New to the community

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

jihacked

New to the community

Post by jihacked »

Hey everyone! I’ve been lurking on this site for a bit and figured I would make my presence known.

About a decade ago I read Dune in high school – and must say I don’t think I was quite ready for it back then. Then earlier this year I reread the original Dune, followed by Dune Messiah and Children of Dune which I just finished a couple weeks ago. I am now completely hooked on Frank Herbert’s work. (Does that make me a Herbertarian?) The man crafted something truly mind-blowing, a genuine work of art. I have been absolutely revelling in his world-building and philosophizing, and I intend to finish all six of his original Dune books and reread them all within the near future.

I am quite enjoying God Emperor of Dune so far (about 150 pages in), but it's different, and leaves me feeling nostalgic for the earlier books. Children of Dune was a bit slow to start but the third act left me in awe, to the point that so far I might even consider it a personal high point of the series so far.

One last thing—

I’m looking for maps of Arrakis which depict the world after the first book, and especially ones which depict the layout of Arrakis (or parts of Arrakis) in God Emperor of Dune. Could anyone point me in the right direction for these, if they exist?

Bless the Maker and His water. Bless the coming and going of Him.
Peace demands solutions, but we never reach living solutions; we only work toward them. A fixed solution is, by definition, a dead solution. The trouble with peace is that it tends to punish mistakes instead of rewarding brilliance.
Serkanner
Administrator

Re: New to the community

Post by Serkanner »

Welcome Home!
"... the mystery of life isn't a problem to solve but a reality to experience."

“There is no escape—we pay for the violence of our ancestors.”

Sandrider: "Keith went to Bobo's for a weekend of drinking, watched some DVDs,
and wrote a Dune Novel."
georgiedenbro

Post by georgiedenbro »

Hello!

And don't be alarmed by GEoD's change in tone, it's very deliberate and in a way you are supposed to be nostalgic for the earlier books, thematically speaking.
"um-m-m-ah-h-h-hm-m-m-m!"
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

:text-welcomeconfetti: :text-welcomeconfetti:

Reading Group: God Emperor of Dune

viewforum.php?f=10

(Sort by subject ascending)
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

I've never seen a map of post transformation Arrakis
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman