Chapter 05

Moderators: Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ, Omphalos

Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Chapter 05

Post by Freakzilla »

Oh, the landscapes I have seen! And the people! The far wanderings of the Fremen
and all the rest of it. Even back through the myths to Terra. Oh, the lessons in
astronomy and intrigue, the migrations, the disheveled flights, the leg aching
and lung-aching runs through so many nights on all of those cosmic specks where
we have defended our transient possession. I tell you we are a marvel and my
memories leave no doubt of this.

-The Stolen Journals

Nayla types a report to Leto on a computer in her room, warning of Siona's dangerous activities, pleading him to release her from her vow of obedience to her. She thinks about a communication implant Leto put into her and it's possible violation of the Great Convention's proscription against computers. Nayla meets with Topri, whom she obviously dislikes, and Siona, who show her a poem Leto wrote when Ghani died along with a flower she gave him and a strand of her hair. Nayla confesses when pressed by Siona that she has sworn to Leto that she would obey Siona. Nayla experiences a test of faith when Siona doesn't react as she had expected her to. Siona believes that Leto's love and sentiment may be used against him.
Freakzilla

Re: Chapter 05

Post by Freakzilla »

Revised
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
keith

Post by keith »

Listening to the book on mp3 and I got the impression that Nayla speaks the truth but Siona understands her to mean something different than she actually means. Nayla says that she has sworn to God ... meaning Leto ... but understood by Siona to be some ideal (and not Leto).
And thanks much for these summaries. Really helps keep the story straight in my mind.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

I exist only to serve. :D
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
keith

Post by keith »

Thanks! So which do you think it is?
You wrote - Nayla confesses when pressed by Siona that she has sworn to Leto that she would obey Siona.
I understood that Nayla confessed obedience to God. She spoke the truth and hid it at the same time?
Thanks again!
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

I don't want to get ahead of the topic chapter but you must keep in mind, there is no "idea" of a god here, Leto is a living god and Siona was born and raised a Fish Speaker. I'm sure she knows that when Nayla says "god" she means Leto.
~Pink Snowman
georgiedenbro

Post by georgiedenbro »

What I like about this chapter is Siona's appreciation for Nayla.
"You must answer my question." Siona said. "I command it."
Nayla caught her breath. This was the dilemma she had most feared. There was no way out. She said a silent prayer and spoke in a low voice.
"I have sworn to God that I will obey you."
Siona clapped her hands in glee and laughed.
"I knew it!"
Topri chuckled.
"Shut up, Topri," Siona said. "I am trying to teach you a lesson. You don't believe in anything, not even in yourself."
"But I...
"Be still, I say! Nayla believes. I believe. This is what holds us together. Belief."
Topri was astonished. "Belief? You believe in. .."
"Not in the God Emperor, you fool! We believe that a higher power will settle with the tyrant worm. We are that higher power. "
Nayla took a trembling breath.
"It's all right, Nayla," Siona said. "I don't care where you draw your strength, just as long as you believe."
Nayla managed a smile, then grinned. She had never been more profoundly stirred by the wisdom of her Lord. I may speak the truth and it works only for my God!
This sentiment is a throwback to Leto I and Paul and what made them different from the Harkonnens and Corrinos. They didn't merely want to win power, they also believed in certain principles that stood outside the halls of power. This belief of theirs is presumably what drew fanatical followers to their cause, and what allowed Paul to become the Fremen messiah. Here Siona is saying that people who have real faith in some cause other than pure power, even if the causes are different, have more in common than people on the same side who believe in nothing. This suggestion reminds me somewhat of the BG idea of human vs non-human, although in this case the distinction is a matter of faith rather than neuro-muscular capability.
"um-m-m-ah-h-h-hm-m-m-m!"