Are you all ready for turkey day?

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

Eyes High
Patience Personified

Re: Are you all ready for turkey day?

Post by Eyes High »

Sounds interesting, but I think I'll just stick to my roaster oven. We will be having Thanksgiving dinner on Saturday with my Mother-n-law, my youngest brother-n-law, his fiancee, and his kids.

Originally I was going to just stay at home Thursday or maybe catch a movie with Spiff and my youngest son; however, I received a surprise today -- a phone call from my father inviting us to his place for Thanksgiving on Thursday. So it looks like I'll be having some Turkey, chicken & pastry, and the fixins on the actually day after all.

Although, I have to admit -- I'm a little worried about my father now...this makes the second phone call from him in one week. The first was a big enough shock, this second makes me wonder if there is something he is not telling me about his health. I guess I'll find out Thursday if he doesn't cancel on us.

Happy T-Day everybody.
What fear is there in the night?
Nothing, but that which is in our own imaginations.
trang

Post by trang »

I have dug myself, put myself over a barrel (relationship choices), this fine holiday season, so it would take four screens full to explain how complicated where I might or might not frequent on this turkey day and coming celebration of the birth of the Jesus. Simplified, to me, its just another dam day, of the 365 (and a 1/4 or 1/2 which ever it is).

John Wayne .. hmm well SR, I believe if you dive into the past/personal life of any person your gonna find gems like you have mentioned. Nothing is what it appears, nothing, always complicated, that is the model of American life, complicated.

I never have really cared about the personal life of those types, (other than drawing the line at molesters), and the anointing of a particular figure to ICON status, never really demonstrated any wisdom, foresight, or depth of the American public, quite the reverse actually.

Considering the average American cant read anything longer than the instructions on the back of a soup can (and even then they are looking for shortcuts ands skip steps) and wants everything no more complicated than a toaster, I'm kind of oblivious on purpose.

I like John Wayne's movies. Nixon was a fucker. James Bond is cool. Lincoln wasn't to shabby a fellow. Depends on the union, haven't seen an Indian (American West type) in so long, was beginning to wonder if they are extinct.

Anyhow.. I wish everyone a happy and simple Turkey day:)
"Long Live the Fighters", "Dragon.....the other white meat."

Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

We'll be dragging the whole tribe one of my sister-in-laws houses, where we'll eat with all five sisters, their kids and their parents.

Hopefully, we'll take two cars.

:puke:
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Redstar

Post by Redstar »

I don't really like turkey, so I'm hoping for some chicken at this year's get-together (which will consist of as little as three family members). But, as long as there's stuffing and gravy, I'll make do.

Also, I'm sick. Very badly. All from hanging out with my brothers after over a month of absence.
chanilover

Post by chanilover »

Freakzilla wrote:We'll be dragging the whole tribe one of my sister-in-laws houses, where we'll eat with all five sisters, their kids and their parents.

Will you and your father-in-law be the only guys there, surrounded by all those women? That could be rough.
"You and your buddies and that b*tch Mandy are nothing but a gang of lying, socially maladjusted losers." - St Hypatia of Arrakeen.
Hunchback Jack

Post by Hunchback Jack »

Laura and I are both foreigners, so it just me, her and Nathan (our son, home from college). We don't do anything too outrageous - turkey etc. for lunch/dinner (whenever it's done), TV or movie after, shopping the next day :).

Bird and fixin's are all bought, oven's clean, son en route as I type this. It's getting close.

Have a good one, everyone. Give thanks, and give others reason to thank you.

HBJ
"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
- Carl Sagan

I'm still very proud of The Quarry but … let's face it; in the end the real best way to sign off would have been with a great big rollicking Culture novel.
- Iain Banks
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Hunchback Jack wrote:...and give others reason to thank you.
"I really do have love to give! I just don't know where to put it!"

Gobble-gobble! :)
Hunchback Jack

Post by Hunchback Jack »

Heh. Well, double-entendres notwithstanding, I hope you all had a good one.

HBJ
"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
- Carl Sagan

I'm still very proud of The Quarry but … let's face it; in the end the real best way to sign off would have been with a great big rollicking Culture novel.
- Iain Banks
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

chanilover wrote:
Freakzilla wrote:We'll be dragging the whole tribe one of my sister-in-laws houses, where we'll eat with all five sisters, their kids and their parents.

Will you and your father-in-law be the only guys there, surrounded by all those women? That could be rough.
I never made it, but no, all of her sisters but one are married (to men) and the yougest sister has two sons.

My wife gave me shitty directions, like: take exit from the highway that goes to Athens, then turn left at the Kroger. She doesn't use street names. One of my tires started going flat so I gave up and went home. The wife and kids stayed at the sister's that night and are visint the wife's friend and her children today. My buddy is supposed to come over for some cooking. I hope so, I need a ride to the Firestone to get my tire fixed. I always by the road hazzard protection so it should be free.

I bet we can get turkey pretty cheap today, he mentioned frying one.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

Freakzilla wrote:She doesn't use street names.
Maddening, isn't it?

A few years ago, I finally looked at my wife and said: "These people we're trying to find? Does their house have a goddamn number? Does their street have a name?"

Ever since, she knows I'll just insist on having the relevant information before I start the car. I'm way past this "take a left at the rusted Chevy" nonsense.
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
Eyes High
Patience Personified

Post by Eyes High »

TheDukester wrote:
Freakzilla wrote:She doesn't use street names.
Maddening, isn't it?

A few years ago, I finally looked at my wife and said: "These people we're trying to find? Does their house have a goddamn number? Does their street have a name?"

Ever since, she knows I'll just insist on having the relevant information before I start the car. I'm way past this "take a left at the rusted Chevy" nonsense.

