I was a friend of Joseph Vintimille Tariki Askaris

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

I was a friend of Joseph Vintimille Tariki Askaris

Post by Freakzilla »

I was a friend of Joseph Vintimille Tariki Askaris.

I just heard from Jo's cousin today that he died on April 2nd. He was very ill and died the day after a surgery. He was as passionate about Dune as any I've ever seen. As our webmaster Jo made many great improvements to our sietch, including this beautiful new theme which he unfortunately was unable to finish. I will think of him every time I see it.

I take these forum upgrades as a friend of Jo -- leader's right.

:cry:
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
distrans

Re: I was a friend of Joseph Vintimille Tariki Askaris

Post by distrans »

his answers to my questions were great encouragement's as to where to keep searching
wish I hadn't lost so much time...

i take his subtlety
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

(Username JvTA)
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Eyes High
Patience Personified

Post by Eyes High »

I was a friend of Joseph. He always treated me so nicely and made me feel welcome. We had talks on various subjects and I admire his intellect.

I shed my water for Joseph Vintimille Tariki Askaris. :tissue2:

:sad-teareye:
What fear is there in the night?
Nothing, but that which is in our own imaginations.
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

What did Chig used to call Jo? The French Tsunami? Something like that. That guy was more energetic about the Dune community than anyone I ever met, and he did more for it that any five of us put together. Anytime anyone had an idea about how to do some research project with a Dune theme, Jo made it better, and figured out how to share it with everyone. Jo was as combative and vengeful as he was enthusiastic. I hope that those whom Jo argued with can come together at this sad moment. I will miss him.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
Serkanner
Administrator

Post by Serkanner »

I was a friend of Joseph. He thought me to search first and then ask questions. He will be sorely missed. :cry:
"... the mystery of life isn't a problem to solve but a reality to experience."

“There is no escape—we pay for the violence of our ancestors.”

Sandrider: "Keith went to Bobo's for a weekend of drinking, watched some DVDs,
and wrote a Dune Novel."
Kwisatz

Post by Kwisatz »

I was a friend of Joseph. We were working together on a project to catalog all Dune items in existence.
Now I'll continue it on my own.

Bi-la kaifa Fremen Brother!
Anudar

Post by Anudar »

I heard about the sad news yesterday. I wanted to share my sinceres condolences here, on the Jacurutu Forum where Askaris felt at home.

I would like to say I felt close to Askaris for a while. Back in 2012, he gifted me some good advices about a project I was wanting to resume. That project is very important to me, and I think his methodological advices were what I lacked to complete my challenge. That is what I will remember him for.
Bi-lal kaïfa !
ionah

Post by ionah »

To hear of the recent loss of Askaris was saddening, and I would like to extend my sincere condolences to your community. I want to express my sympathy and let you know that my thoughts are with you; sharing in your sorrow the memory of someone so special that can never be forgotten.

"the life of the dead is placed in the memory of the living" ~ Cicero
houseofwilliams

Post by houseofwilliams »

It's been forever since I came by this site, so the news certainly took me by surprise. I'm so sorry for the loss of Joseph. I wish I had taken the time to get to know him and others here better. I'm sure he'll be missed and hope everyone in this group is made closer from this loss.
lotek

Post by lotek »

I was a friend of Joseph, when the Dunabominations arrived in my life and I met the Cast Out, his voice was one of the strongest and alive I'd ever heard, a relentless force for truth and justice and a fountain of knowledge.
When my motivation faded, he was always there to inspire me, sometimes with no gloves on, the guy packed a word punch!
I give water to the dead, and I hope one day we will meet in our descendants Other Memory, while scouring the known universe with our Heighliners, expanding our minds with the wonders of space, a spice beer in hand.

Kull wahad ! Brother, I will miss you, and I hope that I can do my part to ensure the legacy of your hard work endures.
Spice is the worm's gonads.
georgiedenbro

Post by georgiedenbro »

I was a friend of Jo. I never interacted with him directly, but he helped create this place where I've spent so much time, so in a way it's like I was in the house and never met one of the hosts. My thanks to him.
"um-m-m-ah-h-h-hm-m-m-m!"
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

I haven't been all that connected lately but saw this and...

When I was trying to figure out some coding for educational purposes and not just screwing around in my personal time, he messaged me with the support I needed and helped me figure it out. He always had time to help and spread the word.

I'm taking that code and making sure it makes people on my work forum wonder how the hell my posts look so much better than theirs.
"If he was here to discuss Dune, he sure as hell picked a dumb way to do it." -Omphalos :character-cookiemonster:

Happy Memorial Day everyone! -James C. Harwood

"Three of my videos have over 100 views."
"Over 500 views for my 'Open Question' video." -Nebiros
DuneFishUK

Post by DuneFishUK »

I was a friend of Askaris. Joseph was the ever-present friendly face that seemed to pop up in every corner of the online Duniverse. The known universe feels noticeably less energetic and ambitious without him. :(
- http://www.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - http://dunefont.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; -
Naib

Post by Naib »

I was a friend of Jo. We never had direct contact, but this place is a haven for Dune purists like you and I. I thank him for his hard work and will remember him whenever I use this board.
Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

I was a friend of Jo,

His plan worked.
Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
Seindfu

Post by Seindfu »

I was a friend of Joseph,

Tonight, i've found at my parents home, some books he send me back then.

I can't tell how nostalgic, and sad i am tonight.

He was probably my best online friend, he help me so much in so many way.

I know it's been 4 years already, but this place was the only place i've thought where i could let my sadness flow.

hope he is fine no matter where he is
DuckAtreides

Post by DuckAtreides »

I was a friend of Joe's. Anyone who strives to integrity in fiction, rather than slop, is a worthy friend.