Hey there...

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

Adam Masterman

Hey there...

Post by Adam Masterman »

My name's Adam, I was recommended this site after posting some fan art over on deviantArt. I'm a cartoonist/comiker; my current work is an all ages fantasy series that I'm developing for digital platforms.

I was 26 when I first read Dune, rather late in life, having read a lot of Orson Card, Robert Jordan, and various other authors in those genres. I actually found it difficult to get into Dune at first; the lingo was a bit confusing, and Dune is unique enough that I don't think I really had a brain space to put it in. Obviously, I needed to create a new one :) and I soon went through all the novels several times in a pretty short period. At this point, its such a powerful influence that I can't even imagine it not living inside my head. :)

I think of the series as a trilogy, followed by a standalone, followed by a novel in two books. Heretics and Chapterhouse, taken as one novel, is my favorite; the Bene Gesserit from those novels are the most fascinatingly realized community I've ever experienced in literature. The original novel would be next on my list, I find it so incredibly romantic and poignant. Even though Herbert's themes aren't fully matured in that novel, it has a verve and emotional impact that make it a joy read. Also love GEoD, its very different from all the rest, but its so intellectually engaging that its a very addicting read.

Brian and Kevin's books suck.

Anyway, look forward to some good Dune discussions. I've actually been doing some character sketches as part of my evening warm-down drawing time, and I'd love to hear what you all think. These characters are so fully realized in the novels that feedback from readers is really a lot more interesting to me as an artist. Here's the first, Siona from GEoD: http://adammasterman.deviantart.com/art ... -325377427. Taraza is coming soon. :)
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Re: Hey there...

Post by Freakzilla »

:text-welcomeconfetti: :text-welcomeconfetti:
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Serkanner
Administrator

Post by Serkanner »

Welcome Home!

I like the drawing a lot. Looking forward to see more of your work.
"... the mystery of life isn't a problem to solve but a reality to experience."

“There is no escape—we pay for the violence of our ancestors.”

Sandrider: "Keith went to Bobo's for a weekend of drinking, watched some DVDs,
and wrote a Dune Novel."
Adam Masterman

Post by Adam Masterman »

Thanks, guys, glad to be here. And here is that Taraza portrait I mentioned; hard to do her justice, but fun to work on: http://adammasterman.deviantart.com/art ... -325771162
Visigoth

Post by Visigoth »

Hi and Higher.
ImageImageImage
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Hellooooooooo!!!!!

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
lotek

Post by lotek »

Achlan wasachlan, and glad to find you here !

Your Dune characters are really cool, I hope to see more !
Spice is the worm's gonads.
Tleszer

Post by Tleszer »

Welcome! :orcs-buttshake:
DUNE, as interpreted by a blue man with a green tushie
ULFsurfer

Post by ULFsurfer »

Yeah nice drawings! Welcome to this place.
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

welcome
"If he was here to discuss Dune, he sure as hell picked a dumb way to do it." -Omphalos :character-cookiemonster:

Happy Memorial Day everyone! -James C. Harwood

"Three of my videos have over 100 views."
"Over 500 views for my 'Open Question' video." -Nebiros
trang

Post by trang »

Well Met and Welcome!! Grab a Spice beer and join in!

5 o 5 lasguns on the art!!

Humbly ask if anything on Murbella or Odrade?
"Long Live the Fighters", "Dragon.....the other white meat."

Adam Masterman

Post by Adam Masterman »

Thanks again for the welcomes, all. I've been formulating my thoughts on the issue of BH/KJA's "Dune" stuff; since this is the obvious place to voice it, but I'm not sure I have much to say that hasn't been said. Personally, I think that Herbert ultimately intended Dune to end at Chapterhouse; because of the loss of his wife and creative partner (and possibly his own failing health). I think he may have initially conceived on a continuance, but ended up concluding instead with Daniel and Marty as a disguised meta-commentary from him and his wife. Just my opinion, of course, but if I had to bet, that's where my money would go.

