Axolotl Tanks.....what do you think?

Moderators: Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ, Omphalos

inhuien

Re: Axolotl Tanks.....what do you think?

Post by inhuien »

Hypathia?
lotek

Post by lotek »

isn't that the crazy admin of that dead Dune website that used to ban like... crazy ?
Or am I confused, again ?
Spice is the worm's gonads.
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

Yes, Arrakeen.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
inhuien

Post by inhuien »

ahh yes.
Kralizec

Post by Kralizec »

artistagent116 wrote:I've always wondered about the "revelation" in this book (Heretics of Dune) about the Axolotl Tanks being human women. Did anyone else go "Whoa!" when that was disclosed? All along, I figured the tanks were mechanical....not organic. The idea never entered my mind that the tanks were not some perhaps plasteel or plaz...liquid-filled...man-made vessel. Did I miss initial clues to the contrary? Could FH have had this purpose all along? Was he waiting for the latter part of the saga to expose this? Or did he one day decide to elaborate on the tanks for us, and create this shocking portrait? Or did I simply miss something?
I don't know at what point FH settled on the form of the Tleilaxu regime, but he had been thinking about aspects of their regime for years before he published Heretics of Dune. Hellstrom's Hive, published in the 1970s, is about a human city somewhat resembling an ant nest or bee hive. The Hive's rulers have developed technology resembling the axlotl tanks, which they call merely "stumps," inasmuch as only the trunk is kept and used. In Hellstrom's Hive, the "stumps" and their use are described much more clearly or "graphically" than in the Dune novels. Moreover, the Hive have a subordinate class that are chemically neutered. They make their way in the world partly by means of infiltrating ordinary human society with Hive members who retain loyalty to the Hive, but outwardly imitate the human beings among whom they live.

Another, related question is: Why did FH develop the Tleilaxu and Hive regimes? I think he was exploring questions as to the best life, whether for one man or for a polity. I think he thought our way of life has much to recommend it, but I think he was both serious and playful about exploring the strengths and weaknesses of alternatives.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

The Green Brain?
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Kralizec

Post by Kralizec »

Freakzilla wrote:The Green Brain?
Given the timing of your reply, you may have been replying to me, but since I haven't read that story, I can't make the connections. Is it interesting? What's it about? (I admit, the title has always seemed so cheesy, it's just put me off!)
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Kralizec wrote:
Freakzilla wrote:The Green Brain?
Given the timing of your reply, you may have been replying to me, but since I haven't read that story, I can't make the connections. Is it interesting? What's it about? (I admit, the title has always seemed so cheesy, it's just put me off!)
I'm sorry, wrong book. I was thinking of:

Hellstrom's Hive (1973) is a science fiction novel written by Frank Herbert. It is about a secret group of humans who model their lives upon social insects, and the unsettling events that unfold after they are discovered by a deeply undercover agency of the US government.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hellstrom%27s_Hive" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
~Pink Snowman
Kralizec

Re: Hellstrom's Hive

Post by Kralizec »

Freakzilla wrote:Hellstrom's Hive (1973) is a science fiction novel written by Frank Herbert. It is about a secret group of humans who model their lives upon social insects, and the unsettling events that unfold after they are discovered by a deeply undercover agency of the US government.
Well, yes, except that I think there are indications that the Agency is modeled on a non-governmental group with a Chief who has never been seen by anyone, a visible head who affects to be from a Kingdom elsewhere, members who do not have children, and a rumored, secluded playground to which the members are said to retire when their work on earth is done. :)
Jodorowsky's Acolyte

Post by Jodorowsky's Acolyte »

Back to the topic of the tanks. I take it that they still have their heads attached? Well, at least they do in the prequels, but we'll disqualify BH & KJA's descriptions for the moment. So I take it that they either combine hunks of flesh from the women to create a tank, or they just keep the body but remove maybe limbs and appendages? When the Axotl tanks are giving birth, are they in a sitting position, lying on their backs, or standing up? Or are they just hanging in the air from mechanical suspenders?

Either way, I do wander how they manage to keep the reproductive functions of the female body still functioning when it is mangled and perverted as it is by the Tleilaxu. :?:
'...all those who took part in the rise and fall of the Dune project learned how to fall one and one thousand times with savage obstinacy until learning how to stand. I remember my old father who, while dying happy, said to me: "My son, in my life, I triumphed because I learned how to fail."' -Alejandro Jodorowsky
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

I would think that they'd get rid of any appendage they could so that it didn't waste the body's energy and resources when all of it should go to growin' stuff.

I'm guessing no arms, no legs and a head that includes little more than a brain stem capable of directing the body's functions (I doubt they used machines to keep them alive or assist in any way). So that probably means that there was no need for eyes, ears or nose as well.
"If he was here to discuss Dune, he sure as hell picked a dumb way to do it." -Omphalos :character-cookiemonster:

Happy Memorial Day everyone! -James C. Harwood

"Three of my videos have over 100 views."
"Over 500 views for my 'Open Question' video." -Nebiros
inhuien

Post by inhuien »

Jodorowsky's Acolyte wrote:Back to the topic of the tanks. I take it that they still have their heads attached?
Either way, I do wander how they manage to keep the reproductive functions of the female body still functioning when it is mangled and perverted as it is by the Tleilaxu. :?:
Firstly. there's certainly no mention of the BG volunteers being decapitated, Secondly the BT have breed tanks for thousands of years, they don't modify a standard female. These fucker can breed beasts that can steal your memories a bit of replumbings not going to trouble them, tanks make tanks.
the rev

Post by the rev »

I was looking up some stuff about axolotl (axlotl?) tanks and remembered reading that the axolotl genome had been sequenced last year. Here's a link to an article about it.
All kinds of neat stuff. It's interesting that regeneration is an ancestral trait we've lost. Cancer and regeneration are very similar which isn't surprising. Now we need to figure out how to regenerate the brain. To contain the memories of our 'previous life'.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

I posted an article today to the Orthodoxed Herbertarian FB Group about human-animal hybrids...

https://www.thescienceandspace.com/2018 ... 1dM_bgixGQ

https://www.facebook.com/groups/Jacurutu/
~Pink Snowman
distrans

Post by distrans »

as I recall they had something like them in that book he wrote about the hive
helstroms

called em 'stumps' and it sounded like they didn't have heads or chests
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

distrans wrote:as I recall they had something like them in that book he wrote about the hive
helstroms

called em 'stumps' and it sounded like they didn't have heads or chests
Hellstrom's Hive
~Pink Snowman
the rev

Post by the rev »

as I recall they had something like them in that book he wrote about the hive
helstroms
Were they in Destination: Void and it's sequels, the ones with Bill Ransom? I seem to remember the clones being raised in them. Been a while since I've read those, now I have a reason to dig them up. Herbert used the same tech ideas throughout his books, it's always fun when something pops up and you get a bit more of a description of how it works.
I posted an article today to the Orthodoxed Herbertarian FB Group about human-animal hybrids...
The axolotl tank talk and this makes me want to listen to this..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F7aLXehSXAo
Serkanner
Administrator

Post by Serkanner »

the rev wrote:Were they in Destination: Void and it's sequels, the ones with Bill Ransom?
Yes they were.
"... the mystery of life isn't a problem to solve but a reality to experience."

“There is no escape—we pay for the violence of our ancestors.”

Sandrider: "Keith went to Bobo's for a weekend of drinking, watched some DVDs,
and wrote a Dune Novel."
distrans

Post by distrans »

in hive they had bare description.
limbless bodies on tables fed by tubes

headless wasnt said but infered...