DE references in Heretics and Chapterhouse

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

Rymoah

DE references in Heretics and Chapterhouse

Post by Rymoah »

Not that I want to discuss again the canonicity of McNelly's Dune Encyclopedia, but I'd like to know if any effort has been made in trying to trace all the possible references to the DE that Frank Herbert put in his last two books of the Chronicles.

For example, I just found this:
Frank Herbert in Chapterhouse:Dune wrote: She fell into a semi-reverie, still alert to the sounds behind her, but relishing the evidence of new victories that had been displayed to her this morning. She liked to roll the names of captive planets silently on her tongue.

Wallach, Kronin, Reenol, Ecaz, Bela Tegeuse, Gammu, Gamont, Niushe...
Contributor of Ampoliros entry in the DE wrote: AMPOLIROS, LEGEND OF. A pre-Guild legend appearing on many planets, including Arrakis, Ix, Kronin, Reenol, Ecaz, Caladan, Bela Tegeuse, Giedi Prime, Gamont and all the planets of Niushe.
If I'm not mistaken, Kronin and Reenol aren't referenced in any other book in the Chronicles.

Rymoah
inhuien

Re: DE references in Heretics and Chapterhouse

Post by inhuien »

I've not heard of any such undertaking.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Rymoah wrote:I'd like to know if any effort has been made in trying to trace all the possible references to the DE that Frank Herbert put in his last two books of the Chronicles.
Not that I know of; interesting.
If I'm not mistaken, Kronin and Reenol aren't referenced in any other book in the Chronicles.
So it seems. Nice catch.

(If this is original to McNelly, it would be fantastic, because The Hacks Twain reference Kronin in House Corrino. :lol: )
lotek

Post by lotek »

Yup I'd be interested to know who came first, the chicken or the egg ^^

Well done Rymoah !

You are a true cherry-picker (which is a compliment here, as over at dungnovels it was used as an insult against me) !
Spice is the worm's gonads.
Rymoah

Post by Rymoah »

SandChigger wrote: So it seems. Nice catch.

(If this is original to McNelly, it would be fantastic, because The Hacks Twain reference Kronin in House Corrino. :lol: )
:lol: I didn't remember Kronin appeared also in House Corrino. I noticed that the Ampoliros entry is one of those which lack initials at the end of the article -- can't tell if its author is exactly McNelly or one of the other contributors.
lotek wrote: You are a true cherry-picker (which is a compliment here, as over at dungnovels it was used as an insult against me) !
I must have missed that, it's long time I (fortunately!) don't lurk or post on the "official" board. Anyway, thanks! :)

Rymoah
lotek

Post by lotek »

it was a while ago, my blaze of glory was short and byron must have erased my posts quickly. Now all my ips are banned so I haven't been back there since.
Not that it matters.
Spice is the worm's gonads.
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

To do such a thing one would need an intimate knowledge of the DE while reading through HoD and CH:D.

It's a good idea, though.

It's been a long time since I read the entire DE, maybe I'll do that after GEoD this time around.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Rymoah

Post by Rymoah »

Freakzilla wrote:To do such a thing one would need an intimate knowledge of the DE while reading through HoD and CH:D.

It's a good idea, though.

It's been a long time since I read the entire DE, maybe I'll do that after GEoD this time around.
Well, I am reading and analysing the DE for the Wiki we started at DuneItalia, but it'll definitely take an immense amount of time (and you can deduce it by observing the entry I've arrived at :D). Furthermore, my re-reading of the Chronicles stuck after book I in Dune, but I'll try anyway to report in this thread all the other references in HoD and CH:D while I'm reading through the DE.

Rymoah
DrunkenIdaho

Post by DrunkenIdaho »

There's also the name of the founder of the Mentats.

Frank Herbert in Chapterhouse: Dune wrote: Simulflow poured it through her awareness: Order of Mentats, founded by Gilbertus Albans; temporary sanctuary with Bene Tleilax who hoped to incorporate them into Tleilaxu hegemony; spread into uncounted "seed schools"; suppressed by Leto II because they formed a nucleus of independent opposition; spread into the Scattering after the Famine.

Contributor of Mentats, History of the Order in the DE wrote:
Founded 1234 during the reign of Mikael I, the Builder, by Gilbertus Albans (1192-1294); originally established on the planet Septimus, later moved to Tleilax (1246); expanded and reorganized by Grodon Orpar Playt (1186-1272); suppressed by Leto II in 11745.
Power attracts the corruptible. Absolute power attracts the absolutely corruptible. This is the danger of
entrenched bureaucracy to its subject population. Even spoils systems are preferable because levels of tolerance are
lower and the corrupt can be thrown out periodically. Entrenched bureaucracy seldom can be touched short of
violence. Beware when Civil Service and Military join hands! - Murbella