I thought men liked using landmarks ar direction indicators. :mrgreen:

I know men that when I tell them a street name they say: "What is that near?" or either "Is that the road by the old Chevrolet place?"
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

That's a female myth.

(And the reason we don't stop and ask directions is because most people are stupid. :P )
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

I'm even more insistent about it now that even basic cell phones can do GPS/Google Maps and that sort of thing.

If I've never been there before, I don't leave the house without an address (and without taking 30 seconds to punch the numbers into the phone). I don't think it's a lot to ask.
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Landmarks are fine if you're navigating cross-country (and usually targeted by enemy artillery :wink: ) but after talking to my wife about it, I wasn't on the road the landmark was supposed to be on.

The thing that really pisses me off about the whole thing, besides the flat tire and the enormous waste of gas, is I didn't have a cell phone... because of my wife. I gave her one bill to pay a few months ago with her $900/mo from child support from her first marriage. She uses it to buy food and gas but there's no way it could add up to $900/mo. A couple of months ago my phone was cut off so I called the phone company to find out why and the bill hadn't been payed in three months. She gives all her money to her parents who hold it for her, at least that's what she tells me. She says her dad had been paying the bill for her with his credit card and deducting the money from her account. So the one time I really needed a cell phone I didn't have it. The whole issue with her money really bothers me. I use all of my money on the mortage and bills minus some occasional beer or whiskey, I even buy her cigarettes but she contributes none of hers except for hot dogs, balogna, bread and little bit of gas for her car. Whenever I ask her to contribute she says she owes her parents money. I think she's lying.

:x

I meant to look up the route online but but was running late and forgot.
~Pink Snowman
trang

Post by trang »

Personally always had an natural sense of direction. I can understand freaks situation for sure. I can do either landmarks or street names. Don't even mind lat and long with cell phone now. I don't use GPS but phone is capable. Sorry ya had such a rotton set of circumstances there freak. Hope ya get your tire fixed and all set. Won't comment on the finance part... battling and have battled similar situation.
"Long Live the Fighters", "Dragon.....the other white meat."

A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

Freakzilla wrote:Landmarks are fine if you're navigating cross-country (and usually targeted by enemy artillery :wink: ) but after talking to my wife about it, I wasn't on the road the landmark was supposed to be on.

The thing that really pisses me off about the whole thing, besides the flat tire and the enormous waste of gas, is I didn't have a cell phone... because of my wife. I gave her one bill to pay a few months ago with her $900/mo from child support from her first marriage. She uses it to buy food and gas but there's no way it could add up to $900/mo. A couple of months ago my phone was cut off so I called the phone company to find out why and the bill hadn't been payed in three months. She gives all her money to her parents who hold it for her, at least that's what she tells me. She says her dad had been paying the bill for her with his credit card and deducting the money from her account. So the one time I really needed a cell phone I didn't have it. The whole issue with her money really bothers me. I use all of my money on the mortage and bills minus some occasional beer or whiskey, I even buy her cigarettes but she contributes none of hers except for hot dogs, balogna, bread and little bit of gas for her car. Whenever I ask her to contribute she says she owes her parents money. I think she's lying.

:x

I meant to look up the route online but but was running late and forgot.
Dude, you're my constant inspiration to get a vasectomy and never get married!
Hunchback Jack

Post by Hunchback Jack »

Eyes High wrote:I thought men liked using landmarks ar direction indicators. :mrgreen:
No.

No, no, no, no. And again, no.

*Women* like to use landmarks as navigation points. Men read maps. ;)

HBJ
- Carl Sagan

- Iain Banks
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

Too right.

Seriously: number ... street ... map. And off we go.

I actually stop listening now when the wife starts in with "it's down past where that 7-Eleven used to be; you know, over by Susie Snowflake's house?" I just tune it all out.

Number.

Street.

Map.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

TheDukester wrote:Too right.

Seriously: number ... street ... map. And off we go.

I actually stop listening now when the wife starts in with "it's down past where that 7-Eleven used to be; you know, over by Susie Snowflake's house?" I just tune it all out.

Number.

Street.

Map.
I gave her "that look" when she said, "you know that road that goes from 85 to Athens? Take that on turn left at the Kroger on the right." She even said, "I'm sorry, I don't know the street names," because she knows that pisses me off. I wrote down the address with the intent to at least look at the map knowing I don't trust her directions. I can't help but wonder if I subconsciously forgot to because I didn't want to go.

That's OK though, I've got two convicted felons on their way over to fry a turkey and make andouille sausage dressing. :dance:

If you don't hear from me again, we burned the house down. :wink:
~Pink Snowman
Eyes High
Patience Personified

Post by Eyes High »

Y'all be safe now. Ya hear? :mrgreen:

:romance-grouphug:
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

~Pink Snowman
Hunchback Jack

Post by Hunchback Jack »

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone! This board is one of the things I'm very thankful for.

HBJ
- Carl Sagan

- Iain Banks
Visigoth

Post by Visigoth »

Hunchback Jack wrote:
Eyes High wrote:I thought men liked using landmarks ar direction indicators. :mrgreen:
No.

No, no, no, no. And again, no.

*Women* like to use landmarks as navigation points. Men read maps. ;)

HBJ
And that's the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth! :auto-rally:

Happy Thanksgivings Day!

The best Holiday in the world!

I get to thank my imaginary (to you) friend.
ImageImageImage
Eyes High
Patience Personified

Post by Eyes High »

Hunchback Jack wrote:Happy Thanksgiving, everyone! This board is one of the things I'm very thankful for.

HBJ
I know I'm thankful for you and the others. Love ya my brothers, and sisters, of Dune.