Director Denis Villeneuve hopes to make Dune movie Read more

Moderators: Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ, Omphalos

Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Re: Director Denis Villeneuve hopes to make Dune movie Read

Post by Freakzilla »

The fucker has the nerve to call his twiter account @DuneAuthor. :puke:
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Naib

Post by Naib »

Freakzilla wrote:
The fucker has the nerve to call his twiter account @DuneAuthor. :puke:
Yeah, it's pretty fucking galling. It should be @ShitDuneHack.
georgiedenbro

Post by georgiedenbro »

http://www.indiewire.com/2018/03/denis- ... 201937538/

Seems at least two films will be required to tell this story, which is a good-sounding start. No word on casting yet.

I've changed my mind on the Leto casting, and now I hope that Kyle MacLachlan takes up that role.
"um-m-m-ah-h-h-hm-m-m-m!"
Cpt. Aramsham

Post by Cpt. Aramsham »

I wouldn't worry about Brian Herbert (whose Twitter handle is in equal parts a direct insult to fans and the sign of a pathetic daddy complex) or Kevin J. Anderson being named producers or giving notes on the script. That's typical courtesy extended to the rights holders, and it doesn't mean anybody pays much attention to their input. Pretending that they have influence on the film is usually just a way to placate them and ensure they don't badmouth the movie to the press when it comes out; the actual product is in the hands of the filmmakers.

I think two or three films is exactly the right way to do Dune (there's no way it would work as a TV series), so this latest is very good news!
Naib

Post by Naib »

Cpt. Aramsham wrote:I wouldn't worry about Brian Herbert (whose Twitter handle is in equal parts a direct insult to fans and the sign of a pathetic daddy complex) or Kevin J. Anderson being named producers or giving notes on the script. That's typical courtesy extended to the rights holders, and it doesn't mean anybody pays much attention to their input. Pretending that they have influence on the film is usually just a way to placate them and ensure they don't badmouth the movie to the press when it comes out; the actual product is in the hands of the filmmakers.

I think two or three films is exactly the right way to do Dune (there's no way it would work as a TV series), so this latest is very good news!

I like your optimism, but I would sincerely like to read that Villeneuve or Roth (or both) have been quoted telling the Duo to 'do one'.
Serkanner
Administrator

Post by Serkanner »

Cpt. Aramsham wrote:I wouldn't worry about Brian Herbert (whose Twitter handle is in equal parts a direct insult to fans and the sign of a pathetic daddy complex) or Kevin J. Anderson being named producers or giving notes on the script. That's typical courtesy extended to the rights holders, and it doesn't mean anybody pays much attention to their input. Pretending that they have influence on the film is usually just a way to placate them and ensure they don't badmouth the movie to the press when it comes out; the actual product is in the hands of the filmmakers.

I don't share your optimism. I want to see before believing.
"... the mystery of life isn't a problem to solve but a reality to experience."

“There is no escape—we pay for the violence of our ancestors.”

Sandrider: "Keith went to Bobo's for a weekend of drinking, watched some DVDs,
and wrote a Dune Novel."
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

georgiedenbro wrote:http://www.indiewire.com/2018/03/denis- ... 201937538/

Seems at least two films will be required to tell this story, which is a good-sounding start. No word on casting yet.

I've changed my mind on the Leto casting, and now I hope that Kyle MacLachlan takes up that role.
I don't think that he has the same gravitas that he had as a younger man. Might create a feeling of nostalgia to see him play his "dad," but I would probably be happier with someone else.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
Naib

Post by Naib »

Omphalos wrote:
georgiedenbro wrote:http://www.indiewire.com/2018/03/denis- ... 201937538/

I don't think that he has the same gravitas that he had as a younger man. Might create a feeling of nostalgia to see him play his "dad," but I would probably be happier with someone else.
Agreed. I would avoid casting anyone from the film or the miniseries'. For Leto I would prefer someone like Ralph Fiennes or Sean Bean.
georgiedenbro

Post by georgiedenbro »

I definitely think Leto needs an actor who can be both fierce and sympathetic. Sean Bean is the latter, but I don't think I've ever really seen a killer in him. For similar reasons I really disliked William Hurt's portrayal of Leto. Pruchow was an awesome choice for him in Lynch's film. I'm not sure I've seen MacLachlan do anything recently so maybe Omph is right about that. Jeremy Irons is more the kind of actor I could see, who can be both menacing/angry and also loving. I don't think I'd want him in particular but that kind of actor.
Naib

Post by Naib »

georgiedenbro wrote:I definitely think Leto needs an actor who can be both fierce and sympathetic. Sean Bean is the latter, but I don't think I've ever really seen a killer in him. For similar reasons I really disliked William Hurt's portrayal of Leto. Pruchow was an awesome choice for him in Lynch's film. I'm not sure I've seen MacLachlan do anything recently so maybe Omph is right about that. Jeremy Irons is more the kind of actor I could see, who can be both menacing/angry and also loving. I don't think I'd want him in particular but that kind of actor.
If you have the chance watch Bean as Richard Sharpe. He's a proper bastard and killer in those.

