The Board

Moderators: Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ, Omphalos

Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

The Board

Post by Omphalos »

I think that the topic list looks great so far. Maybe you should wait to see what other users want to talk about after they have had a chance to post where you have set up threads.

Anyone disagree or have a suggestion?

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
Simon

Post by Simon »

Sounds good to me.

I've noticed I'm not getting topic reply notifications in my e-mail.
Since the board is new that's not such a big deal but once it really fills up I might have problems finding certain topics with out the e-mail heads up (thats what really brought me down on Arrakeen, I couldn't find previous post sometimes and grew frustrated with it)
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Simon wrote:Sounds good to me.

Since the board is new that's not such a big deal but once it really fills up I might have problems finding certain topics with out the e-mail heads up (thats what really brought me down on Arrakeen, I couldn't find previous post sometimes and grew frustrated with it)
You turn that off in your own individual profile. Just look there under the topic "Always Notify Me Of Replies," and click the bubble to "no" and they should stop. Also, make sure that you are not for some stupid reason subscribed to any particular topics. My board doesnt seem to do that, but DN is always randomly subscribing me to topics I never posted in and sending me notes.

Goodnight Golden Path!
Phaedrus

Post by Phaedrus »

The topics look good so far, but I think some things are missing.

Where would I go if I wanted to start a topic about mentats? Or Zensunni philosophy? Or Fremen? Or Truthsaying?

I guess Zensunni could go under the Bene Tleilax section, but would anyone else think to look there? And while Truthsaying could fit into the Bene Gesserit forum, we know that anyone in the Duniverse can become a Truthsayer. Maybe it would be best to add two new forums, one for the Fremen(I think there's enough discussion there for an entire forum, personally), and a general Dune forum where all those things that didn't quite make it into specialized forums go.
Simon

Post by Simon »

Omphalos wrote:

You turn that off in your own individual profile. Just look there under the topic "Always Notify Me Of Replies," and click the bubble to "no" and they should stop. Also, make sure that you are not for some stupid reason subscribed to any particular topics. My board doesnt seem to do that, but DN is always randomly subscribing me to topics I never posted in and sending me notes.
nope, all turned on,still no notifications...
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

Phaedrus wrote:The topics look good so far, but I think some things are missing.

Where would I go if I wanted to start a topic about mentats? Or Zensunni philosophy? Or Fremen? Or Truthsaying?

I guess Zensunni could go under the Bene Tleilax section, but would anyone else think to look there? And while Truthsaying could fit into the Bene Gesserit forum, we know that anyone in the Duniverse can become a Truthsayer. Maybe it would be best to add two new forums, one for the Fremen(I think there's enough discussion there for an entire forum, personally), and a general Dune forum where all those things that didn't quite make it into specialized forums go.
I meant to make a forum for the Fremen, good call.

Zensunni is not just a Tleilaxu religion so how about a "Religions of Dune" forum?

Mentats I think could go under Bene Tleilax since they created them, even though the schools scattered. But I don't think they deserve their own forum.

I was hoping to be able to set up enough forums so a general discussion forum wouldn't be necessary. Let me think about that one a little.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Simon wrote:
Omphalos wrote:

nope, all turned on,still no notifications...
I'm not getting any email notifications either, I'll check on it.
Phaedrus

Post by Phaedrus »

Freakzilla wrote:
Phaedrus wrote:The topics look good so far, but I think some things are missing.

I meant to make a forum for the Fremen, good call.

Zensunni is not just a Tleilaxu religion so how about a "Religions of Dune" forum?

Mentats I think could go under Bene Tleilax since they created them, even though the schools scattered. But I don't think they deserve their own forum.

I was hoping to be able to set up enough forums so a general discussion forum wouldn't be necessary. Let me think about that one a little.
Religions of Dune would be great. And I don't think Mentats deserve their own forum, either, I'm just saying, where would they go? Maybe instead of Religions, you could broaden it to something like, Religions, Philosophies, and Skills? Or something like that? Because I don't think that's too much in one section, really, and it covers a lot of loose material.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Added:

Religions of Dune. I'm not sure there will be enough conversation for this, it may get merged with...

General Dune Discussion

The Fremen
Mandy
Cat Herder

Post by Mandy »

Wow.. that's a lot of forums for such a small group.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Mandy wrote:Wow.. that's a lot of forums for such a small group.
Depending on use, I may merge some with others.
Mandy
Cat Herder

Post by Mandy »

Yeah.. once things get going you may need them all, you never know.
GamePlayer
70mm God

Post by GamePlayer »

I agree. Trim the forums some.
Simon

Post by Simon »

I thought they were fine, I like well articulated and identifiable threads. There's a spot for each classic book (cough,cough could use some "new" book listings, for you OH guys to rag on if nothing else :lol: ) Though knowing our glorious founder an ice cube in hell has a better chance.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

I think this is the max, I can't see adding any more.

Simon, you're lucky you got the one Prequel/Sequel forum at all!

:wink:
Simon

Post by Simon »

I was thinking of posting the DUNE fan comic here, is that kosher Freak?
GamePlayer
70mm God

Post by GamePlayer »

I don't. There's too much ridiculous forum skipping required. The fewer the number of mouse actions it takes to get to what you want in a message board the better. A few forums filled with multiple topics to read is both easier and more interesting that dozen of forums with very few new threads. There's no point filling a message board with dozens of rarely used sub-forums except to satisfy some anal urge to organize shit.

Build threads, not sub-forums. You'll know when the community needs more forums.
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

I dont even think that sub-forums are possible with this version of the software, but I agree, sub-forums suck.

Goodnight Golden Path!
Mandy
Cat Herder

Post by Mandy »

There's a mod for subforums, but I don't like subforums either.. I think GamePlayer is referring to all the forums as subforums.
Simon

Post by Simon »

Freakzilla wrote:I think this is the max, I can't see adding any more.

Simon, you're lucky you got the one Prequel/Sequel forum at all!

:wink:
:lol:
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Simon wrote:I was thinking of posting the DUNE fan comic here, is that kosher Freak?
Sure, Dune Media would be a good place.
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Mandy wrote:There's a mod for subforums, but I don't like subforums either.. I think GamePlayer is referring to all the forums as subforums.
Ah. We need to invent GamePlayer a mouse he can click with a thought, instead of a finger movement.

Goodnight Golden Path!
Simon

Post by Simon »

kool beans
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

GamePlayer wrote:I don't. There's too much ridiculous forum skipping required. The fewer the number of mouse actions it takes to get to what you want in a message board the better. A few forums filled with multiple topics to read is both easier and more interesting that dozen of forums with very few new threads. There's no point filling a message board with dozens of rarely used sub-forums except to satisfy some anal urge to organize shit.

Build threads, not sub-forums. You'll know when the community needs more forums.
I was trying to anticipate the max we will need. If they don't get used I'll merge some. For now I'd like to see how this works out.
GamePlayer
70mm God

Post by GamePlayer »

Omphalos wrote:I dont even think that sub-forums are possible with this version of the software, but I agree, sub-forums suck.
I actually mean forums, not "sub-forums" per se. The term forum can actually refer to an entire message board itself, so sub-forum is kinda the way to distinguish between the two.

Regardless, I think we're already going over board with the number of forums/sub-forums here.