HBO adaption of the Dune series?

Moderators: Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ, Omphalos

Sonic Titan

HBO adaption of the Dune series?

Post by Sonic Titan »

After the success of game of thrones, would it be possible that the dune series would be benefit from being adapted into a long running fleshed out TV series?

I personally believe that if done properly, 10 or 12 HBO style episodes in a series could be quite easily introduce the back story along with the twists and turns of the original Dune novel. Dune messiah and Children of Dune would naturally continue the series. The one massive advantage of a potential HBO adaption is their confidence in handling hard hitting scenes need a faithful portrayal.
inhuien

Re: HBO adaption of the Dune series?

Post by inhuien »

There's already been a couple of mini-series taking the saga up to the end of CoD, that's not to say it shouldn't be done again and better.
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

I think HBO would be a better venue than The Channel Formerly Known as SciFi.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
lotek

Post by lotek »

They do have a good track record.
Spice is the worm's gonads.
Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

I always thought Dune needed a larger T&A budget....

Yes, HBO would be the proper forum, and i've always felt like Dune would make a great hour-blocked show, but you have to remember who the executive ultra-creative director(s) would be...
Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
lotek

Post by lotek »

Tell me about it...
There's no escaping that moron, is there...
Sonic Titan

Post by Sonic Titan »

Ampoliros wrote:I always thought Dune needed a larger T&A budget....

Yes, HBO would be the proper forum, and i've always felt like Dune would make a great hour-blocked show, but you have to remember who the executive ultra-creative director(s) would be...
Yeah in my view a good TV adaption could capture the slow building tension and mystic that is carried throughout the novel. I.e Atreides/Harkonnen rivalry, Paul and Jessica taking refuge with the Fremen, Feyd-Rautha/Glossu Rabben conflict, Water of Life etc. I'd also really love to see the visual/environmental depth of Arrakis explored.
lotek

Post by lotek »

As Amp' said, anyone redoing Dune would have to put fucking cymeks and that brains in jars shit.

A bit like the old saying, better to be alone than in bad company, well here better no Dune than feeling the desperation tainted with rage I felt when I unwittingly read the drivel they call nudune.