2.5 Million Planets

Moderators: Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ, Omphalos

Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Re: 2.5 Million Planets

Post by Freakzilla »

Visigoth wrote:I don't place to much confidence in my math, or comprehension, but the way AppendixII of Dune reads to me:
At that time in the Universe there were 13,333,333 Worlds in the Landsraad.

Does anyone knows the year of the riots or the year the C.E.T. took place.

There was a timeline somewhere here:-)
The C.E.T seems to have been very soon, if not immediately after the Butlerian Jihad.

JIHAD, BUTLERIAN: (see also Great Revolt) -- the crusade against computers,
thinking machines, and conscious robots begun in 201 B.G. and concluded in 108
B.G.
Its chief commandment remains in the O.C. Bible as "Thou shalt not make a
machine in the likeness of a human mind."
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Re: Re:2.5 Million Planets

Post by SandChigger »

Visigoth wrote:13,333,333 Worlds in the Landsraad League.
Sorry, but no:
Historians estimate the riots took eighty million lives. That works out to about six thousand for each world then in the Landsraad League.
80,000,000 / 6,000 = 13,333.33...

Human space was still a relatively small part of the galaxy, even after 11,000 years. (I prefer the think that this was because there was a long period of no FTL travel but that spacefolding was discovered before the Jihad, allowing for more rapid expansion and the formation of things like the Imperium and the Landsraad. ;) )
chuck_boris

Post by chuck_boris »

so, 108 years after the end of the Jihad, the Guild took monopoly over space travel. And, given the fact that the event was marked as the 0 point of the new counting system, I guess it was a bigger deal than even the Butlerian Jihad itself. The only reason I can think of being the exponential growth in the number of colonised planets.

P.S. do you ever wonder if every time someone posts the word 'Jihad' on the web some intelligence agency checks it out to see if they are terrorists planning an attack? :D
lotek

Post by lotek »

I'm actually working under cover for the CIA.

Oops.
Spice is the worm's gonads.
Visigoth

Post by Visigoth »

SandChigger wrote:
Sorry, but no:
Historians estimate the riots took eighty million lives. That works out to about six thousand for each world then in the Landsraad League.

Human space was still a relatively small part of the galaxy, even after 11,000 years. (I prefer the think that this was because there was a long period of no FTL travel but that spacefolding was discovered before the Jihad, allowing for more rapid expansion and the formation of things like the Imperium and the Landsraad. ;) )
O.k.
Timelines are fun to me, but I get dizzy thinking about them. Where does the 2.5 million # fits in the timeline?
ImageImageImage
Visigoth

Post by Visigoth »

lotek wrote:I'm actually working under cover for the CIA.

Oops.

Now you will have to kill us all! But since you smoke a spliff everyday, I'm not counting on it. And being a Frank, you probably lost your axe.
ImageImageImage
inhuien

Post by inhuien »

Visigoth wrote:
SandChigger wrote:
Sorry, but no:

O.k.
Timelines are fun to me, but I get dizzy thinking about them. Where does the 2.5 million # fits in the timeline?
Read the 1st post.
Visigoth

Post by Visigoth »

inhuien wrote:
Visigoth wrote:
SandChigger wrote:
Sorry, but no:

O.k.
Read the 1st post.
Right! :doh:
ImageImageImage
leagued

Post by leagued »

Why the assumption that the Empire doubled in size under Leto II from Paul's time? Isn't that contrary to Leto's plan to keep humanity cooped up and confined until they could burst forth in the Scattering?
I don't question the 2.5 million calculation (seems reasonable, though 6 beefy women in a square meter could get really crowded). I think it makes more sense to question the 1 million under Paul; if all we're basing that on is what the HM called the Old Empire then that's pretty flimsy. I think that was just a name that had stuck with them because it sounded good. There are enough quotes in the thread already showing why it wasn't accurate.
But I do disagree with the prevailing opinion on this thread that Leto II expanded the Old Empire by any great amount.
LeagueD