The larger issue, for me, is that even if book 7 was 75% written, Frank Herbert, more than *any* other author, simply can't be ghost-written or handed off from. His work, both with Dune and other stories (I LOVE Dosadi), in addition to being the best of the genre, was also incredibly idiosyncratic and subtle. For me, there is no distinction between his distinctive voice, his unique and probing intellect, and the experience of Dune. Even a *better* writer (if one were even alive) would have botched it, because his vision was so unique and distinctive. So for me the question is pretty simple: Dune ends at Chapterhouse because Frank Herbert died.

So, on some level, I can view Brian and Kevin as just two more fan-fiction writers. Not Dune, but hey, if you like it, go to town. Two things, however, do stick in my craw a bit (here comes some venting). One is the shameless way in which they wrap themselves in the cloak of Frank's work and portray their stuff as part of the same creative endeavor. I've read 5 of their "Dune" novels, (the prequels, Hunters and Sandworms), and its pretty clear that these are KJA novels with Brian Herbert's name on the cover. Add in the myth of the long-lost notes, and the result is, in my mind, a very deceptive campaign of selling their work as, to some degree, the work of Frank. You can see this any time you walk in a bookstore and see all Dune novels and "Dune" novels interspersed on the shelves (again, Brian's last name coming in very handy). Sadly, in most bookstores, novels like Whipping Star are squeezed out to make room for House Corrino, which is beyond tragic.

My other (lessor) problem is that having Dune novels written by Anderson, of all people, is kind of salt in the wound. Even if you have to write more Dune, did you have to follow up the most thoughtful, reflective and intricate thinker in the genre with the shallowest and most superficial? I can imagine myself being a lot more sympathetic to the whole thing if it felt like they were treating Dune as something special, and really choosing a successor with care (I'm mostly very pleased with Sanderson's work on The Wheel of Time, which I enjoy quite a bit, though its not on the same level as Dune). Instead, they chose Anderson, who has no original works of note at all, but has instead cranked out dozens upon dozens of Star Wars, X-files and other filler novels, quick and profitable fan-fluff. It feels like cashing in on Dune, not revering it; and realizing that one's own devotion to a creative work far exceeds that of the current copyright owners is depressing, to say the least. I'm not even against fan-fluff; a lot of it I really enjoy, but I've always felt that Dune was different and special.

Anyway, now that I've got that off my chest... :) I'm glad I found this place because its fired me up for Dune again. I think I've shamelessly gone 8-10 months without re-reading the series, so I dusted off book one the other day for another go. And I hope to get some more character art done if I can squeeze it around my schedule. Trang, I'm not sure when, but I'll give one of those two ladies a go when I can (and post a link). Peace,

Adam
ULFsurfer

Post by ULFsurfer »

:clap:

Well said!
And I agree with you 100% with both Chapterhouse and KJA. At least it's a comfort to know that history will judge these two gentlemen harshly.
lotek

Post by lotek »

You know what, I think that someone at the HLP had Anderson and Sanderson mixed up, and Keith played along until the contract was signed. Then he showed them his dictahiker and his dvd collection of low budget scyfy crap, and hopped away to do some editing.

But please vent, there nothing like new water to stir up the Never to forgive, never to forget.
Last edited by lotek on 10 Sep 2012 06:52, edited 1 time in total.
trang

Post by trang »

Adam Masterman wrote:Thanks again for the welcomes, all. I've been formulating my thoughts on the issue of BH/KJA's "Dune" stuff; since this is the obvious place to voice it, but I'm not sure I have much to say that hasn't been said. Personally, I think that Herbert ultimately intended Dune to end at Chapterhouse; because of the loss of his wife and creative partner (and possibly his own failing health). I think he may have initially conceived on a continuance, but ended up concluding instead with Daniel and Marty as a disguised meta-commentary from him and his wife. Just my opinion, of course, but if I had to bet, that's where my money would go.

The larger issue, for me, is that even if book 7 was 75% written, Frank Herbert, more than *any* other author, simply can't be ghost-written or handed off from. His work, both with Dune and other stories (I LOVE Dosadi), in addition to being the best of the genre, was also incredibly idiosyncratic and subtle. For me, there is no distinction between his distinctive voice, his unique and probing intellect, and the experience of Dune. Even a *better* writer (if one were even alive) would have botched it, because his vision was so unique and distinctive. So for me the question is pretty simple: Dune ends at Chapterhouse because Frank Herbert died.

