What are you reading?

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Re: What are you reading?

Post by Freakzilla »

I just finished The Godmakers by FH. I thought I'd read it before but apparently not. I really enjoyed it until the end, WTF?
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

I just finished The Heaven Makers, meh. I did note a similarity between the Chem's Tiggywaugh's web and the Net in Dune. :think:
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Robspierre

Post by Robspierre »

Women of Futures Past: Collection of short stories from women science fiction authors, well known and not so well known. Excellent, I highly recommend it.

Princess Diarist Carrie Fisher. Interesting read, I do enjoy her voice and musings.

Just received copies of:
Wishful Drinking and Shockaholic by Carrie Fisher.

Rob
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

I think I read Women of Futures Past a long time ago. Its an old anthology, right Rob?

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
Robspierre

Post by Robspierre »

Omphalos wrote:I think I read Women of Futures Past a long time ago. Its an old anthology, right Rob?
Not at all, was just recently published by Baen books, late summer, and edited by Kristine Kathryn Rusch, there is even a website http://www.womeninsciencefiction.com

Rob
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Robspierre wrote:
Omphalos wrote:I think I read Women of Futures Past a long time ago. Its an old anthology, right Rob?
Not at all, was just recently published by Baen books, late summer, and edited by Kristine Kathryn Rusch, there is even a website http://www.womeninsciencefiction.com

Rob
Thanks Rob. Looks interesting. But because I am never one to let an issue go, Rusch is a pretty big KJA groper. So's her husband. So fuck her.

Goodnight Golden Path!
SadisticCynic

Post by SadisticCynic »

Read Lolita by Nabokov. That was great but disturbing...

Also finished No Country For Old Men. I think this might be a rare case of enjoying the movie more than the book. Mostly because the movie was basically scene for scene the book. At least I didn't have to struggle with that accent! :P

Now I'm on a collection by Asimov called The Bicentennial Man. Found it at a bookstore clear out along with a few others that I'll get around to someday. I've actually never read any Asimov before, so this is a nice opportunity.
Ah English, the language where pretty much any word can have any meaning! - A Thing of Eternity
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

SadisticCynic wrote:Read Lolita by Nabokov. That was great but disturbing...

Also finished No Country For Old Men. I think this might be a rare case of enjoying the movie more than the book. Mostly because the movie was basically scene for scene the book. At least I didn't have to struggle with that accent! :P

Now I'm on a collection by Asimov called The Bicentennial Man. Found it at a bookstore clear out along with a few others that I'll get around to someday. I've actually never read any Asimov before, so this is a nice opportunity.
I have a love/hate relationship with Asimov. He sounds really uptight when he writes, but his ideas are really great. You should give Foundation a try when you have time. You will see the genesis of some of Herbert's ideas in that work.

(Warning: Spoilers Abound!): http://www.omphalosbookreviews.com/inde ... ws/info/40

Goodnight Golden Path!
Sandwurm88
Not Soleman

Post by Sandwurm88 »

Been reading a lot of non-SF for graduate school, so unfortunately no time for pleasure reading... Wide Sargasso Sea by Jean Rhys is on the agenda right now --it's okay, but basically nonstop misery so far in terms of plot, which can get tiring after a while.
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Graduate school?!?! :shock:

Holy crap! I remember when you were in fucking high school!

These sites sure have been around for a while.

Goodnight Golden Path!
Sandwurm88
Not Soleman

Post by Sandwurm88 »

Haha, indeed.

I joined DN in 2006 (I think it was July?), when I was 12!

EDIT: And by the way --I really am not Sole Man! I had the screen name Sandwurm88 at DN long before he showed up. Same age I guess, but he lived in Georgia, and I live in NYC. I think someone tried to check my IP address at some point, but nothing came of it. Just thought I'd re-emphasize that, seeing my "title" or w/e is still Sole Man...
inhuien

Post by inhuien »

Sandwurm88 wrote:Haha, indeed.

EDIT: And by the way --I really am not Sole Man! I had the screen name Sandwurm88 at DN long before he showed up. Same age I guess, but he lived in Georgia, and I live in NYC. I think someone tried to check my IP address at some point, but nothing came of it. Just thought I'd re-emphasize that, seeing my "title" or w/e is still Sole Man...
You have a point. Admins?!?
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

inhuien wrote:

You have a point. Admins?!?
I think it was Omph that gave that nickname. I don't know if he's the same person but he's been well behaved as long as I can remember.
~Pink Snowman
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

You're not Nicholas Daudeh (that was Soley's name)?

