wish i could remember the name of this short story

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

distrans

wish i could remember the name of this short story

Post by distrans »

and I think it was a short in a collection

had to do with a gum shoe detective who found something odd about a business front he walked into on a case. led him to surveil the premises which led to him discovering a alien installation which managed to disappear under his scrutiny. he never managed to determine what they were doing but they had a teleportation device and were moving tanks of mystery substance around and when he got the cops to tear into the wall they found buried in the plaster a mysterious gridwork of wiring that couldn't be explained

its among a short list of works ive found outstanding over the years and id really like to read it again

it ranks right up there will herberts work and the short list of others I find equally compelling

heinleins 'the unpleasant profession of johnaton hoague"
gibsons 'the belonging kind'
stirlings 'the swarm'

oh!

two others,

a story which start out with an undersea probe describing itselfs being subject to an avalanche in first person. its opperators come in as they respond in what limited way theyre allowed and one of them speculating if they themselves were remote opperatives of 'something' else. the story ending with their opperators commenting on their humans almost realized the truth and finding it a close call

ive vague memories of another story about a situation where hypnosis revealed external control of a human that i want to say was a herbert short
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Re: wish i could remember the name of this short story

Post by Omphalos »

Two of those sound like Herbert stories, but I'll let you look.

http://www.omphalosbookreviews.com/inde ... herbert/NA

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
distrans

Re: wish i could remember the name of this short story

Post by distrans »

thanks!

that nails one of them down. the first one is called 'rat race' and is a Herbert work from 55'