Password leak/Security problems?

Moderators: Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ, Omphalos

SadisticCynic

Password leak/Security problems?

Post by SadisticCynic »

HI guys,

I noticed in my junk email folder (for the address I use here) that a scam email talked about knowing my passwords. In particular the password it mentioned was actually the password I use here. I've changed it, but I then noticed that when trying to log in here my browser (Safari) tells me the site is not secure.

I've noticed the same over at TAU. Just to let people know, and to see if it's happening to anyone else.
Ah English, the language where pretty much any word can have any meaning! - A Thing of Eternity
georgiedenbro

Re: Password leak/Security problems?

Post by georgiedenbro »

This is a well-known scam (by law enforcement) and although changing your pw was a good idea, I would feel free to not worry about it. I believe the idea is to scare people into paying money but there is no follow-up.
"um-m-m-ah-h-h-hm-m-m-m!"
SadisticCynic

Re: Password leak/Security problems?

Post by SadisticCynic »

georgiedenbro wrote:This is a well-known scam (by law enforcement) and although changing your pw was a good idea, I would feel free to not worry about it. I believe the idea is to scare people into paying money but there is no follow-up.
Sure, I'm not worried. The point is that the password was actually correct, so they didn't just happen across my email address and send the scam email there but actually had data from here. At least, I don't think I've used that password elsewhere...
Ah English, the language where pretty much any word can have any meaning! - A Thing of Eternity