Mentats of Dune

Moderators: Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ, Omphalos

Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Mentats of Dune

Post by Freakzilla »

It's happening again...

http://kjablog.com/?p=4271" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
We have finished the penultimate draft of the 173,000 word manuscript, it’s been accepted by the US and UK publishers, and I have one final round of minor editing changes to incorporate before it goes into full copy-editing and production. The novel is scheduled for release in March 2014.
Send men to summon worms.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Freakzilla

Re: Mentats of Dune

Post by Freakzilla »

For MENTATS OF DUNE, Brian and I decided we would like to see a scene of the imposing, isolated Mentat school built by Gilbertus Albans out in the dangerous marshy wilderness of Lampadas. We sent Steve parts of the draft manuscript describing the building complex and suggested having a Mentat candidate appearing at the gate like a supplicant, looking up at the giant, intriguing buildings. The Mentat school is protected by a broad lake, and candidates can approach across the water by knowing where to find barely submerged and invisible stepping stones.
More magic pools.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

For MENTATS OF DUNE, Brian and I decided we would like to see a scene of the imposing, isolated Mentat school built by Gilbertus Albans out in the dangerous marshy wilderness of Lampadas. We sent Steve parts of the draft manuscript describing the building complex and suggested having a Mentat candidate appearing at the gate like a supplicant, looking up at the giant, intriguing buildings. The Mentat school is protected by a broad lake, and candidates can approach across the water by knowing where to find barely submerged and invisible stepping stones.
I bet that bridge on the left side helps people trying to cross too.

Well, at least we know that the illustrator listens as well as the authors do to the comments of others.

Since supplicants are walking across the water, I vote that we refer to this one as 'Jesus of Dune.'

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

I wonder if Gilbertus' glutes will be as finely sculpted as they were in years past? A lot of time has gone by, you know.

Goodnight Golden Path!
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Geez. It's amazing how quickly all of this comes back to me! :D

Goodnight Golden Path!
SadisticCynic

Post by SadisticCynic »

Is... is that a dragon flying in the distance? :(
Ah English, the language where pretty much any word can have any meaning! - A Thing of Eternity
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

SadisticCynic wrote:Is... is that a dragon flying in the distance? :(
LOL, I didn't even notice that. Once everyone forgets this book, Youll can sell it again to some fantasy author.
~Pink Snowman
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

BTW, I'm still the top poster on Dunenovels and I haven't made a post in almost 8 years. FTW!!
~Pink Snowman
lotek

Post by lotek »

For MENTATS OF DUNE, Brian and I decided we would like to see a scene of the imposing, isolated Mentat school built by Gilbertus Albans
Who?
Spice is the worm's gonads.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

lotek wrote:
For MENTATS OF DUNE, Brian and I decided we would like to see a scene of the imposing, isolated Mentat school built by Gilbertus Albans
Who?
Simulflow poured it through her awareness: Order of Mentats, founded by
Gilbertus Albans; temporary sanctuary with Bene Tleilax who hoped to incorporate
them into Tleilaxu hegemony; spread into uncounted "seed schools"; suppressed by
Leto II because they formed a nucleus of independent opposition; spread into the
Scattering after the Famine.

~CH:D
~Pink Snowman
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Freakzilla wrote:BTW, I'm still the top poster on Dunenovels and I haven't made a post in almost 8 years. FTW!!
Naw, not eight years man. This board was founded five years ago.

Goodnight Golden Path!
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Freakzilla wrote:
lotek wrote:
Who?
Gilbertus Albans; temporary sanctuary with Bene Tleilax who hoped to incorporate
them into Tleilaxu hegemony; spread into uncounted "seed schools"; suppressed by
Leto II because they formed a nucleus of independent opposition; spread into the

Oh, but made so, so much more interesting by the Hacks Twain! Gilbertus Albans was Erasmus' boyish love-slave. I think.

Goodnight Golden Path!
Naïve mind

Post by Naïve mind »

Omphalos wrote: Well, at least we know that the illustrator listens as well as the authors do to the comments of others.
Don't have time to come up with something witty, link instead:

Why do authors pick such awful covers?
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Omphalos wrote:
Freakzilla wrote:
lotek wrote:
Who?

