Hello from "Last in Space"

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

Last in Space

Hello from "Last in Space"

Post by Last in Space »

This place is a legend, and has for me, been super-hard to get access to!

I've been checking out this forum for years - I think from its early days - but have never managed to successfully register until today (usually "timed out" in the middle of the process) - when I just thought today I might give registering here another chance, and ... astonishingly to me, it worked for the very first time ever, after many many failed attempts! Ha! So ...

HELLO!!!

Introducing myself:
Firstly, my username "Last in Space"! Well, as we all do, I love Planet Earth, and I would never want to get into a "tin can" and leave it - although I do massively appreciate astronomy, so it's a joke on that. I am a big fan of biological sciences and earth sciences, and that's where my heart lies. I am an English man, and born and bred in the UK.

Dune Hexalogy - my attitude towards it:
I would call myself and "appreciative reader" rather than a "fan" of Dune, as I greatly appreciate the stimulation of Herbert's writing (I read all six books as a teenager and young adult). However I have a selective attitude towards it - enjoying some elements and not others - and I am registering today because I am totally confident that is welcome here! :D (I would add that this is my attitude to fictional media generally - I'd be reluctant to call myself a "fan" of any fictional "franchise" - even ones I have read or watched much of).
My teenage and young adult years are long gone, and my recall of Herbert's novels is patchy! But Herbert gave much stimulation and food for thought (and the imagination) in his novels, that I have dropped by to read this forum from time to time, and have often wanted to contribute to posts. I am glad that I now can! Thank you to the administrator(s) and moderator(s) for providing this forum! :clap:

Life, the Universe, and Everything - my attitude towards it:
On the one hand I am a science-minded skeptical thinker, on the other hand, I think our PRIMARY experience of being human - namely consciousness itself - is really incomprehensible to science - and I reserve judgement on this fundamental mystery of life. I have an anti-religious outlook myself, whilst liking to be mindful and respectful that everyone's worldview springs from their unique experience and consciousness.

Herbert Estate "Extensions" - my experience of:
I read the House Trilogy when it came out - initially intrigued by the new authors "mixing it up a bit" - but found it a lot of it to be tedious and in the end it all felt rather pointless; and I didn't touch Legends, which felt like trash from the get go. I gave them another go for Hunters, because, well Dune 7!! (LOL) - but I stopped at the end of that!!

Anyway, thanks in advance for any welcomes. After spending some time saying "Hi!", I need to duck out now and attend to real life!

Thanks again for the opportunity to post here, and of course to READ here, which I have already enjoyed doing for some time.
Serkanner
Administrator

Re: Hello from "Last in Space"

Post by Serkanner »

Welcome Home!
"... the mystery of life isn't a problem to solve but a reality to experience."

“There is no escape—we pay for the violence of our ancestors.”

Sandrider: "Keith went to Bobo's for a weekend of drinking, watched some DVDs,
and wrote a Dune Novel."
georgiedenbro

Post by georgiedenbro »

Hello!
"um-m-m-ah-h-h-hm-m-m-m!"
Cpt. Aramsham

Post by Cpt. Aramsham »

Welcome. I also found it very hard to successfully register on the forum, though that's many years ago now. Will be interested to see what you mean to post.
Last in Space

Post by Last in Space »

Thank you for all your welcomes, Serkanner, georgiedenbro and Cpt. Aramsham! :)
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

:text-welcomeconfetti: :text-welcomeconfetti:

I think we have the registration problems worked out now, sorry about that.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman