National Novel Writing Month (NaNoWriMo), anyone done it?

Moderators: Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ, Omphalos

Sardaukar Capt

National Novel Writing Month (NaNoWriMo), anyone done it?

Post by Sardaukar Capt »

This is coming up in November, has anyone ever participated or planning to? A novel is on my bucket list and while I'm far from needing to work on that list this yearly event gives me a good excuse to start early for that particular item at least. Finishing GEoD again recently, Frank Herbert's writing always inspires me to want to write. Not that I'm any kind of author by any stretch, the beauty of NaNoWriMo is writing something novel-length in 30 days. 50K words minimum in one month, quantity over quality, but in a very non-tehHack kind of way. The purpose is to inspire writers to just get writing with editing and refining later.

While they accept any type or genre of novel and being a member here, Dune fan-fic may appear to be an obvious choice, I don't think I will desecrate Frank's work with my "writing" (non) skills. Sci-Fi is definitely where I'm leaning though.

http://nanowrimo.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The name Atreides was also consciously chosen. It is the family name of Agamemnon. Says Herbert, "I wanted a sense of monumental aristocracy, but with tragedy hanging over them--and in our culture, Agamemnon personifies that."
Frank Herbert by Tim O'Reilly
http://tim.oreilly.com/herbert/

Ghanima said. "We Atreides go back to Agamemnon..."
Distracted, Irulan asked: "Who's Agamemnon?"

Children of Dune by Frank Herbert

WTF? A BG forgets the Titans?! :)
Naïve mind

Re: National Novel Writing Month (NaNoWriMo), anyone done it?

Post by Naïve mind »

I'd love to write more, but apart from living in the wrong nation, I can't imagine having the time for it ...

(and yes, I do manage to find the time to write long, stupid posts on a bulletin board. Priorities mixed up, I suppose)
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Seems interesting, but honestly I get so tired of FB friends who do nothing but brag about their daily word count, I just don't want to be a part of that gang.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
Sardaukar Capt

Post by Sardaukar Capt »

Naïve mind wrote:I'd love to write more, but apart from living in the wrong nation, I can't imagine having the time for it ...

(and yes, I do manage to find the time to write long, stupid posts on a bulletin board. Priorities mixed up, I suppose)
Doesn't matter what country live in. Its basically an exercise that challenges people to make time, get to writing, and more importantly finish a first draft novel no matter how good or bad.

http://nanowrimo.org/en/regions" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Omphalos wrote:Seems interesting, but honestly I get so tired of FB friends who do nothing but brag about their daily word count, I just don't want to be a part of that gang.
I hear that although I'm looking at the "contest" as motivation to start and finish a work.
The name Atreides was also consciously chosen. It is the family name of Agamemnon. Says Herbert, "I wanted a sense of monumental aristocracy, but with tragedy hanging over them--and in our culture, Agamemnon personifies that."
Frank Herbert by Tim O'Reilly
http://tim.oreilly.com/herbert/

Ghanima said. "We Atreides go back to Agamemnon..."
Distracted, Irulan asked: "Who's Agamemnon?"

Children of Dune by Frank Herbert

WTF? A BG forgets the Titans?! :)
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Sardaukar Capt wrote:I hear that although I'm looking at the "contest" as motivation to start and finish a work.
You and everyone else.

I don't think writing is a social activity. It's a personal one, at least for me. If I start thinking about people who are going to read what I'm working on, or even posting about my day writing later, things just go out the window. I would bet that some are motivated by the social aspect of this group, but I'm not one.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
Redstar

Post by Redstar »

I've heard of the event and have even known those who participated in it, but have never done so myself. Maybe this will be my first year.