Movies you have watched recently

Moderators: Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ, Omphalos

Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Re: Movies you have watched recently

Post by Omphalos »

Eyes High wrote:Hacksaw Ridge was the last movie I saw in the theater. I know they condensed the timeline for the movie but still...a stirring story.
I keep hearing this, and I am glad you liked it, dear, dear Eyes. But Mel Gibson can kiss my fucking fat ass, right in the middle where that particular part of me kisses him back.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
SadisticCynic

Post by SadisticCynic »

Watched Trainspotting (for the first time!) over the weekend before seeing the sequel on Monday. So good!
Ah English, the language where pretty much any word can have any meaning! - A Thing of Eternity
Eyes High
Patience Personified

Post by Eyes High »

Omphalos wrote:
Eyes High wrote:Hacksaw Ridge was the last movie I saw in the theater. I know they condensed the timeline for the movie but still...a stirring story.
I keep hearing this, and I am glad you liked it, dear, dear Eyes. But Mel Gibson can kiss my fucking fat ass, right in the middle where that particular part of me kisses him back.
Don't hold it in sweetie... How do you really feel about him. :lol: :whistle:

Hoping to see 'Collateral Beauty', 'Passengers', and 'DoctorStrange' next. All three are at the second run theater now. So we should be able to swing it .
What fear is there in the night?
Nothing, but that which is in our own imaginations.
inhuien

Post by inhuien »

Good old Contact, still get shivers when they find the signal for the 1st time.
Eyes High
Patience Personified

Post by Eyes High »

Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them. (We will be buying this one when it comes out on DVD. I want to see what the deleted scenes are. I've a feeling they will cover some things that I thought the movie skipped over a little. Still, I will be Looking forward to seeing what the sequels will have.)

The extended versions of: The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey, The Hobbit: Desolation of Smaug, and The Hobbit: Battle of Five Armies.
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

I have heard that someone condensed the three Hobbit movies into a single, good one. I want to see that.

Goodnight Golden Path!
inhuien

Post by inhuien »

https://ifdb.fanedit.org/j-r-r-tolkiens ... ilms-edit/

Perhaps?

Edit to add: download from here, I've not tested any version yet.

http://www.maple-films.com/downloads.html
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Ill take a look at these. Thanks, man!

Goodnight Golden Path!
Eyes High
Patience Personified

Post by Eyes High »

Omphalos wrote:I have heard that someone condensed the three Hobbit movies into a single, good one. I want to see that.
I'll have to mention this to Jesse. He loves the books
inhuien

Post by inhuien »

Eyes High wrote:
Omphalos wrote:I have heard that someone condensed the three Hobbit movies into a single, good one. I want to see that.
I'll have to mention this to Jesse. He loves the books
I'm downloading it atm via torrent from their site, but there's like 2 seeders n 500+ leachers. I've upped 3gb but only downed 1.1 in 30 hours. The direct link to their g drive on the sites broken. My thoughts are if I can get it, it's 10gb, I can up it to my own g drive n share the link, doesn't help that I'm using a phone (well maybe not) due to no PC.

I'll keep y'all in t loop. :)
SadisticCynic

Post by SadisticCynic »

Got a chance to watch Dredd (2012) at a cinema tonight. Pretty great, maybe I should put one of the comics on my list.
Ah English, the language where pretty much any word can have any meaning! - A Thing of Eternity
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

SadisticCynic wrote:Got a chance to watch Dredd (2012) at a cinema tonight. Pretty great, maybe I should put one of the comics on my list.
It has been a while since I saw this movie, but I liked it too. Far and away better than that Stallone shit-fest from years ago. that crap totally turned me off of Judge Dredd.

Goodnight Golden Path!
Naib

Post by Naib »

SadisticCynic wrote:Got a chance to watch Dredd (2012) at a cinema tonight. Pretty great, maybe I should put one of the comics on my list.
Brilliant rendition of Judge Dredd tonally, but due to budget constraints they had to alter the look of MC1. If you do decide to read the comic, be sure to read the original 2000AD progs or collections. The Judge Dredd complete case files are an excellent way to read the old stories.

And in case you missed it there is a television series in development now. Judge Dredd: Mega-City One.

http://megacityone.com/

http://2000ad.com/post/1788
SadisticCynic

Post by SadisticCynic »

Naib wrote:
Brilliant rendition of Judge Dredd tonally, but due to budget constraints they had to alter the look of MC1. If you do decide to read the comic, be sure to read the original 2000AD progs or collections. The Judge Dredd complete case files are an excellent way to read the old stories.

And in case you missed it there is a television series in development now. Judge Dredd: Mega-City One.

http://megacityone.com/

http://2000ad.com/post/1788
Oh, I didn't hear about the series! Neat.

I had a look at the Case Files; at least 29 volumes! :shock: That would be a lot to work through.

I watched an Italian film called La Strada recently. It was actually pretty great, and is from the director of a film called La Dolce Vita. Apparently this one is famous, but I've never seen it.

