Mentats of Dune

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

lotek

Re: Mentats of Dune

Post by lotek »

inhuien wrote:I fail to see the problem here, their obviously evolved Mentits.
Is that Scottish Mentats ?

This comes up with the google search.
~$ where can i get mentats - Licensed Onine ... - Scottish Pop Rock
scottish-pop-rock.de/?spacessea=where%20can%20i%20get%20mentats‎
where can i get mentats > From Canadian Pharmacy. where can i get mentats - And Other Popular Medications. where can i get mentats - A Us Licensed ...
I smell a conspiracy.
Spice is the worm's gonads.
inhuien

Post by inhuien »

lotek wrote:I smell a conspiracy.
Yes, and I don't think that's conspiracy you smell. What's the opposite of constipation again? Oh Tetragrammaton, not again!!
lotek

Post by lotek »

SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

The flying thing is a fu bird. Frank mentions them in an Appendix note somewhere. Found only in The Notes version, I mean.

It's also mentioned in the new Herbert family motto: If the fu shits... wrap it in book covers and slap Kevin's name on it!

Mentwats of Dumb, coming soon! :roll:
lotek

Post by lotek »

SandChigger wrote:It's also mentioned in the new Herbert family motto: If the fu shits... wrap it in book covers and slap Kevin's name on it!
This made me think of that
leagued

Post by leagued »

Hadn't come by in awhile, found myself wondering if there was anymore travesty coming out of the nu-Dune franchise-- obviously, none of the sci-fi blogs I read pay any attention to this shit anymore-- and found this thread answering my question. Great. Can't wait for someone else to read it and eviscerate it.
LeagueD
Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

https://www.goodreads.com/giveaway/show ... ts-of-dune" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Heh hehe hehhehehehehhehHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEheheh...

heh

Also in the rules, it says that the publisher reserves the right to distribute reviews posted on goodreads.

OH, I SURE HOPE SO.
Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
Tleszer

Post by Tleszer »

Thanks for the link, Amp. Just entered to win a copy, though I guess there really aren't any "winners" in a contest like this.
DUNE, as interpreted by a blue man with a green tushie
Serkanner
Administrator

Post by Serkanner »

Tleszer wrote:Thanks for the link, Amp. Just entered to win a copy, though I guess there really aren't any "winners" in a contest like this.
I feel like a winner because the offer is only for the US and Canada ... I can not win a copy! :lol:
"... the mystery of life isn't a problem to solve but a reality to experience."

“There is no escape—we pay for the violence of our ancestors.”

Sandrider: "Keith went to Bobo's for a weekend of drinking, watched some DVDs,
and wrote a Dune Novel."
Tleszer

Post by Tleszer »

Serkanner wrote:
Tleszer wrote:Thanks for the link, Amp. Just entered to win a copy, though I guess there really aren't any "winners" in a contest like this.
I feel like a winner because the offer is only for the US and Canada ... I can not win a copy! :lol:
:clap: :clap: :clap:
DUNE, as interpreted by a blue man with a green tushie
Jodorowsky's Acolyte

Post by Jodorowsky's Acolyte »

Maybe in order to get the message across to BH & KJA, you should do a variation of Petronius' suicide speech from Quo Vadis.

PETRONIUS
[in his dying letter to Nero] To Nero, Emperor of Rome, Master of the World, Divine Pontiff. I know that my death will be a disappointment to you, since you wished to render me this service yourself. To be born in your reign is a miscalculation; but to die in it is a joy. I can forgive you for murdering your wife and your mother, for burning our beloved Rome, for befouling our fair country with the stench of your crimes. But one thing I cannot forgive - the boredom of having to listen to your verses, your second-rate songs, your mediocre performances. Adhere to your special gifts, Nero - murder and arson, betrayal and terror. Mutilate your subjects if you must; but with my last breath I beg you - do not mutilate the arts. Fare well, but compose no more music. Brutalize the people, but do not bore them, as you have bored to death your friend, the late Gaius Petronius.

How about this as a variation?

