH books?

:P
orald

Re: The Unabomber Manifesto and TBJ

Post by orald »

HoosierDaddy wrote:I wonder if he ever read FH books?

Of course not! No FH reader would EVER think of bombing anything! :shock:

Damn, they're on to me!

EDIT: Is it bad that I see some correlation between his and my own thinking? :shock:
In memory of Perach, who suffered and died needlessly.

I wish I could have been with you that one last time.
GamePlayer
70mm God

Post by GamePlayer »

I remember reading somewhere that Dune was a big hit in many middle eastern countries :)
orald

Post by orald »

Oh really? Well, The White Plague sure is a hit here. As in, my room.

:twisted:

SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

(arnoloco used to quote passages from the manifesto in support of his interpretation of the Jihad [basically P&B's Terminator one] without attributing the source. Obviously no one was paying enough attention to him to try tracking it down. :lol: )
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
waff

Post by waff »

We can launch a Unabomber jihad against the HLP. "Thou shalt not make a crappy book in the likeness of a Dune novel"!
HoosierDaddy

Post by HoosierDaddy »

SandChigger wrote:(arnoloco used to quote passages from the manifesto in support of his interpretation of the Jihad [basically P&B's Terminator one] without attributing the source. Obviously no one was paying enough attention to him to try tracking it down. :lol: )
The gist I got from browsing the Unabomber manifesto is Teddy was much closer to FH's future vision, than to P&B's Omnipus and Erashole. His fear was not machine minds taking over, rather technology/government dehumanizing mankind into a drone-like existence.

And given that he was a smart paranoid schitzo living in a shack, he had a lot of motivation (and free time).

HoosierDaddy

Post by HoosierDaddy »

waff wrote:We can launch a Unabomber jihad against the HLP. "Thou shalt not make a crappy book in the likeness of a Dune novel"!
I seem to remember Chigger proposing such an idea a while back. Something about creating hollowed out prequels/sequels (with some of his own "editing inside), and mailing them back to KA.

The cry "I shate in your books, and they remain unchanged" would unite the faithful.

SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Um...I don't believe that was me came up with that idea. :wink:
HoosierDaddy

Post by HoosierDaddy »

SandChigger wrote:Um...I don't believe that was me came up with that idea. :wink:
Your fatwa on Pinky was inspired by the prophet, and will lead us all to paradise. Sending a few "copies" to Tor Books should also qualify for the "72 houri" bonus.

Long live the fighters!

SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

:shock:

Oh. Dear.

To paraphrase "the prophet" then: "Cult! RUN!!!" :P
orald

Post by orald »

Silly amateurs. You blast people to bits to scare them, not send them some dried up feces. :roll:

Long live the jihad! :twisted:

SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

You know, mention of Jihad and blowing things up is very likely to bring this site to the attention of the wrong sort of people. Think you might want to tone it down a bit? :wink:
GamePlayer
70mm God

Post by GamePlayer »

Sounds like a job that calls for Jihad Watch!

*trumpets sound*

:lol:
HoosierDaddy

Post by HoosierDaddy »

SandChigger wrote:You know, mention of Jihad and blowing things up is very likely to bring this site to the attention of the wrong sort of people. Think you might want to tone it down a bit? :wink:
Otter wrote:We gotta take these bastards. Now we could do it with conventional weapons. But that could take years and cost millions of lives. No, I think we have to go all out. I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part.
And we're just the guys to do it.

orald

Post by orald »

Sorry, Chig, I forgot how me mentioning my HATRED of Obama and my desire to ASSASSINATE him could draw unwanted attention to this here site. :wink:

Nah, I'd rather kill the Clintons first, they've already done things to deserve death that I know of.

Secher_Nbiw

Post by Secher_Nbiw »

Is it just me, or can anyone else see the irony of reading the Unabomber Manifesto online? ;)
I am a mortal god.
Lundse

Post by Lundse »

Secher_Nbiw wrote:Is it just me, or can anyone else see the irony of reading the Unabomber Manifesto online? ;)
Hehe - good one. I wonder if there are any discussion groups about it too?
EsperandoAGodot

Post by EsperandoAGodot »

I guess the epithet "Talifan" may not be too far from the truth, then? :lol:

Anyway, was the naming of the Jihad not also hinting at a philosophical relationship to Samuel Butler?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samuel_Butler_(novelist)

In this case, to say that machine intelligence was a fear of the Jihad is not entirely off base. Of course, it doesn't seem FH was discussing an actual war against enslaving machines, but it's likely that the jihadists may have felt that, in the end, it was either going to be the machines or us. I like to think the crap we've been handed in the Legends of Dune trilogy is the sort of stuff that the craziest of the crazies during the Butlerian Jihad imagined the future might hold.
DUNE - Chronicles of the Imperium
A free-form, forum based RPG
http://boards.theforce.net/non_star_war ... 346/p1/?11
Launched and ready to fire.
distrans

Re: The Unabomber Manifesto and TBJ

Post by distrans »

his manifesto is incredibly articulate

did you know that in his youth at college he was a subject in the mind control torture experiments the government was funding at the time?
xcalibur

Re:

Post by xcalibur »

HoosierDaddy wrote: 05 Jul 2008 20:40
SandChigger wrote:(arnoloco used to quote passages from the manifesto in support of his interpretation of the Jihad [basically P&B's Terminator one] without attributing the source. Obviously no one was paying enough attention to him to try tracking it down. :lol: )
The gist I got from browsing the Unabomber manifesto is Teddy was much closer to FH's future vision, than to P&B's Omnipus and Erashole. His fear was not machine minds taking over, rather technology/government dehumanizing mankind into a drone-like existence.

And given that he was a smart paranoid schitzo living in a shack, he had a lot of motivation (and free time).

This is accurate. I can't point to any particular Dune connections, but it's certainly possible. Regardless of how you regard Ted Kaczynski, his work is brilliant. The bits about oversocialization and power process explained alot, and answered questions that had bothered me for years. His analysis of the Left is also accurate, and is downright prescient regarding the ongoing Culture War.
Fremen : Museum Fremen :: Frank : Brian & Kevin