Permission to come aboard, captain ?

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

Wormrider

Permission to come aboard, captain ?

Post by Wormrider »

Hello all,

Wormrider here, LOVE the original Dune cycle. Have done for years, the scope and imagination of Frank Herberts work stunned me. I was running low on reading material, and hadnt looked at Dune for quite a while so i picked up Winds of Dune, i am about two thirds through and struggling a bit to be honest. Its not that its rubbish, its just.....bleh. nothing seems to have happened. Oh wait, Paul ran away from home *yawn* and joined a...a.......a..circus ? I dont even, i mean..a circus? Cmon! Other than that, i may as well have been staring at a piece of cardboard because nothing of any note or importance seems to have transpired. Or did i just miss it? Wheres the intrigue, wheres the politics, wheres the memorable characters ? And i dont mean the ones that Frank Herbert created. I think im going to finish this book, and then re read the originals from thei start. Anyway rant over, im a bit of a newbie at forums so i tend to just lurk and watch. If youll have me.
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Re: Permission to come aboard, captain ?

Post by Freakzilla »

:text-welcomeconfetti: :text-welcomeconfetti:

I recommend not soiling your mind with the trash from those hacks. Rubbish is too good a word for it.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
ULFsurfer

Post by ULFsurfer »

Welcome Wormrider.

As Freak says, don't bother with those books - it's not worth it, not even for the reason to quench your curiosity. If you're short on reading material I can instead recommend you to take a look at Frank's other stories.
Serkanner
Administrator

Post by Serkanner »

Welcome Home!

I am sure you're not "Wormrider", from http://www.wormsscifi.com/haven/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... correct?
"... the mystery of life isn't a problem to solve but a reality to experience."

“There is no escape—we pay for the violence of our ancestors.”

Sandrider: "Keith went to Bobo's for a weekend of drinking, watched some DVDs,
and wrote a Dune Novel."
Wormrider

Post by Wormrider »

No, thats not me. I used to lurk on Dunenovels, but its pretty dead over there and google directed me here. i'll finish Winds, simply because i dislike leaving a book unfinished. But i'll probably erase it from my memory once done. Franks books are calling me, im going to have to start with DM because i have lent Dune to a friend. Cant wait to hear what he thinks of it.
Naïve mind

Post by Naïve mind »

Welcome!
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

Wormrider wrote:No, thats not me. I used to lurk on Dunenovels, but its pretty dead over there and google directed me here. i'll finish Winds, simply because i dislike leaving a book unfinished. But i'll probably erase it from my memory once done. Franks books are calling me, im going to have to start with DM because i have lent Dune to a friend. Cant wait to hear what he thinks of it.

Follow along in the Reading Group!
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
lotek

Post by lotek »

Welcome twice welcome!
Wormrider wrote:Other than that, i may as well have been staring at a piece of cardboard because nothing of any note or importance seems to have transpired. Or did i just miss it?
It tastes like cardboard too.
You didn't miss anything, because if you saw nothing you saw everything there was to see.
Spice is the worm's gonads.
Tleszer

Post by Tleszer »

Welcome! Image

As others have said it is best to steer clear of McDune. It taints all and no one remains unscathed.
DUNE, as interpreted by a blue man with a green tushie