Oh, but made so, so much more interesting by the Hacks Twain! Gilbertus Albans was Erasmus' boyish love-slave. I think.
Yeah, he had a butt that drove Nazi doctor robots wild! :puke:
~Pink Snowman
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Omphalos wrote:
Freakzilla wrote:BTW, I'm still the top poster on Dunenovels and I haven't made a post in almost 8 years. FTW!!
Naw, not eight years man. This board was founded five years ago.
LOL, Oops! Looks like my last post was Sep 05, 2008, so... yeah. :oops:
~Pink Snowman
Jodorowsky's Acolyte

Post by Jodorowsky's Acolyte »

I'm not too excited by their new prelude books. I'd much rather see the Dune Concordance get published, for I've waiting for it since 19-freaking-99 when I first read Brian's Afterward to House Atreides. It does disappoint me now that I am a disillusioned, brooding 26 year old now and no longer the helplessly talkative 11-12 year old I once was to see that Brian and Kevin weren't the real genuine article. I haven't even got around to reading Hunters and Sandworms yet because some bad written dialogue or quickly written plot points might irritate me. The Butlerian Jihad was too pulp for me to finish. Even though it's highly doubted that they do have any of Frank's notes, that naive child in me still wants to believe that they did have the notes, as stupid as it sounds. As I've written before, I liked the original House trilogy better, even with it's hyperactive style of bad writing and tendency to fizzle out quickly. My Dad thinks Paul of Dune has some good qualities, so I might give it a try at some point. I feel like there needs to be a up-to-date official parody of the Dune series, the equivalent of National Lampoon's Doon, to remind the sci-fi audience why the Dune series is great as well as point out the flaws of K and B (Jacurutu's fan parodies are definitely spot on). It makes me wish Ben "Yahtzee" Croshaw was commissioned to write a new official parody, or someone like him.

I still think of wanting to rewrite the entire Prelude to Dune trilogy into one epic, which keeps much of the crazy plot points, but do it with better writing in the vein of Herbert's first Dune and last Dune books. Doing something like that could serve as an exercise on getting the feel of improving and expanding upon simple or flawed stories. Then there's my Meddlers of Dune idea, which is less of a parody of K and B's writing style and more of Herbertian/Heinleinian satire on how modern writers constantly revise and retell already well done stories for better or for worse. That's what I would intend it to be, if I ever got to concentrate and work on it. Meanwhile, I got an English Grad thesis on John Dryden to expand upon.

If there was another book I'd want to see Keven and Brian write, it would be The Orange Catholic Bible of Dune. Not really a book about how it came to be written, but the actual Orange Catholic Bible. I want see if they can actually succeed in writing fictional religious text which are consistent with the tenets resulting from the Butlerian Jihad and demonstrates the different kinds of religions incorporated into that Bible by C.E.T. That, or a Dune book which attempts to retell the Dune saga in the manner of a campy Flash Gordon serial. Imagine the reactions such potential installments would arise.
'...all those who took part in the rise and fall of the Dune project learned how to fall one and one thousand times with savage obstinacy until learning how to stand. I remember my old father who, while dying happy, said to me: "My son, in my life, I triumphed because I learned how to fail."' -Alejandro Jodorowsky
lotek

Post by lotek »

Freakzilla wrote:
Omphalos wrote:
Freakzilla wrote:
lotek wrote:
Who?

Yeah, he had a butt that drove Nazi doctor robots wild! :puke:
Thx for the quote, I was afraid I only remembered the horror of dr mengelbot...
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

LOL, it is! :lol:
~Pink Snowman
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Is that robot punching John McCain?

Goodnight Golden Path!
lotek

Post by lotek »

It's his space circus cousin, Gilbertus McCain
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Omphalos wrote:Is that robot punching John McCain?
That's so funny, I wondered the exact same thing! :lol:
~Pink Snowman
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Freakzilla wrote:
Omphalos wrote:Is that robot punching John McCain?
That's so funny, I wondered the exact same thing! :lol:
It's the jowls.

Goodnight Golden Path!
lotek

Post by lotek »

lotek

Post by lotek »

http://bridgeofhrethgir.mymiddleearth.c ... mment-1478" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
lotek says:
Your comment is awaiting moderation.
November 21, 2013 at 10:50 am
I wonder if they’ll be sorceress-ers from the magical circus of cyborgs in jars.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

I know I say this every time but I can't imagine how they could possibly top their previous hackery.

Oh, I know... EVERYONE is a ghola of themselves...

No... a parallel robot dimension... yeah, that's where the Normacle sent the robot fleet.
~Pink Snowman