Comic Books

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Re: Comic Books

Post by Nekhrun »

lotek wrote:Always been a Marvel fan, they were quite expensive for a kid at the time but I'd read them from the shops, they knew me and let me use them as a library. And of course my favourite character is Warlock, as some of you may know. ;)
I was more of a Marvel fan as a kid, but I just don't like how dark and violent the X-books have gotten.

Warlock was always one of my favorites too, but Magik was always my favorite.

That New Mutants series back in the 80's produced some pretty strong characters and good stories.
"If he was here to discuss Dune, he sure as hell picked a dumb way to do it." -Omphalos :character-cookiemonster:

Happy Memorial Day everyone! -James C. Harwood

"Three of my videos have over 100 views."
"Over 500 views for my 'Open Question' video." -Nebiros
lotek

Post by lotek »

I can see why you'd like her :)

Not familiar with her character but nothing wikipedia can't cure.

I understand where you come from with the dark xmen, I'm not really sure where I stand here since I know more about the oldies. Of course Wolverine might be an exception but I remember the Madripoor series where Logan finds the remains of a plane where one of his friends was on board when it crashed, to find they've been slaughtered by pirates. He then proceed to track them down and ruthlessly kills them all. I still have that image of the whole camp literally jumping on him before he sends them flying.

I'm trying to remember the title of that xmen storyline that happens during a parallel universe medieval England, where Dr Strange is the magic advisor to the Queen and Fury the master spy, bought it a while ago but I can't recall where the hell I put it...

EDIT TO ADD

ah the New Mutants, always had a thing for Rahne !

EDIT TO ADD, again
Magik (Illyana Nikolievna Rasputina - typically anglicized to Rasputin) is a Marvel Comics character, associated with the X-Men. She is the younger sister of the Russian X-Man Colossus.
it's Illyana ! Damnit of course !!
I still remember that time where they find her spewing demons from her eyes/mouth (?), with all the other kids chasing them in the house !
Spice is the worm's gonads.
Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

Mmmm, Blink...

Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

Psylocke

Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

lotek wrote:I understand where you come from with the dark xmen, I'm not really sure where I stand here since I know more about the oldies. Of course Wolverine might be an exception but I remember the Madripoor series where Logan finds the remains of a plane where one of his friends was on board when it crashed, to find they've been slaughtered by pirates. He then proceed to track them down and ruthlessly kills them all. I still have that image of the whole camp literally jumping on him before he sends them flying.
No question that there has always been some violence, but stuff like what you mention was limited to the Wolverine series. Once the Age of Apocalypse storyline ended it seems like there were just way too many characters than they knew what to do with, the movie was out, the costumes were all black leather and things were more about shock value than good storytelling. It just seemed boring to me.
lotek wrote:I'm trying to remember the title of that xmen storyline that happens during a parallel universe medieval England, where Dr Strange is the magic advisor to the Queen and Fury the master spy, bought it a while ago but I can't recall where the hell I put it...
Are you talking about this one:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marvel_1602" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
by Neil Gaiman?
"If he was here to discuss Dune, he sure as hell picked a dumb way to do it." -Omphalos :character-cookiemonster:

Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Robspierre wrote:Omph, if you have the Comixology app on your iPad, DC puts out a digital digest every week. Each issue contains teasers from most of the offerings for that week. The last three each contain 4-6 pages of the Before Watchmen titles released so far.

Rob
Thanks Rob! I do use that app.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

I had my favorite characters, but I tended to follow particular writers or artists around and would latch onto whatever they were doing at the time. My favorite of all time is John Byrne, particularly what he did in the years before (and through) Dark Phoenix, then to Fantastic Four, Avengers, etc. Haven't seen what he is up to recently, but I heard he does some independent stuff now. I remember being bored witless after Byrne left X-Men and they got into the Brood story line.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

Omphalos wrote:I remember being bored witless after Byrne left X-Men and they got into the Brood story line.
Yes, but the Claremont stories after that were great; Fall of the Mutants; Genosha; Inferno; X-Tinction Agenda. Almost everything from the X-Men based out of Australia was great. There was some great characterization and artwork in those days. I loved Gateway & Longshot. Even Havok wasn't quite as lame after Inferno.