Kja's excuse ? "it's Frank Herbert's fault"

Moderators: Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ, Omphalos

Ampoliros

Re: Kja's excuse ? "it's Frank Herbert's fault"

Post by Ampoliros »

gurensan wrote:I can't read the interview. Call me newly, selectively illiterate.

But it did occur to me that the reason why hunters and sandsquirms were so long (and split into two paperbacks to be purchased separately) is because he takes 5 pages to do what FH does in a single paragraph.
But mostly because of the bolded part. Why sell one book when you can sell two! Fanbois love that trilogy crap, especially when its easily digested. And when publisher's look at your resume, they see more books written and sold. KJA is a businessman and a circus hack first, and a writer never.

If you could pick a character/institution from Dune to write the new books, most of us would pick Leto II or Paul. KJA would pick CHOAM.
Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
Demerzel

Post by Demerzel »

Q)...What is it about teaming up with other writers/creators that you find so appealing and who else do you wish you could work with?

Kevin: I enjoy brainstorming with fellow writers, exchanging ideas, and learning from other writers’ techniques. To me, it’s a natural thing, almost like a game, to work with someone else to tell stories. You have to check your ego at the door, make sure you both have the same vision for the novel, and lean on each other.
I weep.
When Paul was three I found him wearing lingerie I was planning to wear for my Duke. I asked him: "How can this be?" and he answered: "For I am the Kwisatz Haderach!" I was proud since these were the first words Paul ever spoke, but now I knew for certain that my Paul was a special boy. I brought him to Duncan's room while he was busy "training" a young maidservant in the Art of Sword-Handling. My Paul shall be the best! - Tleszer
Mr. Teg

Post by Mr. Teg »

Demerzel wrote:
Q)...What is it about teaming up with other writers/creators that you find so appealing and who else do you wish you could work with?

Kevin: I enjoy brainstorming with fellow writers, exchanging ideas, and learning from other writers’ techniques. To me, it’s a natural thing, almost like a game, to work with someone else to tell stories. You have to check your ego at the door, make sure you both have the same vision for the novel, and lean on each other.
Q) What is it about teaming up with other writers/creators that you find so appealing and who else do you wish you could work with?

Kevin: I enjoy barnstorming with fellow writers, trying different livestock, and learning from others' depravity. To me, it's a natural thing, almost like a game, to lend a helping hand. You have to check your ego at the door, make sure you both are sensitive to each other's needs, yet really lean into each other while rolling in the hay. A little known fact is I was the screenwriter for the CSI episode "Fur and Loathing."

Q) Your wife is often by your side at book signings and conventions. Is she also an important collaborator?

Kevin: Sometimes...mostly she just likes rolling in the mud. I learned about bestial power under the tutelage of L Ron Hubbard. He was not only a supeb writer but truly a master of the occult. The core of the WOTF is actually centered on the power of the beast. The letters W.O.T.F. also means Writers of the Fur. The first original fur con...

Q) The WOTF is an occult organization? Isn't Brian Herbert both your collaborator and member of WotF, too?

Kevin: Yes, he's a little chicken fucker. You can read about his father's chicken coup in the Dreamer of Dune.

Q) Do you have a favorite animal?

Kevin: My spirit guide is a donkey..

Q) Donkey?

Kevin: A donkey is rugged, climbs mountains, handles a huge load.
CHOAM
Combine Herbert Ober Anderson Mercantile, Narf!
Brian, Kevin & Byron :? :cylon101: :roll: The HLP
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

:D

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

Wouldn't he be more of a mule? A bastard hybrid of a two working animals into a genetically sterile half breed with all the worst qualities of both its parents and hardly any of the good, so much so that one of the good traits is said sterility keeping it from breeding?
Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
lotek

Post by lotek »

My spirit guide is a donkey..
Behold, as a wild ass in the mountains, go I forth to wreck someone's work.
Spice is the worm's gonads.
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

In your face, space coyote!
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
lotek

Post by lotek »

I find that reference cromulent

Also, I stick that banana up your ass, space monkey !
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

lotek wrote:I find that reference cromulent
It is...

