Post by lotek »

I don't mind shooting fish in a barrel
Spice is the worm's gonads.
D Pope

Re: Praise for Brian Herbert and Kevin J. Anderson

Post by D Pope »

Freakzilla wrote:
G. Gordon Liddy wrote:"In the battle of witts, gentlemen, you are unarmed."
The phrase I've alwasy heard was, "I refuse to have a battle of witts with an unarmed person."
That's the way I remember Robert Conrad saying it in the movie. (right before proving it to the warden :lol: )
Leto II is gone for good, except for OM. The "pearl" was just that; a miniscule portion of what Leto was, and not a compressed version of the whole. The pearl that the worms have do not make them Leto, or in any way similar to him.
-Omphalos
lotek

Re:

Post by lotek »

SandChigger wrote:
orald wrote:What are the standarts for "best seller" anyway? Don't you see "best seller" on book covers even before the book is out, as part of the "review" quotes and all?
ZING!!! :lol:

Yeah, Sadworms was a fricking "bestseller" before they even finished writing it! :D

:shock:

Damn...those cover designers at TOR are PRESCIENT!!! :(

They're manatees !
lotek

Re:

Post by lotek »

Robspierre wrote:
Omphalos wrote:Isnt it a well known fact that KJA is, in fact, a scientologist? Factually speaking?

I haven't found anything yet that points to KJA being a scientologist, I did find this on the bottom of his wiki page though:

Categories: 1962 births | American Roman Catholics | American science fiction writers | Living people

I wonder if he is still a practicing catholic?

Rob

I doubt that such an ego would accept to submit to Tom Cruise's advances, but hey what do I know ?
Serkanner
Administrator

Re: Re:

Post by Serkanner »

lotek wrote:
SandChigger wrote:
orald wrote:What are the standarts for "best seller" anyway? Don't you see "best seller" on book covers even before the book is out, as part of the "review" quotes and all?
ZING!!! :lol:

Yeah, Sadworms was a fricking "bestseller" before they even finished writing it! :D

:shock:

Damn...those cover designers at TOR are PRESCIENT!!! :(

They're manatees !

Ahhhhh ... mermaids!!!!
"... the mystery of life isn't a problem to solve but a reality to experience."

“There is no escape—we pay for the violence of our ancestors.”

Sandrider: "Keith went to Bobo's for a weekend of drinking, watched some DVDs,
and wrote a Dune Novel."
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

lotek wrote:I don't mind shooting fish in a barrel
Hell, evidently you "shoot" at the drop of a hat. :P
Serkanner wrote:
lotek wrote:Image
Ahhhhh ... mermaids!!!!
Hubbah! :D
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

SandChigger wrote:
Serkanner wrote:
Ahhhhh ... mermaids!!!!
Hubbah! :D
Looks like the chicks that want to meet me on POF.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Freakzilla wrote:Looks like the chicks that want to meet me on POF.
:hand: :naughty: :lol:
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Ok... like the white ones... :roll:
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Sandwurm88
Not Soleman

Post by Sandwurm88 »

It seems to me that BH and KJA have pretty much just gotten boring. The paltry praise and occasional best-seller statuses have stopped and even people here who hate them with a passion can't really insult them any more. They're just a pair of bores who, in BH's case, say nothing, or in KJA's case, spew the same egotistical shit on Twitter day after day, to the point where you can't even get mad at his asinine tweets...it's more like you give his Twitter a nonchalant glance every few weeks and are like, "Eh, same old shit. This douche still has his head up his own ass...whatever..."
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Sandwurm88 wrote:...and even people here who hate them with a passion can't really insult them any more.
I think you underestimate my members.
~Pink Snowman
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

Sandwurm88 wrote:...and even people here who hate them with a passion can't really insult them any more.
Who? Those corpse fucking fame whores?
"If he was here to discuss Dune, he sure as hell picked a dumb way to do it." -Omphalos :character-cookiemonster:

Happy Memorial Day everyone! -James C. Harwood

"Three of my videos have over 100 views."
"Over 500 views for my 'Open Question' video." -Nebiros
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

See?
~Pink Snowman
lotek

Post by lotek »

SandChigger wrote:
I agree that sometimes it spurts, but it's just because I love you guys so much !

As for stopping the insults, well as demonstrated above, like fuck they're gonna stop !

On the contrary, the more pitiful they look the more I think about all those times where they gloated and pissed all over our sand... so now it's the "I told you so" time !

Did I hear a hat falling ?
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Nah, it was just Sloey's testicles descending...
lotek

Post by lotek »

Drop the ball !
Sardaukar Capt

Post by Sardaukar Capt »

The OP just proves that the HLP is in it just for the money. The literary legacy of Frank Herbert is just a cash cow for them. If they were only concerned with continuing the stories Frank never got to tell from his notes then they would have brought in a reputable and true author to partner with Brian. But they didn't want that. KJA sold them a bill of goods to turn Dune into a virtual puppy-farm in the same way Star Wars has been whore'd out.