There is going to be a lot of speculation and comments about who should play what, but if Villeneuve is going to do this, then I hope he isn't afraid to get the best actors he can, regardless of what they've done previously. I have my ideas, but they may not be the best for the story as a whole.
Naib

Re: Director Denis Villeneuve hopes to make Dune movie Read more

Post by Naib »

Villeneuve's adaptation is to be two films. I just hope he films them both at the same time and not wait for the returns on the first to dictate if the second one is to be done.

https://www.flickeringmyth.com/2018/05/ ... two-films/
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

I read that it was going to be filmed separately.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
SadisticCynic

Post by SadisticCynic »

In the corresponding reddit thread someone claims Villeneuve wanted to film all at once but box office fears put an end to that. There's no source given though.

https://www.reddit.com/r/movies/comment ... ne/dzk5bmn

Prisoners, Arrival and Blade Runner 2049 were all amazing, and BR2049 was my favourite film of 2017, so I have a lot of faith in Our Lord and Saviour Villeneuve.
Ah English, the language where pretty much any word can have any meaning! - A Thing of Eternity
WolfgangMercury

Post by WolfgangMercury »

I was really worried and galled when saw the post about the Dynamic Duo giving Villeneuve their opinions. I'm not sure how worried I should be. Does anyone know how much input producers traditionally get in Hollywood?
"We've lost that clear, single-note of living. If it cannot be bottled, beaten, pointed or hoarded, we give it no value."

Emperor Muad'dib, Dune Messiah
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

SadisticCynic wrote:In the corresponding reddit thread someone claims Villeneuve wanted to film all at once but box office fears put an end to that. There's no source given though.

Prisoners, Arrival and Blade Runner 2049 were all amazing, and BR2049 was my favourite film of 2017, so I have a lot of faith in Our Lord and Saviour Villeneuve.
I like his flicks too. I thought that Blade Runner 2049 was amazing. I think that he really did do a great job of robbing the elements that Scott ignored when he adapted the book originally.

Arrival differed from the story enough to bother me (its one of my favorite stories), but I though the film was good. But he changed the facts just enough to turn it into a more forward-looking piece, instead of the nostalgia and regret-infused masterpiece the short story was.

I am so on the fence with Dune. I don't expect rain-in-the-desert. But IMHO it will not take much to ruin it. It really is the kind of book that deserves the best that there is, with little to no fucking around. Not sure anyone can do it justice.

Goodnight Golden Path!
georgiedenbro

Post by georgiedenbro »

I'm not quite so hung up on him getting every little detail perfect, and more concerned about the themes of the book coming through. Will the audience be able to see the film and come out realizing that Paul has failed in the end? Will they get the sense that Paul isn't just manipulating them, but they're manipulating him? Will we get any sense of the ecological angle, wherein a people and their environment are connected and the one doesn't just control the other?

Given the current political climate I can at least foresee that the spice=oil angle will be a prime target if Villeneuve wants to make a timely message about international affairs. Whether he goes there (or should) I have no idea.
SadisticCynic

Post by SadisticCynic »

Omphalos wrote:
SadisticCynic wrote:In the corresponding reddit thread someone claims Villeneuve wanted to film all at once but box office fears put an end to that. There's no source given though.

I like his flicks too. I thought that Blade Runner 2049 was amazing. I think that he really did do a great job of robbing the elements that Scott ignored when he adapted the book originally.

Arrival differed from the story enough to bother me (its one of my favorite stories), but I though the film was good. But he changed the facts just enough to turn it into a more forward-looking piece, instead of the nostalgia and regret-infused masterpiece the short story was.

I am so on the fence with Dune. I don't expect rain-in-the-desert. But IMHO it will not take much to ruin it. It really is the kind of book that deserves the best that there is, with little to no fucking around. Not sure anyone can do it justice.
I haven't yet read Chiang's short story, so I had nothing to compare with for Arrival. By the time I do get to it I imagine I will have forgotten enough of the film to see it with fresh eyes.