In the Simpsons episode where Homer eats the Guatemalan Insanity Pepper, he see's a coyote in the sky (voice of Johnny Cash) who tells him he is his spirit guide and to find his sould mate. When Homer realizes Marge is his soul mate, that is his reply.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
lotek

Post by lotek »

I had to google your quote though, as much as I like the simpsons, since I've seen quite a few episodes in french (in the dark ages, before online streaming) I never heard the original word.
As a note I'd like to say that being bilingual I'm quite picky on translations/adaptations, and the Simpsons' french voices are just as good, even better sometimes than the original(and you can trust my objectivity because apart from that I believe 99% of the French versions of anything are shit_Malcolm in the Middle was a good one too,a nd of course the A team.)

And I did see that episode but didn't know it was voiced by the Man in Black !
Thanks for the info :)
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

I think that was one of their best.
~Pink Snowman
lotek

Post by lotek »

knowing it has Johnny Cash in it makes it even more special :)
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Well, I had to google 'cromulent' so we're even! :P
~Pink Snowman
SadisticCynic

Post by SadisticCynic »

How does cromulent come out in French?
Ah English, the language where pretty much any word can have any meaning! - A Thing of Eternity
lotek

Post by lotek »

good question, I'll look it up :)
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Mr. Teg wrote:
Demerzel wrote:

Q) What is it about teaming up with other writers/creators that you find so appealing and who else do you wish you could work with?

Kevin: I enjoy barnstorming with fellow writers, trying different livestock, and learning from others' depravity. To me, it's a natural thing, almost like a game, to lend a helping hand. You have to check your ego at the door, make sure you both are sensitive to each other's needs, yet really lean into each other while rolling in the hay. A little known fact is I was the screenwriter for the CSI episode "Fur and Loathing."

Q) Your wife is often by your side at book signings and conventions. Is she also an important collaborator?

Kevin: Sometimes...mostly she just likes rolling in the mud. I learned about bestial power under the tutelage of L Ron Hubbard. He was not only a supeb writer but truly a master of the occult. The core of the WOTF is actually centered on the power of the beast. The letters W.O.T.F. also means Writers of the Fur. The first original fur con...

Q) The WOTF is an occult organization? Isn't Brian Herbert both your collaborator and member of WotF, too?

Kevin: Yes, he's a little chicken fucker. You can read about his father's chicken coup in the Dreamer of Dune.

Q) Do you have a favorite animal?

Kevin: My spirit guide is a donkey..

Q) Donkey?

Kevin: A donkey is rugged, climbs mountains, handles a huge load.
:laughing-rolling:

:clap:

Epic.
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Holy crap, I forgot about this one. Nice.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
Shaitan

Post by Shaitan »

Omphalos wrote:
Serkanner wrote:
Freakzilla wrote:
Serkanner wrote:
Freakzilla wrote:Yes but we wouldn't be together at all if not for our love of FH.
:clap: ... indeed we are. If not for Frank Herbert my girlfriend and I wouldn't be together ( for almost nine years now ).
You're a lucky guy to find such a cutie that's a Dune fan, I'm jealous. :mrgreen:
I am a VERY lucky guy. Previously Laura wasn't much of a science fiction fan but just liked Dune. After she met me I have bombarded her with great science fictions novels. She has devoured books by Banks, Mieville, Niven, Pohl, Heinlein, reynolds et al. Her education is progressing very nicely.
I prayed for that with my wife. Nope.
I'm somewhere in between....I wish my wife had more time and perhaps a deeper appreciation for the great works of the sci-fi pantheon, but she's read a few and at least understands *some* of my references when I get babbling on about them -- particularly in terms of explaining my influences and "what-not-to-do's" (here's where the KJA hate comes back into the topic again, for one thing) -- plus she comes from a nice Trekkie family so I can't entirely fault her for sort of only having one foot into that world. She does make an effort, and does have an interest, it's just not the kind of uberfan supergeek thing I might have wished for in an ideal world....but then, it's hard to find one of those girls that also likes to mountain bike, and while I was still healthy, we did a lot of riding together. So I really shouldn't go complaining that I didn't get a lot in the lady/reproductive partner department.

Our two amazing kids, at least one of which is a rabid epic sci-fi fan already and has grown up on tales from my own planned works (if only I'd recorded all those nights talking to him in bed, I'd probably have my series scripts or at least the detailed outlines 2/3rds finished by now, heh!) and the other who shows much interest but is still a little young to expose to most of the written greats or a good portion of the film versions yet -- are a testament to that. 8-)
"When the going gets weird, the Weird turn Pro." -Hunter S. Thompson
"Man, a guy gets drunk *once* and it's all anyone remembers..." -HBJ