Movies you have watched recently

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

D Pope

Re: Movies you have watched recently

Post by D Pope »

Serkanner wrote:
Ampoliros wrote:Kids can't ruin Deadpool, but they can ruin going to the theater.

Unless you are comfortable explaining what pegging is, don't take kids to see Deadpool.

That said, loved it, and I'm not even a Deadpool fan.
pegging ... had to look that one up ... :shock:
Deadpool is a cribbage fan?
:P
Leto II is gone for good, except for OM. The "pearl" was just that; a miniscule portion of what Leto was, and not a compressed version of the whole. The pearl that the worms have do not make them Leto, or in any way similar to him.
-Omphalos
D Pope

Post by D Pope »

D Pope wrote:
Serkanner wrote:
Ampoliros wrote:Kids can't ruin Deadpool, but they can ruin going to the theater.

Unless you are comfortable explaining what pegging is, don't take kids to see Deadpool.

That said, loved it, and I'm not even a Deadpool fan.
pegging ... had to look that one up ... :shock:
Deadpool is a cribbage fan?
:P
(Possible spoiler)
Leto II is gone for good, except for OM. The "pearl" was just that; a miniscule portion of what Leto was, and not a compressed version of the whole. The pearl that the worms have do not make them Leto, or in any way similar to him.
-Omphalos
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

LOL, My kids are old enough to where they behave in the theater. They've grown up with the internet so I don't think the sex scene phased them at all.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
SadisticCynic

Post by SadisticCynic »

Aw, man, Deadpool was great. :lol:

I watched Jackie Brown a week or so ago. Enjoyed it a lot. It's quite different from what I'm used to from Tarantino, but I think in a refreshing way.
Ah English, the language where pretty much any word can have any meaning! - A Thing of Eternity
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

SadisticCynic wrote:Aw, man, Deadpool was great. :lol:

I watched Jackie Brown a week or so ago. Enjoyed it a lot. It's quite different from what I'm used to from Tarantino, but I think in a refreshing way.
It took a while, but Jackie Brown eventually grew on me.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

Took me forever to realize that the bail bond guy in Jackie Brown was the Captain in The Black Hole.
Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
SadisticCynic

Post by SadisticCynic »

Watched Batman v Superman. I liked it a lot. In my opinion the negative reviews lied to me.

Of course it has flaws, but much worse has been done with higher praise I think.

I also ended up watching the Wonder Woman animated movie over the weekend. Thought it was a decent wee show as well.

So much superhero stuff lately. Makes up for the lack of it in my childhood. :)
Ah English, the language where pretty much any word can have any meaning! - A Thing of Eternity
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

I liked Batman vs Superman too, so did the kids. I would have liked more Wonder Woman, but who wouldn't, right? :drool:
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
SadisticCynic

Post by SadisticCynic »

Xmen Apocalypse. Again, like BvS, flawed (not as much) but a good show. I enjoyed it a lot.

A couple of older films I saw for the first time: Shaolin Soccer :lol:

...and Kill Bill Vol. 1. I enjoyed it, but not as much as others of Tarantino's. I liked the aesthetic though.
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

SadisticCynic wrote:Xmen Apocalypse. Again, like BvS, flawed (not as much) but a good show. I enjoyed it a lot.

A couple of older films I saw for the first time: Shaolin Soccer :lol:

...and Kill Bill Vol. 1. I enjoyed it, but not as much as others of Tarantino's. I liked the aesthetic though.
Again, as above, Kill Bill 1 & 2 are two films that I did not care for so much when I saw them in the theater, but have really grown on me over the years.

Looking forward to the new X-Man movie. I think we will see it this weekend.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
lotek

Post by lotek »

BvS I'm not keen on, I just dread that Luthor, and when I see Affleck all I see is Bad Daredevil... (to me, the only good Batman is animated)

But Xmen Apocalypse, now that's a different story.

