Simon's Sketches

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Re: Simon's Sketches

Post by Nekhrun »

Damn, I can only hope to be half as grizzled as I mature. I tip my hat to you Sir.
"If he was here to discuss Dune, he sure as hell picked a dumb way to do it." -Omphalos :character-cookiemonster:

Happy Memorial Day everyone! -James C. Harwood

"Three of my videos have over 100 views."
"Over 500 views for my 'Open Question' video." -Nebiros
chanilover

Post by chanilover »

Omphalos wrote:
inhuien wrote:
what smells worse, my penis or Chigger's boogers ?
Which ever one is the closest to your nose.
god help you in either case.
RAmen.
"You and your buddies and that b*tch Mandy are nothing but a gang of lying, socially maladjusted losers." - St Hypatia of Arrakeen.
Simon

Post by Simon »

Just 'pimping' my cartoons :)
A Non-DUNE work (The nerve!).
Need brutal opinion, and I know of no better place. (That is a compliment)
Constructive criticism is, as always, welcome.
Negative drivel....... will certainly provide me with a few chuckles :lol:

Simon

Post by Simon »

(This is how it will look in it's final proportions.)

SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

shit, I like it ... I'd hang it in the garage ...
if'n I had a garage, I mean ...
................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
how to fully interact with people.
~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008
Simon

Post by Simon »

Wow. Thanks man.
In all seriousness, coming from you, that's high review.
Much appreciated :!:
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

I like it too Simon.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
Simon

Post by Simon »

Jeez, what's the gag?
Is Sand Chigger standing behind me with a club? (joke)

Thanks Omph, glad you dig it :D
Simon

Post by Simon »

Here is another one, again non-DUNE (really pushing my luck, lol).
Helping a friend who is trying to write a story. He's just giving me character descriptions, and I'm running with them.
I have NO idea what the story is about.
He wanted me to put a scarf on Wittel (the name he's given the cat).... yeah..... ......I'm waaaay out on a limb here.
Any technical observations as far as the composition and design are welcome (though I'm aware the cat's spine isn't long enough already, please know that this is the first tiger/bobcat/lynx I've ever drawn up. I'm not really an animal guy when it comes down to it, but I figure "Hey, expanding horizons is a good thing").

Tleszer

Post by Tleszer »

Cool. :clap: Although I liked the first sketch too, it did kind of creep me out.
DUNE, as interpreted by a blue man with a green tushie
Serkanner
Administrator

Post by Serkanner »

I like both pictures. The first one made me think of China Mieville's character Construct council of Perdido street station who is in charge of a whole "army" of robots build out of debris.

Yesterday I finished watching the Netflix series "Hemlock Grove" and now I see your drawing and it is as if you made it after watching it as well.

I like the art of the drawings. The expressions of the characters are very well done and the scenery around the character turns the one drawing in to an entire story. I would most definitely suggest you continue drawing like this.
"... the mystery of life isn't a problem to solve but a reality to experience."

“There is no escape—we pay for the violence of our ancestors.”

Sandrider: "Keith went to Bobo's for a weekend of drinking, watched some DVDs,
and wrote a Dune Novel."
Simon

Post by Simon »

Tleszer wrote:Cool. :clap: Although I liked the first sketch too, it did kind of creep me out.

Lol, I think it was the teeth :) (Dunno why I felt the need to give the robot teeth)
Simon

Post by Simon »

Serkanner wrote:I like both pictures. The first one made me think of China Mieville's character Construct council of Perdido street station who is in charge of a whole "army" of robots build out of debris.

Yesterday I finished watching the Netflix series "Hemlock Grove" and now I see your drawing and it is as if you made it after watching it as well.

I like the art of the drawings. The expressions of the characters are very well done and the scenery around the character turns the one drawing in to an entire story. I would most definitely suggest you continue drawing like this.
Actually haven't seen that one (I'm finally checking out Battlestar though! :D ), but I also realize that I'm 60 or 70 years late as far as robot imagery goes, so it's bound to resemble something previously done. I do try to avoid things that might influence my art, like if I know I'm going to be doing something involving robots, I avoid them, but there is no getting around the amount of Science Fiction I've digested during my life.

That said, I don't mind researching stuff for details. With the Lady I checked out images of samurai swords to make sure I had certain details right (I was going to give her two swords, but the writer assured me that there was a reason within the story why she only has the one..).

A big influence on the Robot image was Drew Struzan (I did watched his bio on Netflix), Not his style in particular, but in that he mentioned how he works the angles in support of the central image. I thought that was brilliant, using objects within the image to help frame it (RIDICULOUS that it never occurred to me)! That really effected how I laid the 'random' debris around the D.A.H.L image. I'm no Drew Struzan, nor shall I ever be, but good advice is good advice ;)
lotek

Post by lotek »

I like the colors in that one, it almost could be Ghanima too.
Spice is the worm's gonads.
Simon

Post by Simon »

I dunno man... a little old for Ghani.... lol
Simon

Post by Simon »

A new concept image for the comic my friend is writing.

The setting is a cave on a partially terraformed Titan (leaning towards it's current condition as opposed to an almost Eden state, the transformation has begun, but isn't overly far along).
The characters are a father/son team, one a scientist, the other an archaeologist (respectively).
Backdrop has humans getting back to space exploration after a second Dark Age, so there is no interstellar flight in the story, and these guys are checking out the ruins of an early human colony on that moon.

Any technical observations would be welcome. I tried to make things accurate as I could.. (looked up what we know about the colors on Titan, what liquid methane would look like, ect.)

I haven't read the story as it's still a work in progress, and honestly can't imagine how that chick with the big cat will tie into this. :lol:
BUT, I'm having fun. So that's something I guess...

lotek

Post by lotek »

Simon wrote:I dunno man... a little old for Ghani.... lol

True, and the crysknife looks more like a japanese short sword too come to think of it.

As for the Titan story, sounds like an interesting concept.
Your artwork is vaguely reminiscent of to me, which I think is cool.

If you haven't heard of this stuff before, maybe these questions unanswered about Titan could be of some use?
There is also data that suggests the presence of a liquid ocean beneath the surface, but it is still to be confirmed.
An Unsolved Mystery:

The complex chemistry of the atmosphere is possible because of the presence of methane. Since methane is broken down by sunlight, scientists believe there is another source that replenishes what is lost. They are yet to determine if this is due to volcanic activity.
Possibilities for Life

It is thought that conditions on Titan could become more habitable in the far future. If the sun increases its temperature (6 billion years from now) and becomes a red giant star, Titan's temperature could increase enough for stable oceans to exist on the surface, according to some models. If this happens, conditions in Titan could be similar to Earth's, allowing conditions favorable for some forms of life.
http://www.space.com/15257-titan-saturn ... sdcmp.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

Ghanima had red hair. :P
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
lotek

Post by lotek »

I did say almost ^^
Simon

Post by Simon »

Thanks Lotek, was aware of some of that, though not all. Very helpful stuff :)