So, on some level, I can view Brian and Kevin as just two more fan-fiction writers. Not Dune, but hey, if you like it, go to town. Two things, however, do stick in my craw a bit (here comes some venting). One is the shameless way in which they wrap themselves in the cloak of Frank's work and portray their stuff as part of the same creative endeavor. I've read 5 of their "Dune" novels, (the prequels, Hunters and Sandworms), and its pretty clear that these are KJA novels with Brian Herbert's name on the cover. Add in the myth of the long-lost notes, and the result is, in my mind, a very deceptive campaign of selling their work as, to some degree, the work of Frank. You can see this any time you walk in a bookstore and see all Dune novels and "Dune" novels interspersed on the shelves (again, Brian's last name coming in very handy). Sadly, in most bookstores, novels like Whipping Star are squeezed out to make room for House Corrino, which is beyond tragic.

My other (lessor) problem is that having Dune novels written by Anderson, of all people, is kind of salt in the wound. Even if you have to write more Dune, did you have to follow up the most thoughtful, reflective and intricate thinker in the genre with the shallowest and most superficial? I can imagine myself being a lot more sympathetic to the whole thing if it felt like they were treating Dune as something special, and really choosing a successor with care (I'm mostly very pleased with Sanderson's work on The Wheel of Time, which I enjoy quite a bit, though its not on the same level as Dune). Instead, they chose Anderson, who has no original works of note at all, but has instead cranked out dozens upon dozens of Star Wars, X-files and other filler novels, quick and profitable fan-fluff. It feels like cashing in on Dune, not revering it; and realizing that one's own devotion to a creative work far exceeds that of the current copyright owners is depressing, to say the least. I'm not even against fan-fluff; a lot of it I really enjoy, but I've always felt that Dune was different and special.

Anyway, now that I've got that off my chest... :) I'm glad I found this place because its fired me up for Dune again. I think I've shamelessly gone 8-10 months without re-reading the series, so I dusted off book one the other day for another go. And I hope to get some more character art done if I can squeeze it around my schedule. Trang, I'm not sure when, but I'll give one of those two ladies a go when I can (and post a link). Peace,

Adam

Well said new Dune brother, and understand about schedule, will look forward to your art:)
"Long Live the Fighters", "Dragon.....the other white meat."

Adam Masterman

Post by Adam Masterman »

Haven't gotten to Odrade or Murbella yet, but I did a quick take on Ghanima tonight: http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mabi4 ... o1_500.jpg
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

(She had red hair.) :wink:
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Adam Masterman

Post by Adam Masterman »

Freakzilla wrote:(She had red hair.) :wink:

Doh! Okay, I fixed it: http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mabi4 ... 1_1280.jpg

And... I attempted Murbella (this one was difficult): http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_madgg ... 1_1280.jpg
D Pope

Post by D Pope »

Pretty cool Adam, well done.
Leto II is gone for good, except for OM. The "pearl" was just that; a miniscule portion of what Leto was, and not a compressed version of the whole. The pearl that the worms have do not make them Leto, or in any way similar to him.
-Omphalos
Serkanner
Administrator

Post by Serkanner »

Yeah, very cool indeed. I like the Murbella drawing a lot.
"... the mystery of life isn't a problem to solve but a reality to experience."

“There is no escape—we pay for the violence of our ancestors.”

Sandrider: "Keith went to Bobo's for a weekend of drinking, watched some DVDs,
and wrote a Dune Novel."
lotek

Post by lotek »

Adam, you must make avatars :mrgreen:
Adam Masterman

Post by Adam Masterman »

lotek wrote:Adam, you must make avatars :mrgreen:
Making new originals might strain my schedule a bit, but you can feel free to use anything in my gallery if you like: http://adammasterman.deviantart.com/gallery/?catpath=/

And, if you lack the imaging software, I could crop and compress something for you to avatar size, no problem (it takes about 30 seconds). Just let me know,

Adam
lotek

Post by lotek »

t'was worth a try, but your generous offer of compensation is more than satisfying, thanks !

I'll be ok for resizing, I'll have a closer look at your gallery during the week :)