(and my Dvd of Deadpool is almost there, damn different release dates, marketing should be flogged in the town square for that)
Spice is the worm's gonads.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Captain America: Civil War :handgestures-thumbupleft: :handgestures-thumbupright:
~Pink Snowman
lotek

Post by lotek »

Freakzilla wrote:Captain America: Civil War :handgestures-thumbupleft: :handgestures-thumbupright:

I have taken a monthly card for two movies for the price of one just to face the onslaught of superhero movies that's coming.
Civil War is of course on the list!
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

lotek wrote:
Freakzilla wrote:Captain America: Civil War :handgestures-thumbupleft: :handgestures-thumbupright:

I have taken a monthly card for two movies for the price of one just to face the onslaught of superhero movies that's coming.
Civil War is of course on the list!
So far I've kept up with all the "solo" movies but I think I had quite a few drinks while watching CA: Winter Soldier. Apparently information in that one was important to Civil War. Then they throw in another guy out of nowhere... so I was a little lost at times.
~Pink Snowman
lotek

Post by lotek »

I've seen Winter Soldier a few times on Netflix, I'm ready for the war!

Managed to stay spoiler free, but I do hope the Iron Man Bleeding Edge armor makes an appearance, that thing is effin' awesome.
Hunchback Jack

Post by Hunchback Jack »

Recently saw Ant-Man and Gone Girl. Liked them both, without needing to think about them too hard.
"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
- Carl Sagan

I'm still very proud of The Quarry but … let's face it; in the end the real best way to sign off would have been with a great big rollicking Culture novel.
- Iain Banks
lotek

Post by lotek »

I'm on the fence with Ant Man, it felt too much like a forced comedy at times, a bit like when they put that horrible kid in SW to pander to McDonald's kids' menus sales, looks like they put cheap laughs for kiddies.
I mean the train scene was just ridiculous to me.

Went to see X Men Apocalypse, wasn't perfect but it was the best xmen movie up to now (still have a soft spot for number II though)

Tonight is the last showing for Civil War, but if I go there won't be any trains to mine and I won't be back home before half midnight...
SadisticCynic

Post by SadisticCynic »

Watched all three original Mad Max movies. I loved the first two (particularly Toecutter*) but the third one was a bit meh in my opinion.

*Preemptive strike: yeah, I know the guy who plays Toecutter is in Fury Road as another character. :)
Hunchback Jack

Post by Hunchback Jack »

Agreed, those are great movies. Thunder dome is perhaps a bit too over the top, and a bit too Hollywood, but still a solid flick. If you're Australian (as I am) Max Max 1and 2 are a bit of a who's who of Australian TV and film actors of the time, too.

Can I say how great the practical effects and stunt work in Fury Road were? Just amazing.

HBJ
"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
- Carl Sagan

I'm still very proud of The Quarry but … let's face it; in the end the real best way to sign off would have been with a great big rollicking Culture novel.
- Iain Banks
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

lotek wrote:Went to see X Men Apocalypse, wasn't perfect but it was the best xmen movie up to now (still have a soft spot for number II though)
I'll have to agree with you there, saw it last weekend. Olivia Munn... :drool:

~Pink Snowman
Godemperorjames

Post by Godemperorjames »

I work at a movie theatre so I get to see movies all the time. I saw Finding Dory last. It was alright but it felt too engineered in my opinion.
SadisticCynic

Post by SadisticCynic »

Been watching some Bond films for the first time.

Started with Spectre in the cinema (I know, a mistake), then went back and watched through the Craig films. Enjoyed them all, particularly Skyfall.
Eyes High
Patience Personified

Post by Eyes High »

Just some of the movies since the beginning of April:

Ant-Man
Dead Pool
Pacific Rim
Battleship
San Andreas
The Martian
Pixels
War Room
Zootopia (actually went to the discount theater for this one)
Hulk and The Incredible Hulk,
Alice in Wonderland
The Lone Ranger
Arsenic and Old Lace
(Direct TV has been getting a work out while we're in the temporary apartment)

And I have several more on the list to catch up on like Push, Red Tails, Moon, Jumper, Sherlock Holmes....
What fear is there in the night?
Nothing, but that which is in our own imaginations.
Hunchback Jack

Post by Hunchback Jack »

SadisticCynic wrote:Been watching some Bond films for the first time.

Started with Spectre in the cinema (I know, a mistake), then went back and watched through the Craig films. Enjoyed them all, particularly Skyfall.
Spectre seems to have received mediocre reviews, but I really liked it.

HBJ
- Carl Sagan

- Iain Banks
SadisticCynic

Post by SadisticCynic »

Watched Grave of the Fireflies.

I need a hug... :(