Other Memory

Moderators: Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ, Omphalos

BH

Re: Other Memory

Post by BH »

Serkanner wrote:Interestingly enough I was laughed off earlier in this topic (page 5) about me having a similar premises. Serkanner score!
Some of us continue to laugh.

Neener, neener!
The Mutati are NOT facedancers! They are TOTALLY different! Can'you'not see that?
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

For the record, I didn't laugh. Well, not AT YOU. :lol:
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Serkanner
Administrator

Post by Serkanner »

:lol: ... Do we have a "smug" smiley?
"... the mystery of life isn't a problem to solve but a reality to experience."

“There is no escape—we pay for the violence of our ancestors.”

Sandrider: "Keith went to Bobo's for a weekend of drinking, watched some DVDs,
and wrote a Dune Novel."
Serkanner
Administrator

Post by Serkanner »

BH wrote:
Serkanner wrote:Interestingly enough I was laughed off earlier in this topic (page 5) about me having a similar premises. Serkanner score!
Some of us continue to laugh.

Neener, neener!
Says the one who uses TheHacks' codpiece as a pacifier.
"... the mystery of life isn't a problem to solve but a reality to experience."

“There is no escape—we pay for the violence of our ancestors.”

Sandrider: "Keith went to Bobo's for a weekend of drinking, watched some DVDs,
and wrote a Dune Novel."
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Oops... :oops:
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
distrans

Post by distrans »

pacifier?!??!

as opposed to a chew ring thingeey...
distrans

Post by distrans »

In a letter to William Kennedy, Hunter Thompson confided that he was "coming to view the free enterprise system as the single greatest evil in the history of human savagery."[Hunter S. Thompson The Proud Highway, 1998, pg. 456.]

the bene gesserit mention that other memories provides the revelation of what savagery people are capable of and what great examples of it you have in your ancestry in order to be among the survivors of human evolution.

not sure how deep into history other memories extends but lets say its confined to that portion where language is used; say 80,000 years. that makes nearly 90% of them from hunter gather societys which would predominantly have been matriarchal

yet the pre-born kwisatz haderach only mention agriculturalists men used in alliance to keep the hordes of other memories at bay

was this a comment on where frank saw the peak of human despotism?

I don't remember paul mentioning any alliance
nor any reverend months needing help preserving their individuality from the female line
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

distrans wrote:In a letter to William Kennedy, Hunter Thompson confided that he was "coming to view the free enterprise system as the single greatest evil in the history of human savagery."[Hunter S. Thompson The Proud Highway, 1998, pg. 456.]

the bene gesserit mention that other memories provides the revelation of what savagery people are capable of and what great examples of it you have in your ancestry in order to be among the survivors of human evolution.

not sure how deep into history other memories extends but lets say its confined to that portion where language is used; say 80,000 years. that makes nearly 90% of them from hunter gather societys which would predominantly have been matriarchal

yet the pre-born kwisatz haderach only mention agriculturalists men used in alliance to keep the hordes of other memories at bay

was this a comment on where frank saw the peak of human despotism?

I don't remember paul mentioning any alliance
nor any reverend months needing help preserving their individuality from the female line
I believe Leto II's OM went back to the original cell. I'm not sure how far back RM's go.

Bene Gesserit Reverend Mothers have what they call their Mohalata, a union of their benign ancestors that protect them from malignant ancestors.
~Pink Snowman
pcqypcqy

Post by pcqypcqy »

Also, Paul was an adult (or nearly one) when he took the spice. Alia, Leto II and Ghanima were pre-born.

From memory, FH spends some time discussing this in CoD and/or GEoD, explaining how the overcame their other memories.

Part of the solution is that adults have their own identity, so are better at resisting posession.
georgiedenbro

Post by georgiedenbro »

Freakzilla wrote: Bene Gesserit Reverend Mothers have what they call their Mohalata, a union of their benign ancestors that protect them from malignant ancestors.
Where is the term Mohalata from? I don't remember it from my last read-through.

To be fair to what distrans wrote above, I do think there are indications in Messiah that Frank viewed bureaucracy as being the ultimate tyranny, and so there's an argument to be made that the OM referred to in CoD and GeoD saw male industrialists as being the peak of human despotism. There may have been malignant female ancestors, but for them to have been despots to a notable level they would have to have also had a system in place that was despotic. Hunter-gatherer societies most likely didn't have this kind of social machinery and so they were incapable of being despotic as a culture to the same extent that later human civilization could achieve.
"um-m-m-ah-h-h-hm-m-m-m!"
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

georgiedenbro wrote:
Freakzilla wrote: Bene Gesserit Reverend Mothers have what they call their Mohalata, a union of their benign ancestors that protect them from malignant ancestors.
Where is the term Mohalata from? I don't remember it from my last read-through.
It's first used in Children of Dune, Ghanima calls on it to protect her from Other Memory. It's used a couple of other times in that book as a Fremen term, not related to Other Memory. It's again used in Chapterhouse: Dune by Rebecca, Bellonda, and Murbella in reference to OM.
~Pink Snowman
distrans

Post by distrans »

its to easy to think of the spice trance as being the end of it
reading close it would seem more that it was a beginning of each mothers battle between other memories and the sisterhoods programming

from what i remember frank made it simple

the truth i find elsewhere...
georgiedenbro

Post by georgiedenbro »

distrans wrote:its to easy to think of the spice trance as being the end of it
reading close it would seem more that it was a beginning of each mothers battle between other memories and the sisterhoods programming
What Mothers' battle with the Sisterhood's programming? Where are you getting that idea from?
distrans

Post by distrans »

i thought it would be obvious other memories mean a sisters predominate memories would fall outside of sisterhood training
georgiedenbro

Post by georgiedenbro »

distrans wrote:i thought it would be obvious other memories mean a sisters predominate memories would fall outside of sisterhood training
Wrong. We learn in the last two books that anyone who gains access to their OM becomes automatically a BG. You have it backwards: the BG are not BG because of their training, which conflicts with the RM memories, but rather the BG are what they are because of the RM memories. That is the entire point of the BG order. This is why Paul and Leto II were such a revelation: they didn't realize that a male BG would have a distinctly different understanding than a female BG does. They assumed that, as usual, the awakened memories would make someone loyal to the BG, because they assumed they already knew what there was to know (they didn't).
distrans

Post by distrans »

georgiedenbro wrote:v

Wrong. We learn in the last two books that anyone who gains access to their OM becomes automatically a BG. loyal to the BG, because they .
distrans

Post by distrans »

georgiedenbro wrote:v

Wrong. We learn in the last two books that anyone who gains access to their OM becomes automatically a BG. loyal to the BG, because they .
i give it up im a fuck up here and there
but did you really just say that?

i dont find a word in the canon which speaks to such inherancy in those who survived the trance

not even the conditioned.
distrans

Post by distrans »

does jessica every explain her choice to accept the agony while pregnant?
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

distrans wrote: 13 May 2023 18:09 does jessica every explain her choice to accept the agony while pregnant?
I don't think she really had much of a choice.
~Pink Snowman