I have been meaning to create a damn account here...

Moderators: Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ, Omphalos

ChapterhouseBrothel

I have been meaning to create a damn account here...

Post by ChapterhouseBrothel »

I stumbled across this website about 4-5 years ago when I was on deployment. Reading all the discussion on here about the Dune universe and a hatred for McDune was really entertaining for me on an otherwise very boring deployment, so thank you. I wish I had more time to type out a decent introduction, I havent really checked out how active this forum is, so if it is indeed alive(which I believe to be true since there are several recent introductions) I will type out a better introduction later. Its nice to finally be in the sietch! I will leave you with one of my favorite passages in any Dune book;

“I am a collection of the obsolete, a relic of the damned, of the lost and strayed. I am the waylaid pieces of history which sank out of sight in all of our pasts. Such an accumulation of riffraff has never before been imagined.” - Leto II

Chapterhouse
It is difficult to live in the present, pointless to live in the future and impossible to live in the past. - Leto II
lotek

Re: I have been meaning to create a damn account here...

Post by lotek »

Welcome to the riff raff!
Spice is the worm's gonads.
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

:text-welcomeconfetti: :text-welcomeconfetti:
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
georgiedenbro

Post by georgiedenbro »

Hello!
"um-m-m-ah-h-h-hm-m-m-m!"
Serkanner
Administrator

Post by Serkanner »

Welcome Home!
"... the mystery of life isn't a problem to solve but a reality to experience."

“There is no escape—we pay for the violence of our ancestors.”

Sandrider: "Keith went to Bobo's for a weekend of drinking, watched some DVDs,
and wrote a Dune Novel."
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Hellllllllooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
ᴶᵛᵀᴬ
Joseph-Vintimille Tariki Askaris

Post by ᴶᵛᵀᴬ »

Achlan wasachlan :text-welcomewave:
    Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
    ۞ Shaihuludata gigantica Gratia, Fidei defensor ۞
      ChapterhouseBrothel

Post by ChapterhouseBrothel »

Thank you for the welcome dudes! I should have typed out a better introduction, since now nobody will probably see this. Oh well, I'm jamming to Bad Religion and I'm gonna tell a story.

When I was in...shit what was it, 8th grade? I was wrestling varsity for my high school (waits for people to stop laughing about wrestling dudes etc), and i became friends with this guy who was a few years older than me, and very intelligent. One day we we're sitting around at a tournament. bored, and he was like, " Hey man, read this book. Its fucking incredible." Im sure it was more articulate than that, im just a moron. At that point he had read everything FH published and had an extensive collection of Dune books, different cover art, various different language translations which also had interesting art on the cover, it was pretty sick.

I wasnt much of a reader, i hated it in fact. I slogged through the book, took me months to read. It was so difficult for my 8th grade hormonal brain to comprehend. Meanings within meanings within meanings within... It wasnt until a year or so after i read Dune that I re-read it. I was blown away at how much I missed, and he way FH implants a picture in your brain, its otherworldly. I have never read anything else that has come close to touching me like the Dune series has. GEoD is far and away my favorite. Everything Leto says can be analyzed and scrutinized to find so many amazing philosophical concepts. I dont understand how someone (who is human) could write something that is so profound. Maybe I am shitting myself and maybe its not the literary breakthrough i am making it out to be, it just speaks to me in a way i cant explain. I trust many of you feel the same.

Looking back at when I started reading that book, it has been almost 2 decades. The quote I put up is kind of how I feel. I am fuckin old now, and going back to college at my age is pretty shitty. Doing quite a few years in the Navy really fucked me, yeah GI Bill etc., but goddamn. Im in class with 18-19 year old children, and I feel like I am obsolete, discarded when younger units arrive. Meh, I'll stop the pity party. :D
      It is difficult to live in the present, pointless to live in the future and impossible to live in the past. - Leto II
      Serkanner
      Administrator

Post by Serkanner »

I have read the series numerous times and they never fail to teach me something new.

PS: don't worry, we read everything that is posted here.
      "... the mystery of life isn't a problem to solve but a reality to experience."

“There is no escape—we pay for the violence of our ancestors.”

Sandrider: "Keith went to Bobo's for a weekend of drinking, watched some DVDs,
      and wrote a Dune Novel."
      Freakzilla
      Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

I think we all get something new out of it each time. That's why we keep reading. :D
      Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
      ~Pink Snowman
      ᴶᵛᵀᴬ
      Joseph-Vintimille Tariki Askaris

Post by ᴶᵛᵀᴬ »

ChapterhouseBrothel wrote:I am fuckin old now, and going back to college at my age is pretty shitty. Doing quite a few years in the Navy really fucked me, yeah GI Bill etc., but goddamn. Im in class with 18-19 year old children, and I feel like I am obsolete, discarded when younger units arrive.
      [right][attachment=0]learning.PNG[/attachment][/right][justify]« Many have marked the speed with which Muad'Dib learned the necessities of Arrakis. The Bene Gesserit, of course, know the basis of this speed. For the others, we can say that Muad'Dib learned rapidly because his first training was in how to learn. And the first lesson of all was the basic trust that he could learn. It is shocking to find how many people do not believe they can learn, and how many more believe learning to be difficult. Muad'Dib knew that every experience carries its lesson.»[/justify] -from "The Humanity of Muad'Dib" by the Princess Irulan [[url=http://www.jacurutu.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=59]Dune, Chpt. 9[/url]]
      Attachments
      learning.PNG
      SandRider
      Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

Serkanner wrote: PS: don't worry, we read everything that is posted here.
      ................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
      ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
      how to fully interact with people.
      ~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008
      Omphalos
      Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

ᴶᵛᵀᴬ wrote:
      ChapterhouseBrothel wrote:I am fuckin old now, and going back to college at my age is pretty shitty. Doing quite a few years in the Navy really fucked me, yeah GI Bill etc., but goddamn. Im in class with 18-19 year old children, and I feel like I am obsolete, discarded when younger units arrive.
      [right][attachment=0]learning.PNG[/attachment][/right][justify]« Many have marked the speed with which Muad'Dib learned the necessities of Arrakis. The Bene Gesserit, of course, know the basis of this speed. For the others, we can say that Muad'Dib learned rapidly because his first training was in how to learn. And the first lesson of all was the basic trust that he could learn. It is shocking to find how many people do not believe they can learn, and how many more believe learning to be difficult. Muad'Dib knew that every experience carries its lesson.»[/justify] -from "The Humanity of Muad'Dib" by the Princess Irulan [[url=http://www.jacurutu.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=59]Dune, Chpt. 9[/url]]
      You have the prettiest posts.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
      Eyes High
      Patience Personified

Post by Eyes High »

:happy-wavemulticolor: :text-welcomewave:
      What fear is there in the night?
      Nothing, but that which is in our own imaginations.