I suspect it will be too easy for Dune purists to be upset with whatever kind of film comes out. Like some attitudes to The Lord of the Rings films or even the recent Star Wars The Last Jedi. I think the key seems to be to absolutely not expect a direct retelling of the story, but an adaptation of it. Then it's a matter of deciding whether or not you can accept the adaptation.
Ah English, the language where pretty much any word can have any meaning! - A Thing of Eternity
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

I was just thinking last night what I need to do is re-read the short story, then re-watch the movie. Didn't do a re-read before I saw Arrival on video.

Goodnight Golden Path!
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

I've tried to watch Arrival several times, still don't get it. BR, I watched it a few times and to tell the truth the original wasn't that good except for the art. It could have been anything.

Bi la kaifa
~Pink Snowman
Naib

Post by Naib »

SadisticCynic wrote:
Omphalos wrote:

I haven't yet read Chiang's short story, so I had nothing to compare with for Arrival. By the time I do get to it I imagine I will have forgotten enough of the film to see it with fresh eyes.

I suspect it will be too easy for Dune purists to be upset with whatever kind of film comes out. Like some attitudes to The Lord of the Rings films or even the recent Star Wars The Last Jedi. I think the key seems to be to absolutely not expect a direct retelling of the story, but an adaptation of it. Then it's a matter of deciding whether or not you can accept the adaptation.
I can accept an adaptation (I think), but what I can't accept is the needless messing with the core plot in order to wedge in ideas from the dribbling duo. It's probably my biggest fear that the studio is listening to them as they scream the word FRANCHISE at the top of their lungs. If they stick to making Dune we could be in with a chance. If they are intent on making a Dune franchise, we're sunk before they start.
Cpt. Aramsham

Post by Cpt. Aramsham »

Surprised that no one has posted about the casting of Timothée Chalamet as Paul in Villeneuve's movie.

Chalamet is 22 (two years younger than MacLachlan when filming Lynch's Dune), French-American born in New York, and known from roles in Homeland (as the Veep's kid who dates Dana and kills someone in a hit-and-run), Interstellar (as McConaughey's son, Tom), Lady Bird and Call Me By Your Name (for which he got an Oscar nomination).

Seems like a good choice, no?
Naib

Post by Naib »

Cpt. Aramsham wrote:Surprised that no one has posted about the casting of Timothée Chalamet as Paul in Villeneuve's movie.

Chalamet is 22 (two years younger than MacLachlan when filming Lynch's Dune), French-American born in New York, and known from roles in Homeland (as the Veep's kid who dates Dana and kills someone in a hit-and-run), Interstellar (as McConaughey's son, Tom), Lady Bird and Call Me By Your Name (for which he got an Oscar nomination).

Seems like a good choice, no?
He looks the part and he can act it seems. I'll reserve any judgements until we see about the rest of the core cast.
georgiedenbro

Post by georgiedenbro »

I just read that Stellan Skarsgard will be playing the Baron in the upcoming Dune film. He's a good actor, I suppose, but I have to wonder what motivated this choice. He has a relatively high voice, and unless they digitally modify this we won't have a basso Baron. And of course there's the weight issue but I suppose that's the easiest matter to remedy with either prosthetics or CGI. But perhaps most troubling is that, looking through his IMDB, I don't really see any signs that he's proved himself playing dark, scary, or otherwise horrifying characters. He seems more like the guy next door type. So I'm a bit bummed about this choice.
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

He can pull off dark and fucked up. Some of his Swedish language stuff is on Netflix. He does it pretty well. I think that he is a really versatile actor and could probably do a good job with this. Its the rest of the actors around him I have concerns with. I think that the director is going to have a hard time getting some of those folks into the right mindset.

Goodnight Golden Path!
Redstar

Post by Redstar »

Villeneuve has tapped his frequent collaborator Joe Walker as editor.

Says Walker: "I was deeply familiar with 'Arrival' and 'Blade Runner' before they were made, sitting next to Denis in the cutting room when he formulated them, but, on this one, I’ve rather enjoyed being kept in the dark."

Denis Villeneuve Reunites With ‘Arrival’ and ‘Blade Runner 2049’ Editor Joe Walker for ‘Dune’

Also, Dave Bautista has been cast in an unspecified (though rumored Beast Rabban) role.

Dave Bautista Joins Legendary’s ‘Dune’ Reboot (EXCLUSIVE)