You're Teaching a Course on SciFi...What's On the Syllabus?

Moderators: Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ, Omphalos

Sandwurm88
Not Soleman

You're Teaching a Course on SciFi...What's On the Syllabus?

Post by Sandwurm88 »

I started this thread cause I'm taking a pretty interesting science fiction literature course right now. If you were a professor teaching a college level course on SF, what novels/ short stories would you require? Obviously there are going to have to be subgenres and periods that you glaze over a little bit --but I'd say 6-10 novels (if some are on the shorter side) is pretty standard, with a few short stories thrown in here and there, and maybe 1-2 films (we did Metropolis in the one I'm taking now).

Since my reading in the genre has been heavily skewed towards novels over short stories, I think I'd probably do something like:

first unit:
Frankenstein
The Time Machine
Star Maker

second unit:
2001: a space odyssey (film)
A Canticle for Leibowitz
Dune
There Will Come Soft Rains
any well known PKD short story

third unit:
Ender's Game
Burning Chrome and Johnny Mnemonic (Gibson short stories)
Revelation Space
Hyperion

Really tough to narrow it down...you have to leave out so much!
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Re: You're Teaching a Course on SciFi...What's On the Syllabus?

Post by Omphalos »

Not a bad list for identifying important works during certain eras of the genre. The first unit looks pretty solid, though a little light. Id add some shorter works. Maybe Benjamin Buttons or The Machine Stops.

The second unit needs some work. I think you should put in some New Wave stuff, like The Genocides. And there is better known Bradbury; Maybe Fahrenheit 451. For a college course I might consider leaving Dune out. It's too massive a work. Maybe go with some older Niven/Pournelle, like Mote in God's Eye

the third unit needs some work. That stuff is too old. I'd shitcan the Gibson stuff and add some Banks. Shitcan Revelation Space and add some Peter Watts.

But if I were doing this from Scratch I would arrange it not by era, but by theme. Hit on some big SF themes and find great works that way. For example:

Dystopia: The Machine Stops, The Futurological Congress, Arslan, Watchmen, City of Truth
Alternate History: Beyond Thirty, Behold the Man, Farthing
Satire: Harrison Bergeron, Planet of the Apes, Slaughterhouse Five
Colonization: After Worlds Collide, Rocannon's World, the Legacy of Heorot
Dying Earth: Last and First Men, A World out of Time, Lilith's Brood, The Gunslinger
Ecology: Earth Abides, The Drowned World, Ecotopia
Space Opera: something by Banks, a Foundation story, Old Man's War

I know that is too much for a single class, but you get the idea. Look at how SF treats important ideas, then go through them chronologically and show how attitudes about those ideas have changed as time has passed. IMHO that is the best way to teach a bunch of kids who don't know sf well what it is really about.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
Naib

Post by Naib »

For early scifi I would add the Lensmen series.

I would also look at foreign scifi with Perry Rhodan (series) and Stanislaw Lem.

As a special unit I would look at the relevancy of classic scifi in a modern world with special attention on The Space Merchants by C. M. Kornbluth and Frederik Pohl.
Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

I'd add some Verne to part I.

I also second that part III needs some Banks. Probably The Player of Games, or maybe Matter.
Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

Asimov, Foundation or maybe Robots of Dawn
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Robspierre

Post by Robspierre »

Need a Heinlein juvenile in there, Have Spacesuit, Will Travel, or Citizen of the Galaxy.

I would probably go with some other Gibson short fiction, something that fits the modern era more...

You also need more women authors, James Tiptree Jr, Anne McCaffrey, CJ Cherryh, Ursula K.Leguin, etc.

Rob
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

Robspierre wrote:You also need more women authors, James Tiptree Jr, Anne McCaffrey, CJ Cherryh, Ursula K.Leguin, etc.
Julian May
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Naib

Post by Naib »

Freakzilla wrote:
Robspierre wrote:You also need more women authors, James Tiptree Jr, Anne McCaffrey, CJ Cherryh, Ursula K.Leguin, etc.
Julian May
Andre Norton
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

You could have a separate graduate level course on women's contribution to SF, and if there is a brain in your head it will present Octavia Butler and Ursula K. LeGuin as the dual centerpieces. Two of the best the genre has to offer, of either gender.

Goodnight Golden Path!
SadisticCynic

Post by SadisticCynic »

Omphalos wrote:You could have a separate graduate level course on women's contribution to SF, and if there is a brain in your head it will present Octavia Butler and Ursula K. LeGuin as the dual centerpieces. Two of the best the genre has to offer, of either gender.
I've never read any Butler, and a quick look at her Wiki tells me she has a few different series to choose from (besides standalone). Any suggestions on where to start?
Ah English, the language where pretty much any word can have any meaning! - A Thing of Eternity
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

SadisticCynic wrote:
Omphalos wrote:You could have a separate graduate level course on women's contribution to SF, and if there is a brain in your head it will present Octavia Butler and Ursula K. LeGuin as the dual centerpieces. Two of the best the genre has to offer, of either gender.
I've never read any Butler, and a quick look at her Wiki tells me she has a few different series to choose from (besides standalone). Any suggestions on where to start?
Lilith's Brood/Xenogenesis is my favorite. http://www.omphalosbookreviews.com/inde ... ws/info/76" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Fledgling is really good too, but it's not really a SF story.

But honestly everything is good. Even the book that she later disowned.

Goodnight Golden Path!
Robspierre

Post by Robspierre »

The genre lost Butler too soon, she was a true genius and an amazing writer.

Rob
xcalibur

Post by xcalibur »

Robspierre wrote:Need a Heinlein juvenile in there, Have Spacesuit, Will Travel, or Citizen of the Galaxy.
Freakzilla wrote:Asimov, Foundation or maybe Robots of Dawn
Omphalos wrote:For a college course I might consider leaving Dune out. It's too massive a work.
I agree, this is what I was going to post.

obviously Dune is one of the greatest of all time and a personal favorite, but it's too rich and deep for a semester. I'd add it to the further reading list, alongside The Moon is a Harsh Mistress and Rendezvous with Rama.
Fremen : Museum Fremen :: Frank : Brian & Kevin
Hunchback Jack

Post by Hunchback Jack »

I would definitely sprinkle in more short works, rather than focusing exclusively on novels. Short stories were the mainstay of SF through much of its history, and you can get a wider range of material, too.
"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
- Carl Sagan

I'm still very proud of The Quarry but … let's face it; in the end the real best way to sign off would have been with a great big rollicking Culture novel.
- Iain Banks