Also watched the new Pirates of the Caribbean and Alien movies. Both decent enough films, but they don't really live up to original stories. Salazar's Revenge more so than Covenant in my opinion, although it's been so long since I saw the original Alien film I probably don't notice some of the things others might pick up on.
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

My brother, Ragabash, told me that the new Alien movie sucked. I am going to watch it nonetheless. But I will say that the advertisements make it look like a complete retread of the original movie.

Goodnight Golden Path!
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

[quote="SadisticCynic]I had a look at the Case Files; at least 29 volumes! :shock: That would be a lot to work through.[/quote]

29 volumes of Judge Dredd? I'll wait for the reviews, thanks.

Goodnight Golden Path!
SadisticCynic

Post by SadisticCynic »

Omphalos wrote:My brother, Ragabash, told me that the new Alien movie sucked. I am going to watch it nonetheless. But I will say that the advertisements make it look like a complete retread of the original movie.
If you didn't like Prometheus, I imagine you won't like Covenant.
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

SadisticCynic wrote:
Omphalos wrote:My brother, Ragabash, told me that the new Alien movie sucked. I am going to watch it nonetheless. But I will say that the advertisements make it look like a complete retread of the original movie.
I am going to see it. I enjoyed Prometheus enough; I though it was a little weak overall, but it was not bad.

I bought Almost Famous on iTunes this weekend. Forgot how much I loved that movie. Plus it was only $4.99.

Goodnight Golden Path!
WolfgangMercury

Post by WolfgangMercury »

SadisticCynic wrote:

Covenant could have been great. I just wish that they'd explored David's character a bit more, made his motivations more realistic. It ended up feeling a bit cheesy. Still an entertaining movie.
"We've lost that clear, single-note of living. If it cannot be bottled, beaten, pointed or hoarded, we give it no value."

Emperor Muad'dib, Dune Messiah
SadisticCynic

Post by SadisticCynic »

Watched The Red Turtle, produced by Ghibli and Wild Bunch (a French company I believe).

Pretty awesome. There is absolutely no dialogue, leaving all the room for music and environment noises, which are very loud and distinct in the mix. Almost more an experience for the ears than the eyes.
SadisticCynic

Post by SadisticCynic »

Watched Event Horizon for the first time, and got to see it at a (small) cinema. Nice place, all the seats are beanbags!

I think I only know Sam Neil from Jurassic Park. Pretty weird seeing him in that context.
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

SadisticCynic wrote:Watched Event Horizon for the first time, and got to see it at a (small) cinema. Nice place, all the seats are beanbags!

I think I only know Sam Neil from Jurassic Park. Pretty weird seeing him in that context.
I think that could have been a much better movie but ended up just being a horror movie in a science fiction setting.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Freakzilla wrote:
SadisticCynic wrote:Watched Event Horizon for the first time, and got to see it at a (small) cinema. Nice place, all the seats are beanbags!

I think that could have been a much better movie but ended up just being a horror movie in a science fiction setting.
Word. I got really disappointed when Freddy Krueger showed up.

Goodnight Golden Path!
georgiedenbro

Post by georgiedenbro »

I read some interesting fan speculation that Event Horizon's story seems to accord entirely with the setting of Warhammer 40k, of all things. Apparently in that universe when one goes into hyperspace without proper shielding one becomes vulnerable to a race that hangs out there which are sort of demonic. Some Warhammer fans consider Event Horizon to be an unofficial prequel to their setting. I'm not a Warhammer person at all, but found the speculations interesting.

For my part I was both a horror and sci-fi fan in high school so this movie always hit a certain perfect note of being a cool blend between the two. Offhand I would have preferred more sci-fi out of it, but I agree that it's definitely written as a horror story. It's a bit of a tease since the premise is cool enough that it would have been more than full enough without any horror at all to fill out the feature as a sci-fi thriller about a salvage operation. Or at least maybe they could have kept the horror aspects but focused on why it was happening more so than trying to scare us and gross us out. I still love the movie but it is what it is. It's one of the ones that I would always rewatch but would be hesitant to recommend to anyone.
"um-m-m-ah-h-h-hm-m-m-m!"
SadisticCynic

Post by SadisticCynic »

georgiedenbro wrote:I read some interesting fan speculation that Event Horizon's story seems to accord entirely with the setting of Warhammer 40k, of all things. Apparently in that universe when one goes into hyperspace without proper shielding one becomes vulnerable to a race that hangs out there which are sort of demonic. Some Warhammer fans consider Event Horizon to be an unofficial prequel to their setting. I'm not a Warhammer person at all, but found the speculations interesting.

For my part I was both a horror and sci-fi fan in high school so this movie always hit a certain perfect note of being a cool blend between the two. Offhand I would have preferred more sci-fi out of it, but I agree that it's definitely written as a horror story. It's a bit of a tease since the premise is cool enough that it would have been more than full enough without any horror at all to fill out the feature as a sci-fi thriller about a salvage operation. Or at least maybe they could have kept the horror aspects but focused on why it was happening more so than trying to scare us and gross us out. I still love the movie but it is what it is. It's one of the ones that I would always rewatch but would be hesitant to recommend to anyone.
Have you been following Neil Blomkamp's Oats Studios on YouTube? They have a few sort of sic-fi horror short films out. I quite like them, especially the latest, Zygote.

https://www.youtube.com/user/OatsStudios