Greetings and salutations

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

cafihapa

Greetings and salutations

Post by cafihapa »

I'm a long term dune fan, and figured I'd make an account.

Was wondering what the protocol was on posting topics - do I need to search all of the archives to see if it's been mentioned before, or can I just cast a cursory glance and then post?

Anyway, looking forward to some serious discussion.

Will check back in a day to see if you guys are still active or if it's an absolute ghost town :3

cafihapa
Serkanner
Administrator

Re: Greetings and salutations

Post by Serkanner »

Welcome Home!

There are many topics about almost any subject of the Dune universe. I think it is best to revive an old topic instead of starting a new one.
"... the mystery of life isn't a problem to solve but a reality to experience."

“There is no escape—we pay for the violence of our ancestors.”

Sandrider: "Keith went to Bobo's for a weekend of drinking, watched some DVDs,
and wrote a Dune Novel."
cafihapa

Post by cafihapa »

Ahh, so you'd recommend digging through all the old posts to make sure nothing on that topic has been posted before?

I tend to be fairly long winded on things I'm interested in, so, lengthy posts and sourced from the canonical six.

I'm hoping I can get some attention here, before I go off into a long rant only to have three other sets of eyes read it - are there many people that lurk, but don't post? The forums seem to be wastelands, mostly..

Thanks!

cafihapa
cafihapa

Post by cafihapa »

Is there a compendium of the slang people are using in some of the posts? For example, I read "normacle" somewhere, and I'm inferring they're referring to Norma Cenva in the bastardization of the prequels..? I only read a few before I gave up. Anyway, I guess I'll get most things contextually from the posts, but I was wondering if there was a group of the slang/short hand being used, or, perhaps, should I take the time to note it as I see it and make a reference post?

Thanks!
Tleszer

Post by Tleszer »

Welcome! :orcs-buttshake:
DUNE, as interpreted by a blue man with a green tushie
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Hi there cafihapa. We tend to be pretty low key about most things here. You can post the way you want and not many people will call you on it. so dig up old topics or start new ones. though if you start a new topic about something we have beaten to death we will likely at least refer you to an olde thread, but even then your new topic will probably get a bunch of comments anyway. That being said, be prepared to back up arguments with text, especially if you tend stray outside the boundaries with your opinions. That is aobut the only thing we are dogmatic about. Nobody will fault you if you can support your postions with text. If you can't do that, any you have opinions you want to share, well, I suspect that won't last long.

As for a glossary, no such luck. Most of the morlocks around here have followed a jihad that has raged across at least ten prior Dune-focused discussion boards. There'd be no way to put it all into one handy page.

Feel free to try though if you like, once you have wallowed through this place enough.

And yes, "normacle" refers to the hacks twain dea ex feculentia.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

Welcome to Larrytown.
................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
how to fully interact with people.
~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008
cafihapa

Post by cafihapa »

Hurrah!

The board yet lives.

To me, only the six books Frank wrote mean anything. It's obvious to anyone that's read Dune and the other five canonical books that his son and KJA didn't have access to any supposed notes about Dune 7, or if they did, it was spice beer induced chicken scratch running to a page an a half (even they aren't stupid enough to realize that anything they published claiming to be his notes for 7 would be submitted to textual criticism.)

I've posted a fairly lengthy continuation to the Kwisatz Haderach thread, and would be interested in some feedback and responses, etc, before I end up spending another hour or two whipping up another post in another topic - I like to be thorough.

Oh! What's the etiquette on edits? New post, edit the old one, or edit the old one and then timestamp when you made the edit?

Thanks!
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

Edit if you want. I usually only edit mine within a few seconds to minutes after I made the original post. After that I'll just post a correction. But that's just me.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman