Abomination of Dune

Moderators: Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ, Omphalos

georgiedenbro

Abomination of Dune

Post by georgiedenbro »

Not sure how anyone feels about me linking to another discussion forum, but I came across a Reddit thread entitled "Have you ever been so frustrated at a book that you threw it across the room?" Two out of the three top responses name the KJA/Brian Dune books :D

https://www.reddit.com/r/books/comments ... book_that/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

One of the replies simply names the books as Abomination of Dune, a goodly title.
"um-m-m-ah-h-h-hm-m-m-m!"
Serkanner
Administrator

Re: Abomination of Dune

Post by Serkanner »

Thanks for the link. I call them "Atrocities of Dune" or "The Atrocities" for short, and I am doubtful about using the capital A.
"... the mystery of life isn't a problem to solve but a reality to experience."

“There is no escape—we pay for the violence of our ancestors.”

Sandrider: "Keith went to Bobo's for a weekend of drinking, watched some DVDs,
and wrote a Dune Novel."
lotek

Post by lotek »

Jumbledcode
When I tried to read the first of the Brian Herbert Dune prequels. The only way I managed to make it through the book was by the expedient of throwing it across the room once per page to work out my anger at how terrible it was.

RunningNumbers
Brian Herbert really has just coasted on the corpse of his father for all his life.

DeFexScience Fiction
haha. Brian Herbert. abomination of dune.
Spice is the worm's gonads.
SadisticCynic

Post by SadisticCynic »

georgiedenbro wrote:Not sure how anyone feels about me linking to another discussion forum, but I came across a Reddit thread entitled "Have you ever been so frustrated at a book that you threw it across the room?" Two out of the three top responses name the KJA/Brian Dune books :D

https://www.reddit.com/r/books/comments ... book_that/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

One of the replies simply names the books as Abomination of Dune, a goodly title.
I remember that thread. I was pleased to see it as well, since quite a few times coming across a recommendation of Dune it is followed by a recommendation of the prequels/sequels. :(
Ah English, the language where pretty much any word can have any meaning! - A Thing of Eternity
distrans

Post by distrans »

I gave em a chance
gagged through a couple of books
Wasn't compelled to let him ruin 7 for me

Now a decade later I see both parts in a free bin at the local
Thought what the heck

Jeez

What crap

I don't believe those were written from any of frank notes...
DuckAtreides

Post by DuckAtreides »

FWVVLIW, I saw them when they first came out and thought, rather naively, oh good, FH's son has decided to add to his Dad's canon. I bought - in bargain bins - and worked my way through House Atreides and House Harkonnen, finding them tough going and in retrospect, shallower than I thought Frank Herbert would've written. I managed some of the others that I borrowed from the local library, and thought, no, wait, FH surely didn't mean that!!! Then I picked up Road to Dune from a bargain bin, and ... wait one nose-picking moment! FH has always said Dune was written as a result of his journalistic work and private study of various drylands ecologists and whatnot ... which is not the focus of Road to Dune, not at all!!!

By the time Paul of Dune came out, I took a look at it on the shelves in the local bookshop and thought, I have better things to spend my money on. I haven't regretted it.
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

DuckAtreides wrote:Road to Dune
It was worth it for the cut chapters from Dune. I got Keith to sign it at Dragon*con, introduced him to my son as a guy who wrote Star Wars books
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
georgiedenbro

Post by georgiedenbro »

Freakzilla wrote:
DuckAtreides wrote:Road to Dune
It was worth it for the cut chapters from Dune. I got Keith to sign it at Dragon*con, introduced him to my son as a guy who wrote Star Wars books
:lol:
"um-m-m-ah-h-h-hm-m-m-m!"
Tom Servo

Post by Tom Servo »

I would have thrown Sisterhood Of Dune across the room 20 times by now if I weren't reading it on my tablet. It's sucking my will to read.