All these McDune books do is mine the subtext of Frank's Dune Chronicles using those as their plots and as a result have zero originality and the dropping sales figures just go to prove people are getting tired of it. Frank purposefully created a huge subtext/underlying story with brilliant knowledge gaps that would spark the readers imagination to complete the underlying story in their own minds. He did this to greater effect than any book I've ever read and its one of the main reasons its a masterpiece. That is why the McDune books read like instructions to something you would get at IKEA. There is ZERO subtext/underlying story to the McDune books. Their whole MO is to mine Frank's books for the knowledge gaps he put there on purpose and BH/KJA then use those as the basis of all these McDune novels. And they've done it in such an unimaginative and pedestrian way that its no wonder their books can't even crack the Top 20 anymore even with DUNE plastered on the cover.

I never could make it through Machine Crud. It reads like a bad Star Wars novel (big shock there).

Also, as others have pointed out, KJA is only a best seller because all those books that have made it on that list have X-Files, Dune, or Star Wars plastered on the cover and the overwhelming majority of those sales are to people buying for series or IP loyalty and NOT because KJA is the author. If that were the case then his own IP books would sell just as well and they don't.
The name Atreides was also consciously chosen. It is the family name of Agamemnon. Says Herbert, "I wanted a sense of monumental aristocracy, but with tragedy hanging over them--and in our culture, Agamemnon personifies that."
Frank Herbert by Tim O'Reilly
http://tim.oreilly.com/herbert/

Ghanima said. "We Atreides go back to Agamemnon..."
Distracted, Irulan asked: "Who's Agamemnon?"

Children of Dune by Frank Herbert

WTF? A BG forgets the Titans?! :)
Shepherd492

Post by Shepherd492 »

I read one of KJA's X-Files tie-ins, Antibodies, and I was stunned at how terrible it was.

I should qualify that by saying that I haven't read the nudune books, and when I read the Jedi Academy Trilogy, I was too young to notice things like writing style or characterization or plot structure, etc. So this is the first KJA "novel" I've truly read, though of course I've heard plenty from you guys about how horrible he is.

It is one thing to hear about something, and quite another to experience it first hand, so I was still amazed at how bad this book was. I couldn't believe how he managed to use the two principal characters of the X-Files so little, while repeating the same plot points a billion times and using the most juvenile prose known to man. I've already bought his other two X-Files books (yep, I'm an idiot) so I will probably end up slogging through them, along with the nudune books, which I also have.

I've got to give credit to anyone who has managed to make it through one of his Dune books because they are about 3x the size of Antibodies, and X-Files doesn't quite compare to Dune in terms of intellectual content, so I'd imagine that would be an even more frustrating experience...there is nearly nothing good about this book.
My Youtube --- http://www.youtube.com/user/Shepherd492?feature=mhee" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
My Book Blog --- http://shepherd492.blogspot.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Currently Reading:
Deus Ex: Icarus Effect
Heretics of Dune
Star Wars: Heir to the Empire
Star Wars: Droids: The Kalarba Adventures (comic book)

D Pope

Post by D Pope »

X-files, Star Wars, mcDune, it's all just sand in the box to kevie.
Only the names change; gun, blaster, maula pistol... Scully, Leia , Jessica...
He's the Ely Whitney of fiction.
Leto II is gone for good, except for OM. The "pearl" was just that; a miniscule portion of what Leto was, and not a compressed version of the whole. The pearl that the worms have do not make them Leto, or in any way similar to him.
-Omphalos
lotek

Post by lotek »

:roll:
Sardaukar Capt

Post by Sardaukar Capt »

I'm willing to bet "A Customer" was probably KJA himself or one of his sycophants. A 5th grader review if there ever was one. This was probably back before Amazon tied reviews to accounts.

The standards to be hired to write these fast-food style book franchises is pretty damn low. Its still amazing he brags about it to this day.
The name Atreides was also consciously chosen. It is the family name of Agamemnon. Says Herbert, "I wanted a sense of monumental aristocracy, but with tragedy hanging over them--and in our culture, Agamemnon personifies that."
Frank Herbert by Tim O'Reilly
http://tim.oreilly.com/herbert/

Ghanima said. "We Atreides go back to Agamemnon..."
Distracted, Irulan asked: "Who's Agamemnon?"

Children of Dune by Frank Herbert

WTF? A BG forgets the Titans?! :)
Shepherd492

Post by Shepherd492 »

:roll:
I can't believe it has 4.5 stars on Amazon. The saddest part is that it is extremely unlikely that ALL of the 62 "positive" reviews are bots. More likely than not, we have some idiots out there...I'm going to have to post my review later! :twisted:
My Youtube --- http://www.youtube.com/user/Shepherd492?feature=mhee" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
My Book Blog --- http://shepherd492.blogspot.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Currently Reading:
Deus Ex: Icarus Effect
Heretics of Dune
Star Wars: Heir to the Empire
Star Wars: Droids: The Kalarba Adventures (comic book)

lotek

Post by lotek »

That's what we call shill-sign ^^
(the likes of which Gawd...)
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Just saw Project Gutenberg post this article:

The Best Book Reviews Money Can Buy
~Pink Snowman
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Freakzilla wrote:Just saw Project Gutenberg post this article:

The Best Book Reviews Money Can Buy
Good article. I think I was solicited by one of these guys once, and it looks like they are still in business.

http://tau.solahpmo.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1567" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!