JACURUTU USER:
[In his/her dying letter to BH and KJA] To BH and KJA, Heirs to Frank Herbert, New Owners of the Dune Copyright, First Consuls to the Dune Universe. I know that my death will be a disappointment to you both, since you wished the opportunity to still prove yourselves to me. To be born in your time of writing is a miscalculation; but to die in it is a joy. I can forgive you for being inconsistent with your story about Frank Herbert's notes, for confusing the Dune universe to such a ghastly state, for jealously guarding the copyright for yourself, for covering up for your many mistakes while writing the books, and for befouling the realm of sci-fi even more than it already has been. But one thing I cannot forgive -- the boredom of having to read your books, your second-rate stories, and your mediocre writing style. Adhere to your special gifts, BH and KJA -- making messes, and covering them up. Mutilate your lives and business practices if you must; but with my last breath I beg you -- do not mutilate the art of writing novels. Fare well, but compose no more fiction. Brutalize your readers, but do not bore them, as you have bored to death your persistent follower, the late Jacurutu User.
'...all those who took part in the rise and fall of the Dune project learned how to fall one and one thousand times with savage obstinacy until learning how to stand. I remember my old father who, while dying happy, said to me: "My son, in my life, I triumphed because I learned how to fail."' -Alejandro Jodorowsky
Serkanner
Administrator

Post by Serkanner »

:clap:

and wrote a Dune Novel."
Hunchback Jack

Post by Hunchback Jack »

So it's out, I guess. Just saw a copy in a bookstore.

My indifference was overwhelming.

HBJ
"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
- Carl Sagan

I'm still very proud of The Quarry but … let's face it; in the end the real best way to sign off would have been with a great big rollicking Culture novel.
- Iain Banks
Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

It begins
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

There's already a review on Goodreads: http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1791 ... ts-of-dune" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
lotek

Post by lotek »

Where is thejak's about?

Clint's review is quite relevant, in a not on purpose kind of way.
On one side is Joseph Venport, and other like minded individuals, who embrace technology and all the benefits derived from it, without fear. On the other side is the Half Manford, and all of his fanatical Butlerian followers, who prey upon people's fear of the thinking machines, and demand the destruction of all advanced technology (except the stuff they find useful), claiming that it is the will of their God.
Manicheism anyone?
Plus, do I get a subtle vibe that the BT are the bad guys or what? (kja subtle of course)

I never got the impression that the BT was full of retarded Luddites when I read Dune, on the contrary it felt like they reached an understanding of what being human means so deep we needed a Science Fiction writer to be able to describe it without having to detail it. Yeah, Frank Herbert does that, which is why we love Dune so much. (and hate the wannabes' dictajerk-off the more so)

Also, wtf is the Half Manford?

EDIT TO ADD
Wish I hadn't looked, apparently it comes from Shitterhood?

Bonus lol

"Damn you and your stupid fear of what you are afraid... of..."
Robspierre

Post by Robspierre »

Keirh's Special Forces are falling down on the job. No reviews yet up on Amazon. Maybe they used words that the fans droids couldn't understand?

Rob
Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

The worst part of this is that Manford's Jihad are the OBVIOUS BAD GUY. But we know in Dune that the Jihad's philosophy didn't just win, it was so widely accepted that it lasted for thousands of years, and Frank argues that there were good reasons for why.

Venport...the "good guy", has a growing monopoly, and yet no where in Dune does it ever mention the Guild being owned by anyone. Or having any kind of conflict with the Jihad. Or anyone ever mentioning ever that spaceships went against the Jihad. Probably because the Jihad didn't have any problem with human navigators using their own minds to do the heavy work. There certainly wasn't any problem with mechanical technology that helped with physical labor.

No bad guys bad, capitalist good. technology bad...except spaceships which are a necessary evil.

I would also bring up the legal repercussions of religious fanatics murdering thousands and destroying billions of solaris worth of property. Oh, the Emperor is a spineless wimp...I guess that explains it...but, well...in THAT case, why the hell isn't he assassinated and kicked out by an usurper? Because the Corrino's have ruled for thousands of ....aww fuck it.

SO we have 2 very hard situations to conclude here, and no reason to give the author any credit at all in coming to a solution that fits with the originals. And these are CORE elements of the plot. We aren't talking a one off mention of a clone who can now turn into a worm at will...

