Dune Prequels Rip Off the Dune Encyclopedia.

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

zacher2005

Dune Prequels Rip Off the Dune Encyclopedia.

Post by zacher2005 »

I finally am reading the Dune Encyclopedia and am reading the "ARRAKIS, Ecological Transformation of" section, and it's the same story of Pardot Kines as used the book written by the hacks.

Didn't they say the DE isn't cannon though?
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Re: Dune Prequels Rip Off the Dune Encyclopedia.

Post by Freakzilla »

zacher2005 wrote:I finally am reading the Dune Encyclopedia and am reading the "ARRAKIS, Ecological Transformation of" section, and it's the same story of Pardot Kines as used the book written by the hacks.

Didn't they say the DE isn't cannon though?
That is correct.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Naïve mind

Post by Naïve mind »

zacher2005 wrote:I finally am reading the Dune Encyclopedia and am reading the "ARRAKIS, Ecological Transformation of" section, and it's the same story of Pardot Kines as used the book written by the hacks.
Possibly it came from Appendix I, the Ecology of Dune
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

They stole a lot from McNelly et al.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
Naib

Post by Naib »

I always got the sense that they wrote their stuff after watching 90210 or Party of Five and used that as their starting point.
Sardaukar Capt

Post by Sardaukar Capt »

DE is basically curated fan fiction and McDune is the drivel that would have been left on the cutting room floor :)

In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if Keith and Bo Bo actually authored under pseudonyms some of the fan-fic that McNelly chose to leave out of DE because it was crap even for fan-fic and the Hacks just reused it once they conned the demon spawns of Frank and Bev into thinking they could turn Dune into the next Star Wars type cash cow.
The name Atreides was also consciously chosen. It is the family name of Agamemnon. Says Herbert, "I wanted a sense of monumental aristocracy, but with tragedy hanging over them--and in our culture, Agamemnon personifies that."
Frank Herbert by Tim O'Reilly
http://tim.oreilly.com/herbert/

Ghanima said. "We Atreides go back to Agamemnon..."
Distracted, Irulan asked: "Who's Agamemnon?"

Children of Dune by Frank Herbert

WTF? A BG forgets the Titans?! :)
lotek

Post by lotek »

Floor sweepings, that's what my gran used to call cheap tea bags.
Spice is the worm's gonads.
Sardaukar Capt

Post by Sardaukar Capt »

lotek wrote:Floor sweepings, that's what my gran used to call cheap tea bags.
That brings to mind all the wonderful Tea Bagging metaphors involving tehkja and Bo Bo and what they are doing to Frank's legacy and every member of the HLP except the HLP are lapping up each pube in the hopes there is a bag of cash dangling like a dingleberry from Mr Star Wars novel himself.
The name Atreides was also consciously chosen. It is the family name of Agamemnon. Says Herbert, "I wanted a sense of monumental aristocracy, but with tragedy hanging over them--and in our culture, Agamemnon personifies that."
Frank Herbert by Tim O'Reilly
http://tim.oreilly.com/herbert/

Ghanima said. "We Atreides go back to Agamemnon..."
Distracted, Irulan asked: "Who's Agamemnon?"

Children of Dune by Frank Herbert

WTF? A BG forgets the Titans?! :)
lotek

Post by lotek »

I knew this bag wouldn't be left to dangle too long ^^
Spice is the worm's gonads.
JasonJD48

Post by JasonJD48 »

Sardaukar Capt wrote:DE is basically curated fan fiction and McDune is the drivel that would have been left on the cutting room floor :)

In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if Keith and Bo Bo actually authored under pseudonyms some of the fan-fic that McNelly chose to leave out of DE because it was crap even for fan-fic and the Hacks just reused it once they conned the demon spawns of Frank and Bev into thinking they could turn Dune into the next Star Wars type cash cow.
I wouldn't call the DE a fan fiction, McNelly was close to Frank and had many discussions with him about the material going into the DE, Frank himself sanctioned it, while reserving the right to contradict it in future works. I personally look to it as secondary canon where there's gaps in the originals as long as the DE doesn't contradict anything in the originals.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic"
- Arthur C. Clarke