PC Gamer's Crapshoot Review of Cryo's Dune

Moderators: Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ, Omphalos

Jodorowsky's Acolyte

PC Gamer's Crapshoot Review of Cryo's Dune

Post by Jodorowsky's Acolyte »

http://www.pcgamer.com/2014/06/21/satur ... hoot-dune/

This is an ongoing review series which looks at obscure games from the past, and explores either what makes them interesting or what makes them bad. The author of the series just did an article on the first Dune game, and its a cool tribute to it. Check it out.
'...all those who took part in the rise and fall of the Dune project learned how to fall one and one thousand times with savage obstinacy until learning how to stand. I remember my old father who, while dying happy, said to me: "My son, in my life, I triumphed because I learned how to fail."' -Alejandro Jodorowsky
inhuien

Re: PC Gamer's Crapshoot Review of Cryo's Dune

Post by inhuien »

In the voice of a young Alia "Poor Baron, wait until my brother comes with his many Freman warrior to laugh at your 4 man boobies"
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

At least he's not diseased.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Naïve mind

Post by Naïve mind »

I loved the quip about Duncan Idaho :)
Zara browne

Post by Zara browne »

The story is mostly based on the plot of the Dune novel: the player is Paul Atreides, son of Duke Leto Atreides and Lady Jessica. The House Atreides was given an irrefusable offer by the Emperor Shaddam IV – mine the spice from the desert planet Arrakis, occupied by their longtime arch-enemies: the House Harkonnen. Duke Leto accepts the offer not only because of the wealth provided by Spice trading, but also to defeat the Harkonnens. The game, seen always through the eyes of Paul, is a mix between real-time strategy and an adventure game. While the basis of the game is the strategy component, dialog between characters and a linear plotline give the game more depth than most strategy games. The player is also required to do some miniquests involving talking to characters and traveling to locations, which adds a small adventure game element.
Dune consists of two interwoven gameplay layers: an adventure layer reminiscent of dungeon crawler games, and a top-down strategy layer more reminiscent of 4X game. The player may switch between these two layers at will, to carry out completely different sets of activities required to win the game. The game runs in real-time, measuring both the time of day (with corresponding changes to the in-game visuals) as well as the number of days elapsed since the beginning of the game. The flow of time is crucial and it passes at the same pace regardless of which layer is being viewed.