We are talking about the pivotal conflict of the entire trilogy being based off something that is completely wrong and if we follow it to the obvious conclusion it has set up it brings us to a situation that is the COMPLETE OPPOSITE of the original work.

And yes, the Half-Manford comes from the fact that Manford has no legs and gets carried around by his fanatically loyal female Swordmaster Nayala. Sorry, wait, no, her name is [Something] Idaho.

Have I also mentioned that what level of technology is acceptable to the Butlerians seems to change anytime someone mentions it.

I don't think I'll do a full notes run for this book...I don't think I can, because it.literally.is.not.Dune. I will be finishing it and doing a review...but so far... I mean....

Well here:

From Chapter 1:

Gilbertus said: "We are a small school for the development and improvement of the Human mind. Mentats pose no threat to anyone...I am stating a fact. We have run many projections and developed defenses against all likely scenarios. It is what a Mentat is trained to do, my Lord."
"We have installed additional defenses. We can protect your sister-and all of our students."
As if to challenge his assertion, a commotion occured out in the swamp. A spine-necked reptile lunged out of the brownish water where the Mentat Students were picking their way across the submerged stones. The creature snatched the nearest student in its long jaws and dragged her into the deeper channel. Both predator and prey vanished as swiftly as a glimmer of sunlight on rippled water. The Mentat students sprang together, ready to defend themselves, but the swamp dragon already had its meal and was gone.

wait...sorry I typed that wrong...that whole part about him saying: "I am stating a fact. We have run many projections and developed defenses against all likely scenarios. It is what a Mentat is trained to do, my Lord." comes right after the student was eaten by local fauna.

my bad.
lotek

Post by lotek »

Yeah how can someone get it so wrong I wonder, unless you're plagued with some form of mental illness that attacks the part of the brain that controls common sense or something...
It's like all the clichés have had an orgy and their unholy child was spread across the pages of nudune for the world to see.

You definitely can sense that if the jihad are the bad guys, it's because they're the bad guys in our world and a dictahiker only writes the back of his mind, no conscious control over the major plot directions, just the feeling that if you said it, it must be genius.

The Half Manford
Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

Oh for Fuck's Sake.

Captain Phillips is in Dune now. To be fair, its just his name, I haven't gotten into his story, but if he gets captured by pirates I do think I should bring it to someone in the legal profession's attention.

And Vorian's story arc begins with him dealing with the irony of being a legendary figure who has to deal with having an infected toenail.

Sorry, I meant to try not to bring up every bit of idiocy I came across, but when you are reading something and literally vocalize "Oh for fuck's sake" then I think it has to be shared.
lotek

Post by lotek »

I laughed nervously.
Kind of an ingrown laugh.
Serkanner
Administrator

Post by Serkanner »

Ampoliros wrote:Oh for Fuck's Sake.

Captain Phillips is in Dune now. To be fair, its just his name, I haven't gotten into his story, but if he gets captured by pirates I do think I should bring it to someone in the legal profession's attention.

And Vorian's story arc begins with him dealing with the irony of being a legendary figure who has to deal with having an infected toenail.

Sorry, I meant to try not to bring up every bit of idiocy I came across, but when you are reading something and literally vocalize "Oh for fuck's sake" then I think it has to be shared.
I don't know what to say ... do I applaud you for your bravery or scold you for you insanity reading these books.

and wrote a Dune Novel."
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

okay, so there ARE dragons in this thing?
like, ultra-seadragons or what-ever?
................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
how to fully interact with people.
~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

http://www.amazon.com/Mentats-Dune-Bria ... 0765322749" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
how to fully interact with people.
~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008
Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

I am seriously wondering if the "Write Dune Book" script is broken...I want to say this one is phoned in, even for the hack.

but

I swear its like it was written by a spastic psychopathic child...it just seems to go in circles faster and faster and faster...and yet slower. I mean I'm seriously feeling worry over KJA's mental state here. I am starting to think that he is a psychopath, and I'm not joking about that, but also one with severe ADHD.

Like I said earlier the entire core plot of this book is completely flawed, and that's when its being consistent.

I will start a list of obvious DVD's he watched while editing/dictating:

Captain Phillips
Sherlock

more to come.