Funcom Delves into the DUNE Universe with Gaming Deal

Moderators: Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ, Omphalos

Redstar

Funcom Delves into the DUNE Universe with Gaming Deal

Post by Redstar »

OSLO, Norway - February 26th 2019 - Legendary Entertainment and Herbert Properties LLC have reached a licensing agreement with Funcom to develop video games based on the works of Frank Herbert’s DUNE, one of the world’s best-known science fiction universes.

The announcement comes as Legendary gears up for its already highly anticipated film adaptation of DUNE, directed by critically acclaimed filmmaker Denis Villeneuve, and featuring an all-star cast that now includes Timothée Chalamet, Rebecca Ferguson, Josh Brolin, Dave Bautista Stellan Skarsgård, Charlotte Rampling, Jason Momoa and Javier Bardem.

Development will begin in Funcom’s Oslo studio later this year.

"Funcom has a strong history of working with beloved sci-fi/fantasy intellectual properties including our bestsellers Age of Conan and Conan Exiles," said Funcom CEO, Rui Casais. "So many of us at Funcom, myself included, are huge fans of Frank Herbert's work and we are thrilled to have the opportunity to collaborate with Legendary to bring the iconic DUNE universe to life for gamers all over the globe."
Funcom Delves into the DUNE Universe with a Gaming Deal with Legendary Entertainment and Herbert Properties LLC
Naib

Re: Funcom Delves into the DUNE Universe with Gaming Deal

Post by Naib »

Glad to see some development in this area. My secret wish is that they'd make the Avalon Hill Dune boardgame for online play.
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

Has anyone played any of this company's games? I've heard mixed reviews.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Naib

Post by Naib »

I played Age of Conan for a while. It was fun in the beginning but like all those MMOs they get quite repetitive and even though you start out as a single class in the beginning, by the end everyone is a super-wizard-fighter-priest. Also they have gone heavily into the microtransaction field to make money. If you play for free you are very restricted in what you can do.

This is why the announcement that the first game will be an MMO set on Arrakis is rather disappointing. As much as I want to ride a sandworm I don't want to have to insert a coin in its head every kilometre or so to keep it moving.
Cpt. Aramsham

Post by Cpt. Aramsham »

Funcom made the well-regarded adventure games The Longest Journey and Dreamfall (although the designer behind those two titles has left the company), and more recently the first-person horror adventure The Park, so it's conceivable that one of the Dune titles could be in that genre, like the Cryo game.
BountyHunter

Post by BountyHunter »

I would like to see a Knights of the Old Republic/Dragon Age type RPG game come out for Dune!!