I thought you were. I just thought your nuts dropped and you started behaving properly.

Boy! Wonder if Soley is still alive! Bet he voted for Trump.

Goodnight Golden Path!
Sandwurm88
Not Soleman

Post by Sandwurm88 »

Nope, that's the first time I'm seeing that name.

I believe there was a time when our posting overlapped a bit, I think on DN, rather than here. He was a much worse speller than I've ever been (although I'm sure I had a few garbled posts here and there) --and I remember him talking about his girlfriend dying or something, and often flipping out at people like chanilover and SandChigger. I think when I mentioned I was the same age as him in a thread that he was posting in, agreeing with him on something or other, and people just assumed I was a ghostie account of his from that point onward.

I think I got banned or Freak-banned from DN at some point, so I can't log in to check the user list, but I do remember a lot of the old stuff. In terms of posters, here's some I remember who kinda disappeared: Konman72, Tyrant, The Almighty Zeus, Poey, JediWise, Tleilax Master B, bymywillalone, Jehuty, guild navigator, all the people at the old Arrakeen (orald, Hypatia when everyone didn't hate her), Crysknife, chanilover, arnoldo. Would be interesting to see the old DN archives, but from what gather, Byron's deleted a lot of shit!

And to get back on topic, I'm currently reading Marcus Aurelius's Meditations. Great stuff!
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

You have been assigned a new rank. You're welcome. :D
~Pink Snowman
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

How many shit McDune books are there now?

I've read nothing but non-fiction for the last two years or so now—when I've read anything at all—and have a dirty little urge to read some really poorly written trash. Have they done with fucking Frank's largely liquified corpse yet... or is there still more to come?

What have I missed? :twisted:
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
SadisticCynic

Post by SadisticCynic »

:shock:

You're still alive!

SR's gonna have a heart attack when he sees this post...

(Welcome back! :) )
Ah English, the language where pretty much any word can have any meaning! - A Thing of Eternity
Eyes High
Patience Personified

Post by Eyes High »

Is it true???? Can this be little Chig back from the desert? :confusion-scratchheadblue:
What fear is there in the night?
Nothing, but that which is in our own imaginations.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Maybe... ;)
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
Eyes High
Patience Personified

Post by Eyes High »

SandChigger wrote:Maybe... ;)
I would ask for pics to prove it but I'd be afraid of a repeat of the bed of rose petals pics from ions ago. :wink:

:teasing-whipblue: this is for staying gone so long and making us worry. :tissue2:
What fear is there in the night?
Nothing, but that which is in our own imaginations.
Serkanner
Administrator

Post by Serkanner »

"... the mystery of life isn't a problem to solve but a reality to experience."

“There is no escape—we pay for the violence of our ancestors.”

Sandrider: "Keith went to Bobo's for a weekend of drinking, watched some DVDs,
and wrote a Dune Novel."
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Eyes High wrote:
SandChigger wrote:Maybe... ;)
I would ask for pics to prove it but I'd be afraid of a repeat of the bed of rose petals pics from ions ago. :wink:

:teasing-whipblue: this is for staying gone so long and making us worry. :tissue2:
Or the back of Kevin's balls, if I recall that other one correctly.
Just don't ask him how his anii have been functioning lately.
SandChigger wrote:How many shit McDune books are there now?

I've read nothing but non-fiction for the last two years or so now—when I've read anything at all—and have a dirty little urge to read some really poorly written trash. Have they done with fucking Frank's largely liquified corpse yet... or is there still more to come?

What have I missed? :twisted:
As to Dune, honestly, not much. Though Brian Herbert has been acting like an asshole lately on social media.

Jo has been busy messing up my smilies ( :D ), SR is sober, and AFAIK Freak remains un-incarcerated.

:shock: There is a misspelling in your post. So that's gotta be new. :cylon101:

Goodnight Golden Path!
SadisticCynic

Post by SadisticCynic »

I...had written a bunch of Star Wars and X-Files books...that proved not just that I'm a hack, but that I could write in somebody else's universe... —KJA

I had completely forgotten about this beautiful quote. Thanks to your sig for reminding me! :D
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Omphalos wrote: ...and AFAIK Freak remains un-incarcerated.
I am the model of a law abiding citizen :wink:

I did have a close call about a year or so ago. I got pulled over for unknowingly having a suspended license. Child support enforcement assholes. Fortunately I only received a warning, and got it straightened out the next day. It's amazing how you can make regular payments for years and then they just decide to fuck with your life all of a sudden for kicks.
~Pink Snowman